Substitution of variables to remove singularities.

In summary, the student attempted to solve an integral using substitution, but the substitution failed. He then attempted to solve the same integral using Maple, but the results were not what he expected.
Mait

Homework Statement

I am given an integral for which I need to substitute variables to remove a singularity so that the integral can be computed in Matlab using the Composite Trapezoidal Method, and then compared to the integral computed in Maple to 16 digit precision. I am stuck on the variable substitution. The integral is:

[itex] \int_0^1 \frac{e^{-x}}{x^{3/4}}\,dx [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted the following substitution:
[itex] du= \frac {dx}{x^{3/4}} [/itex] so that [itex] u=4x^{1/4} [/itex] which resulted in the integral:
[itex] \int_0^4 e^{ -{\frac{u^4}{256}}}\,du [/itex]

Which doesn't seem to work at all. I suspect the error is in the substitution of variables. Any help/input would be fantastic.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mait said:

Homework Statement

I am given an integral for which I need to substitute variables to remove a singularity so that the integral can be computed in Matlab using the Composite Trapezoidal Method, and then compared to the integral computed in Maple to 16 digit precision. I am stuck on the variable substitution. The integral is:

[itex] \int_0^1 \frac{e^{-x}}{x^{3/4}}\,dx [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted the following substitution:
[itex] du= \frac {dx}{x^{3/4}} [/itex] so that [itex] u=4x^{1/4} [/itex] which resulted in the integral:
[itex] \int_0^1 e^ {\frac{u^4}{64}}\,du [/itex]

Which doesn't seem to work at all. I suspect the error is in the substitution of variables. Any help/input would be fantastic.

i) what happened to the minus sign in the exponential? ii) x isn't u^4/64. Check that '64'. And iii) when you go to the u integration, you'd better change the x limits to u limits.

Hey, the missing minus and 64 were typos. I changed x to equal u^4/256 and included the minus sign, and then changed the limits of integration from 0 to 1 to 0 to 4, but still no luck.

Mait said:
Hey, the missing minus and 64 were typos. I changed x to equal u^4/256 and included the minus sign, and then changed the limits of integration from 0 to 1 to 0 to 4, but still no luck.

Then it should be ok. How do you mean, 'no luck'?

The assignment said that removing the singularity would make it doable in Maple but all Maple is returning for me is a series of WhittakerM functions, which I am not familiar with. Perhaps the assignment made it seem to simple and more legwork is required.

Dick, the remaining issue was in my coding in Maple. Thank you very much for your help, it was great.

Related to Substitution of variables to remove singularities.

1. What is substitution of variables to remove singularities?

Substitution of variables is a mathematical technique used to simplify equations by replacing variables with new ones. This is often done to remove singularities, or points where the function is undefined or discontinuous.

2. Why is it important to remove singularities?

Singularities can cause problems in mathematical calculations and can make it difficult to find solutions to equations. By removing singularities, we can make the equation easier to analyze and solve.

3. How do you perform substitution of variables to remove singularities?

To remove singularities using substitution of variables, we first identify the problematic point. Then, we choose a new variable that will result in a simpler and well-defined expression. Finally, we substitute this new variable into the original equation and simplify.

4. What are some common types of singularities that can be removed using substitution of variables?

Some common types of singularities that can be removed using substitution of variables include infinite limits, removable discontinuities, and singularities at points where the function is undefined.

5. Are there any limitations to using substitution of variables to remove singularities?

While substitution of variables can be a useful technique for removing singularities, it may not always be possible to find a suitable substitution. Additionally, it may not always result in a simpler equation, and in some cases, it may even make the equation more complicated.