Substitution and integration by parts

In summary, the conversation is about finding the indefinite integral of x^3 e^{x^2}. Suggestions are given to try substitution or integration by parts, with a hint to try doing one and then the other. It is suggested to use a u substitution and the final result should be \frac{1}{2}u e^u + C.
cscott

Homework Statement

Can anybody help me integrate [tex]x^3 e^{x^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't see how to do it by substitution or integration by parts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a hint. Did you try doing one and THEN the other?

cscott said:

Homework Statement

Can anybody help me integrate [tex]x^3 e^{x^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't see how to do it by substitution or integration by parts.

Integration by parts should work. Set u equal to the term which will diminish eventually as you keep taking the derivative of and dv equal to the other term.

It's hard to integrate e^(x^2). It's easy to integrate e^x. Does this suggest a substitution you might consider?

Actually exp(x^2) is a sort of standard integral. It's called a Gaussian integral. You can find it in about any physics book, vector calculus book or at the front of any integral table, sometimes with proof. The idea is basically to calculate
[tex]\left( \int e^{x^2} \, dx \right)^2 = \left( \int e^{x^2} \, dx \right) \left( \int e^{y^2} \, dy \right) = \left( \int e^{x^2 + y^2} \, dx \, dy \right)[/tex]
and evaluate it using polar coordinates.

That only works if you're doing a definite integral over an infinite range. The question asks for the indefinite integral.

Not to mention that you need a "-" sign in the exponent, else it won't converge...

Avodyne's suggestion is the best in my opinion.

I think I see where I messed up in my substitution, which made me think it'd be useless

So with a u substitution I should get [tex]\frac{1}{2}u \cdot e^{u}[/tex] ?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Last edited:
cscott said:
I think I see where I messed up in my substitution, which me me think it'd be useless

So with a u substitution I should get [tex]\frac{1}{2}u \cdot e^{u}[/tex] ?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Yes, that does work. (I was still editing my reply while you posted this.) You should get

(1/2)[ (x^2) - 1 ] · exp(x^2) + C .

It's one of those oddball integrals that looks like one of the exponents went the wrong way, but when you check your result, differentiating the exp(x^2) provides the factor that gets you the (x^3) ...

Last edited:
Actually, you should get
[tex]\frac{1}{2}u e^u du[/tex]

Related to Substitution and integration by parts

1. What is substitution in calculus?

Substitution is a method used in calculus to simplify complex expressions by replacing a variable with a new variable or expression. This allows for easier integration or differentiation.

2. How do you determine which substitution to use?

The choice of substitution depends on the form of the original expression. It is important to select a substitution that will eliminate or simplify the most complex part of the expression.

3. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used to find the integral of a product of two functions. It involves splitting the product into two parts and applying the integration formula to one part while differentiating the other.

4. When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integral involves a product of functions, and the power rule, substitution, or other methods are not applicable.

5. Can substitution and integration by parts be used together?

Yes, substitution and integration by parts can be used together in more complex integrals. Substitution can be used to simplify the integrand, and then integration by parts can be applied to find the integral.