Subspace Proof (using addition and multiplication)

In summary, the conversation discusses determining whether or not W is a subset of R4, where W is the set of all vectors in R4 such that x1x2=x3x4. Two methods, u+v (addition) and cu (multiplication), are used to try and prove this. The conversation also discusses the importance of choosing the most general vectors to prove a conjecture and how the choice of vectors can affect the outcome of the proof. It is concluded that in this case, choosing vectors of the form (u,u,u,u) was too general and led to an incorrect conclusion.
erok81

Homework Statement

Determine whether or not W is a subset of R4

W is the set of all vectors in R4 such that x1x2=x3x4

Homework Equations

Two methods.

u+v (addition)
cu (multiplication)

The Attempt at a Solution

I having trouble getting the hang of subspaces. I thought I was getting close to grasping it, until this problem.

u=(1,1,1,1) and v=(2,2,2,2) (is there a method to choosing these? I just chose points where the original statement still holds)

u+v=(3,3,3,3) which holds under addition.
cu=c(1,1,1,1) where c=2 (again, any method to this, or just choose something other than 0 or 1?)
=(2,2,2,2) which holds under multiplication.

Therefore it is a subspace. But...

The answer in the back states it is not a subspace, so I messed up somewhere. I think it has to do with choosing my u and v vectors.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah...it my choosing of u and v.

If I choose u=(-1,2,2,-1) and v=(1,4,1,4) they hold in the original statement, but not under additional.

Which brings me to my other questions - how do you choose those values? Clearly that is where my mistake lies.

Choose the most general vectors u = (u1,u2,u3,u4) and v = (v1,v2,v3,v4), with u1u2=u3u4 and v1v2=v3v4. The vectors you chose are too special (they satisfy a much stronger condition).

In my book they chose (1,1,1,1) for a few of their vectors...which values would you choose? The only thing I am worried about it this doesn't seem like a very good way to prove something as depending on your choice, it could prove/disprove the subspace.

Or is there a better way to do these without choosing arbitrary vector values?

If you're trying to prove a conjecture that a large set of objects has some property, you generally need to choose the most general representative of that set for your proof. If you are simply trying to disprove such a conjecture, a single counterexample might suffice.

Since this question was a "whether or not" issue, you were right to first look for some counterexamples, since that can be more efficient than trying to develop a line of argument that might prove the statement. Where you went wrong was to first choose vectors of the form (u,u,u,u), which satisfy u1=u2=u3=u4 instead of just u1u2=u3u4. Your second set of vectors was a better choice because they only satisfied the original condition.

Ok, I get it. My vector choice was too general and satisfied more than one statement. Which makes sense because I've done about 20 of these so far and the others worked fine...because I chose vectors more like my second choices. This was the first one I chose a (u,u,u,u) type vector.

Is there a more accurate method than the way I am doing or just be careful when choosing the vectors?

Thanks for the help as well.

Related to Subspace Proof (using addition and multiplication)

What is subspace proof?

Subspace proof is a mathematical technique used to prove that a set is a subspace of a larger vector space. It involves showing that the set satisfies the three criteria for being a subspace: closed under addition, closed under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

What is the significance of subspace proof?

Subspace proof is important because it allows us to determine whether a set is a subspace without having to check each individual element. This saves time and effort, and also helps us understand the properties and structure of vector spaces.

How do you use addition in subspace proof?

In subspace proof, addition is used to show that the set is closed under addition. This means that when you add any two vectors from the set, the resulting vector must also be in the set. To prove this, you must show that the sum of any two vectors from the set satisfies all the properties of the vector space.

How is multiplication used in subspace proof?

Multiplication is used in subspace proof to show that the set is closed under scalar multiplication. This means that when you multiply any vector from the set by a scalar, the resulting vector must also be in the set. To prove this, you must show that the product of any vector from the set and any scalar satisfies all the properties of the vector space.

What is the process for conducting subspace proof?

The process for conducting subspace proof involves three main steps: showing closure under addition, showing closure under scalar multiplication, and showing that the zero vector is in the set. This can be done by using the properties of vector spaces and performing basic algebraic manipulations. If all three criteria are satisfied, then the set is proven to be a subspace.