Subsystem has no wave function

In summary, if you have two subsystems that are maximally entangled, then there can be a wave function for the composite system, but not for each subsystem.
mieral
It is mentioned that subsystems don't have a wave function, in general. If two subsystems are entangled, there can be a wave function for the composite system, but not for each subsystem.

Let's say you have two entangled photon pair.. it has a wave function but not for each separate photon.. but then a photon as quantum stuff always have a wave function.. you can entangled one of the photons to another quantum object.. so how can you state the subsystem has no wave function?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't say that a system has a wavefunction or doesn't have a wavefunction - the wavefunction is just a mathematical formalism that we developed to describe a quantum mechanical system. However, it happens that the wavefunction formalism can only be used to describe what we call pure states. It cannot be used to describe mixed states, which behave as classical mixtures (i.e. not superpositions) of pure states.

Mixed states occur in a variety of contexts, such as coupling to a noisy environment etc. Let's consider your example of a maximally entangled pair of qubits that can be either spin up or spin down. If we consider the pair as a whole, then it exists in a pure state. However, if we look at only one qubit and ignore the existence of the other, when we make many measurements on an ensemble of identically prepared pairs, we will find that qubit to be spin up 50% of the time and spin down the other 50% of the time. Note however that this is not a superposition of up and down. In order to describe this classical mixture behaviour, the wavefunction formalism therefore fails, and we have to introduce the notion of a density matrix or operator to describe the system.

Likes Paul Colby
Fightfish said:
I wouldn't say that a system has a wavefunction or doesn't have a wavefunction - the wavefunction is just a mathematical formalism that we developed to describe a quantum mechanical system. However, it happens that the wavefunction formalism can only be used to describe what we call pure states. It cannot be used to describe mixed states, which behave as classical mixtures (i.e. not superpositions) of pure states.

Mixed states occur in a variety of contexts, such as coupling to a noisy environment etc. Let's consider your example of a maximally entangled pair of qubits that can be either spin up or spin down. If we consider the pair as a whole, then it exists in a pure state. However, if we look at only one qubit and ignore the existence of the other, when we make many measurements on an ensemble of identically prepared pairs, we will find that qubit to be spin up 50% of the time and spin down the other 50% of the time. Note however that this is not a superposition of up and down. In order to describe this classical mixture behaviour, the wavefunction formalism therefore fails, and we have to introduce the notion of a density matrix or operator to describe the system.

But if we used Bohmian Mechanics where the particles really have a wave function. Then when we just looked at the subsystem of an entangled system, how do you force it to have a wave function? and what kind of wave function would it be (theoretically Bohmian wise)?

Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with Bohmian mechanics to be able to describe subsystems of an entangled system within that framework. Perhaps @Demystifier can help us out here?

Fightfish said:
Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with Bohmian mechanics to be able to describe subsystems of an entangled system within that framework.
Bohmian mechanics ascribes a wave function only to the state of the universe, which determines the dynamics of all Bohmian particles.

It does not say anything at all about how the Bohmian dynamics of the universe relates to a putative Bohmian dynamics of a subsystem. The subsystem is described statistically by ordinary quantum mechanics only, which is claimed to be identical with the common formalsim, since the effect of the environment has been traced out.

Likes QuantumQuest
Bohmian mechanics can define a wave function of the subsystem as a conditional wave function. For instance, if ##\Psi(x_1,x_2,t)## is a full wave function, then the conditional wave function is
$$\psi_c(x_1,t)=\Psi(x_1,X_2(t),t)$$
where ##X_2(t)## is the Bohmian trajectory. In general, ##\psi_c(x_1,t)## does not satisfy the Schrodinger equation. This is actually good, because it can explain the effective "collapse" of the conditional wave function.

Furthermore, when the entanglement is absent, i.e. when
$$\Psi(x_1,x_2,t)=\psi_1(x_1,t)\psi_2(x_2,t)$$
then
$$\psi_c(x_1,t)=\psi_1(x_1,t)f(t)$$
where ##f(t)=\psi_2(X_2(t),t)##. The factor ##f(t)## does not influence the trajectory ##X_1(t)##, so the physical content of ##\psi_c(x_1,t)## does not differ from the physical content of standard subsystem wave function ##\psi_1(x_1,t)##.

Demystifier said:
Bohmian mechanics can define a wave function of the subsystem as a conditional wave function. For instance, if ##\Psi(x_1,x_2,t)## is a full wave function, then the conditional wave function is
$$\psi_c(x_1,t)=\Psi(x_1,X_2(t),t)$$
where ##X_2(t)## is the Bohmian trajectory. In general, ##\psi_c(x_1,t)## does not satisfy the Schrodinger equation. This is actually good, because it can explain the effective "collapse" of the conditional wave function.

