Help with a Fractional Equation

• MHB
  • Thread starter Duckfan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fractional
In summary, the speaker is doing well in algebra but struggling with a fraction-related equation. They have attempted to solve the problem by converting the fraction to a decimal, but have not been successful. They are seeking help in understanding where they went wrong.
Duckfan
For most of the algebra questions I'm working on, I'm doing okay, with an exception here and there. The good news for those who have helped me, I'm getting a handle on the addition and associative properties and finally learned I needed to subtract on both sides of equation. Feeling better about that.

However, I'm on a problem that is fraction related equation-I know how to convert to decimal. But I'm apparently over looking something. But I assume I have to convert to decimal. Yes?

The problem: 5/9 (F-32); F=77

To explain what I did in my attempt to solve, converted 5/9 to a decimal by dividing 9 into 5-which required adding a 0's which came to .55 repeating. But trying to work both sides of the equation is not getting me the answer book says. So I'm a bit stumped since this is first fraction equation I've tried to solve-with no luck and lots of frustration.

What am I not doing right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Duckfan said:
For most of the algebra questions I'm working on, I'm doing okay, with an exception here and there. The good news for those who have helped me, I'm getting a handle on the addition and associative properties and finally learned I needed to subtract on both sides of equation. Feeling better about that.

However, I'm on a problem that is fraction related equation-I know how to convert to decimal. But I'm apparently over looking something. But I assume I have to convert to decimal. Yes?

The problem: 5/9 (F-32); F=77

To explain what I did in my attempt to solve, converted 5/9 to a decimal by dividing 9 into 5-which required adding a 0's which came to .55 repeating. But trying to work both sides of the equation is not getting me the answer book says. So I'm a bit stumped since this is first fraction equation I've tried to solve-with no luck and lots of frustration.

What am I not doing right?

Let F be 77, then F - 32 = 77 - 32 = 45.

What's 1/9 of 45?

What's 5/9 of 45?

Related to Help with a Fractional Equation

1. What is a fractional equation?

A fractional equation is an equation where one or more of the terms is a fraction or contains a variable in the denominator.

2. How do I solve a fractional equation?

To solve a fractional equation, you can use the process of cross-multiplication, where you multiply both sides of the equation by the common denominator.

3. Can a fractional equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a fractional equation can have multiple solutions. It is important to check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation to ensure it is valid.

4. Can I simplify a fractional equation?

Yes, you can simplify a fractional equation by reducing the fraction to its simplest form. This can make the equation easier to solve.

5. Are there any special rules for solving fractional equations?

Yes, when solving fractional equations, it is important to remember to exclude any solutions that would result in a zero in the denominator, as this would make the equation undefined.