Subspace of Polynomials: \vec{}p(t)=a+t^2, where a is real

• Thread starter renob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
In summary, the conversation discusses whether all polynomials of the form \vec{}p(t)=a+t^2, where a is in real, are a subspace of \Re_{}n. The conclusion is that they are not, as the zero vector is not in the set. This is because the zero vector in this case would be 0 or 0 + 0t + 0t2, which does not fit the form a+t^2. Additionally, the polynomials in question are not vectors in \mathbb{R}^n, but lie in \mathcal{F} = {the set of all polynomials \vec{p} : \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \math
renob

Homework Statement

Determine if all polynomials of the form [tex]\vec{}p[/tex](t)=a+t^2, where a is in real, are a subspace of [tex]\Re[/tex][tex]_{}n[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

the correct answer says that p(t) is not a subspace since the zero vector is not in the set.

im trying to work this out and got P(0)=a+0=a
is this correct? if so, why couldn't I just assume that a=0 and call that the zero vector? I'm a bit confused here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember, the polynomials themselves are the vectors: you shouldn't have to evaluate them at points. The zero vector in this case would be 0 or 0 + 0t + 0t2. So yes, you can set a=0, but what is the coefficient of t2?

Oh so since the coefficient of t2 is 1, t2 will never be multiplied by the scalar 0, and thus the entire vector never equals 0?
What confuses me is that why can't we assume both a=0 and t=0? or alternatively, why can't we multiply both sides of P(t)=a + t2 by the zero vector?

Last edited:
renob said:

Homework Statement

Determine if all polynomials of the form [tex]\vec{}p[/tex](t)=a+t^2, where a is in real, are a subspace of [tex]\Re[/tex][tex]_{}n[/tex].

Are you sure the problem is asking for a subspace of [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex]? Because the polynomials in question are not vectors in [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex], but lie in [tex]\mathcal{F}[/tex] = {the set of all polynomials [tex]\vec{p} : \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex]}.

renob said:
im trying to work this out and got P(0)=a+0=a
is this correct? if so, why couldn't I just assume that a=0 and call that the zero vector? I'm a bit confused here.

It may help to remind yourself of the definition of the zero vector.

I know it's an old thread but can someone clear this up? How is the zero vector not in the set? If t=0 and a=0, you get the zero vector. I can see that polynomials of the form a+b^2 is not closed under scalar multiplication or vector addition but I don't see the zero vector argument.

Related to Subspace of Polynomials: \vec{}p(t)=a+t^2, where a is real

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the properties of a vector space, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How is a subspace different from a vector space?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space, meaning it contains elements from the original vector space. A vector space, on the other hand, is a set of vectors that satisfy certain properties and can be used for various mathematical operations.

3. What are the criteria for a set to be considered a subspace?

A set must satisfy three criteria to be considered a subspace: it must contain the zero vector, be closed under addition, and be closed under scalar multiplication.

4. Can a subspace have dimensions?

Yes, a subspace can have dimensions just like a vector space. The dimension of a subspace is the number of linearly independent vectors in the subspace.

5. How are subspaces used in real-world applications?

Subspaces are used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science, to represent and analyze data or systems. They also have applications in linear algebra, optimization, and machine learning.