Furthermore, when the entanglement is absent, i.e. when
$$\Psi(x_1,x_2,t)=\psi_1(x_1,t)\psi_2(x_2,t)$$
then
$$\psi_c(x_1,t)=\psi_1(x_1,t)f(t)$$
where ##f(t)=\psi_2(X_2(t),t)##. The factor ##f(t)## does not influence the trajectory ##X_1(t)##, so the physical content of ##\psi_c(x_1,t)## does not differ from the physical content of standard subsystem wave function ##\psi_1(x_1,t)##.
For a system consisting of two noninteracting subsystems that are entangled with each other, do the subsystems propagate under the conditional Bohmian dynamics in the same way as under the full Bohmian dynamics?

Last edited:
A. Neumaier said:
For a system consisting of two noninteracting subsystems that are entangled with each other, do the subsystems propagate under the conditional Bohmian dynamics as under the full Bohmian dynamics?
I'm not sure I understand the question. Did you perhaps mean or rather than as?
Or if you meant what you wrote, the answer is a trivial yes.

Last edited:
Demystifier said:
I'm not sure I understand the question. Did you perhaps mean or rather than as?
''in the same way as''

Demystifier said:
This is actually good, because it can explain the effective "collapse" of the conditional wave function.
How does it explain the effective "collapse"?

mieral said:
but then a photon as quantum stuff always have a wave function

This is not correct. A quantum system always has a wave function, but a single photon is only a quantum system (instead of just a subsystem) if it is isolated, i.e., if it does not interact with anything else. But if it does not interact with anything else, it can't be entangled with anything else.

A. Neumaier said:
How does it explain the effective "collapse"?
I will explain if you promise that you will not complain that "it is not a rigorous proof". :wink:

Demystifier said:
I will explain if you promise that you will not complain that "it is not a rigorous proof". :wink:
I don't expect any rigorous proof, so I won't complain about that.

A. Neumaier said:
I don't expect any rigorous proof, so I won't complain about that.
Fine. Let ##x_2## represent the collective coordinate for positions of the macroscopic pointer of the measuring apparatus. Then, as I explained to you several times, the total wave function at some fixed time ##t## after the measurement is of the form
$$\Psi(x_1,x_2)=\sum_A c_A \psi_A(x_1) \varphi_A(x_2)$$
where
$$\varphi_A(x_2)\varphi_B(x_2)\simeq 0...(1)$$
for ##A\neq B##. The corresponding conditional wave function is
$$\psi_c(x_1)=\sum_A c_A \psi_A(x_1) \varphi_A(X_2)...(2)$$
where ##X_2## represents the actual particle positions at time ##t##. But from (1) we see that if ##\varphi_A(X_2)## is non-negligible for one value of ##A##, then it is negligible for all other values. Hence (2) reduces to
$$\psi_c(x_1) \simeq c_A \psi_A(x_1) \varphi_A(X_2)\equiv \tilde{c}_A \psi_A(x_1)$$
which corresponds to an effective collapse.

Related to Subsystem has no wave function

What does it mean when a subsystem has no wave function?

When a subsystem has no wave function, it means that the state of the subsystem cannot be described using quantum mechanics. This could be due to a lack of information or understanding about the system, or it could be an indication that classical mechanics is a more appropriate framework for describing the subsystem.

Can a subsystem have no wave function in a quantum system?

Yes, a subsystem can have no wave function in a quantum system. This usually occurs when the subsystem is not isolated and is interacting with other subsystems or the environment, making it difficult to accurately describe its state using quantum mechanics.

What are the implications of a subsystem having no wave function?

The implications of a subsystem having no wave function can vary depending on the specific system and context. In some cases, it may indicate a breakdown of our understanding of the system, while in others it may suggest the need for a different approach or theoretical framework.

How can we determine if a subsystem has no wave function?

Determining if a subsystem has no wave function requires careful analysis of the system and its interactions. This may involve conducting experiments, collecting data, and performing calculations to assess the system's behavior and determine if it can be described using quantum mechanics.

Is it possible for a subsystem to eventually develop a wave function?

Yes, it is possible for a subsystem to eventually develop a wave function. This could happen if the subsystem becomes isolated from its environment or if new information is obtained about the system that allows for a more accurate description using quantum mechanics.