Subgroups/Internal Direct Product

In summary: But I think your statement is already clear enough. In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that a subgroup A is normal in a group G. The conversation includes discussions on the properties of determinants and how they relate to subgroups, as well as the internal direct product of subgroups. Ultimately, it is concluded that A is normal in G and G is the internal direct product of A and B. There is also a brief discussion on how to explicitly represent a matrix in LaTeX.
Ted123

Homework Statement

2ikz5lz.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]<[/itex] denotes a subgroup and [itex] \triangleleft[/itex] denotes a normal subgroup throughout.

Can anyone tell me what I've done right/wrong? I've posted all my working below:

To prove that [itex]A<G[/itex], I can say that:

A [itex](2n+1) \times (2n+1)[/itex] matrix is invertible if and only if it has non-zero determinant so [itex]A \subset G[/itex].

Furthermore, [itex]A[/itex] is non-empty since [itex]I_{2n+1} \in A[/itex] since [itex]\text{det}(I_{2n+1})=1[/itex].

To prove that [itex]CD^{-1} \in A[/itex] for all [itex]C,D \in A[/itex] is this correct?:

Let [itex]C,D \in A[/itex]. Then [itex]\text{det}(C)=\text{det}(D)=1[/itex]. Now by the properties of determinants,

[itex]\displaystyle \text{det}(CD^{-1}) = \text{det}(C)\text{det}(D^{-1}) = \frac{\text{det}(C)}{\text{det}(D)} = \frac{1}{1} = 1[/itex] .

So [itex]CD^{-1} \in A[/itex] and [itex]A<G[/itex].

Now suppose [itex]P \in G[/itex] and [itex]Q \in A[/itex]

Then [itex]\text{det}(PQP^{-1}) = \text{det}(P)\text{det}(Q)\text{det}(P^{-1}) = \text{det}(P)\text{det}(Q)\text{det}(P)^{-1} = \text{det}(Q) = 1[/itex] .

Therefore [itex]A \triangleleft G[/itex] .

Now [itex]B \neq \emptyset[/itex] since [itex]I\in B[/itex] (set u=1) .

If [itex]U = \begin{bmatrix}u & 0 & \ldots & 0 \\ 0 & u & \ldots & 0 \\ \vdots & \vdots & \ddots & \vdots\\0 & 0 &\ldots & u\end{bmatrix} \in B[/itex] and if [itex]V = \begin{bmatrix}v & 0 & \ldots & 0 \\ 0 & v & \ldots & 0 \\ \vdots & \vdots & \ddots & \vdots\\0 & 0 &\ldots & v\end{bmatrix} \in B[/itex]

Then [itex]UV^{-1} = \begin{bmatrix}uv^{-1} & 0 & \ldots & 0 \\ 0 & uv^{-1} & \ldots & 0 \\ \vdots & \vdots & \ddots & \vdots\\0 & 0 &\ldots & uv^{-1}\end{bmatrix} \in B[/itex]

so that [itex]B < G[/itex] .

If [itex]P\in G[/itex] is a [itex](2n+1) \times (2n+1)[/itex] matrix of the same size of U with arbitrary entries then [itex]UP=PU[/itex] and it follows that [itex]PUP^{-1} = U[/itex] . Hence [itex]B \triangleleft G[/itex] .

Now since [itex]\text{det}(U) = u^{2n+1}[/itex] and [itex]u\neq 0[/itex] it follows that if [itex]U \in A[/itex] then [itex]u=1[/itex] .

Therefore [itex]A \cap B = \{1\}[/itex] .

Let [itex]\text{det}(P) = r \neq 0[/itex] .

Then [itex]P =[/itex] [The matrix P with every element divided by [itex]\sqrt{r}[/itex] ] [itex]\begin{bmatrix}\sqrt{r} & 0 & \ldots & 0 \\ 0 & \sqrt{r} & \ldots & 0 \\ \vdots & \vdots & \ddots & \vdots\\0 & 0 &\ldots & \sqrt{r} \end{bmatrix} = QU[/itex] (say)

We have [itex]Q \in A[/itex] for [itex]\displaystyle \text{det}(Q)= \frac{\text{det}(P)}{r} = 1[/itex] and [itex]U \in B[/itex].

Therefore [itex]G=AB[/itex] and G is the internal direct product of A and B.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ted123 said:
We have [itex]Q \in A[/itex] for [itex]\displaystyle \text{det}(Q)= \frac{\text{det}(P)}{r} = 1[/itex] and [itex]U \in B[/itex].

This is not true. It would rather be

[tex]\text{det}(Q)=\frac{\text{det}(P)}{(\sqrt{r})^{2n+1}}[/tex].

So you'll need something else then [tex]\sqrt{r}[/tex], but you're on the right track.

Also, nobody says that [tex]r\geq 0[/tex], thus it might be that [tex]\sqrt{r}[/tex] is not real. In that case, U is not an element of [tex]GL_{2n+1}(\mathbb{R})[/tex]...

micromass said:
This is not true. It would rather be

[tex]\text{det}(Q)=\frac{\text{det}(P)}{(\sqrt{r})^{2n+1}}[/tex].

So you'll need something else then [tex]\sqrt{r}[/tex], but you're on the right track.

Also, nobody says that [tex]r\geq 0[/tex], thus it might be that [tex]\sqrt{r}[/tex] is not real. In that case, U is not an element of [tex]GL_{2n+1}(\mathbb{R})[/tex]...

What could I use that's not [itex]\sqrt{r}[/itex]?

Instead of dividing through [tex]\sqrt{r}[/tex], you could divide through something else. So that det(Q)=1. Try another kind of root...

micromass said:
Instead of dividing through [tex]\sqrt{r}[/tex], you could divide through something else. So that det(Q)=1. Try another kind of root...

Could I use [itex]\sqrt[2n+1]{r}[/itex] .

Then [itex]\text{det}(Q) = \frac{\text{det}(P)}{(\sqrt[2n+1]{r})^{2n+1}} = \frac{r}{r} = 1[/itex] .

But then r could still be negative?

Yes, that is correct. And r being negative doesn't hurt here. 2n+1 is an odd number, so the 2n+1-th root is real, even if r is negative...

micromass said:
Yes, that is correct. And r being negative doesn't hurt here. 2n+1 is an odd number, so the 2n+1-th root is real, even if r is negative...

Ah yes. So does everything look OK now?

Is there a more explicit way of putting this bit:

If [itex]P\in G[/itex] is a [itex](2n+1) \times (2n+1)[/itex] matrix of the same size of U with arbitrary entries then [itex]UP=PU[/itex] and it follows that [itex]PUP^{-1} = U[/itex] .

i.e. how can I explicitly represent the matrix P in latex and show UP=PU?

Yes, this looks good!

I think your statement about the P and U is clear enough. If you really want to represent P as a matrix, then maybe you can present it as an arbitrary matrix with arbitrary entries, i.e.

[tex]P=\left(\begin{array}{cccc}
p_{1,1} & p_{1,2} & \hdots & p_{1,2n+1}\\
p_{2,1} & p_{2,2} & \hdots & p_{2,2n+1}\\
\vdots & \vdots & \ddots & \vdots\\
p_{2n+1,1} & p_{2n+1,2} & \hdots & p_{2n+1,2n+1}
\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Related to Subgroups/Internal Direct Product

1. What is a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that also forms a group under the same operation. It must contain the identity element and be closed under the operation and inverse.

2. How do you determine if a subset is a subgroup?

To determine if a subset is a subgroup, you must check if it contains the identity element, is closed under the operation, and contains the inverse of each element.

3. What is an internal direct product?

An internal direct product is a way of combining two or more subgroups to form a larger group. It is denoted as the direct product of the subgroups and is a special type of subgroup.

4. How do you find the internal direct product of two subgroups?

To find the internal direct product of two subgroups, you must check if the subgroups intersect only at the identity element and if the product of any two elements in the subgroups is commutative.

5. What is the significance of subgroups and internal direct products in group theory?

Subgroups and internal direct products are important concepts in group theory because they allow for the study of smaller, simpler groups within a larger group. They also help to identify the structural properties of a group and its subgroups.