Sturm Liouville ODE Bessel Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses how to obtain a solution in terms of Bessel functions J0 by setting u=x^a and selecting a judiciously. The resulting differential equation is then transformed using various differentiation rules for Bessel functions. The use of the substitution u=x^(1/2) is suggested as a method to obtain the solution, and using this substitution, the Bessel form of the differential equation is achieved.
jborcher

Homework Statement

x d2y(x)/dx2 + dy(x)/dx + 1/4 y(x)

Show that the solution can be obtained in terms of Bessel functions J0.

Homework Equations

Hint: set u = xa where a is not necessarily an integer. Judiciously select a to get y(u).

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried just straight pluggin in x=u1/a and ended up with the following form for the diff eq:

u2 d2y(u)/du2 + (1-a)/a u1-a-1 dy(u)/du + (1-a)/4a2 y(u) = 0

I've hit a wall here, this doesn't match the Bessel Equation (though I am pretty sure it is not supposed to). I am unsure how to select a in order to get a solution with J0.

I tried another approach where I followed the various differentiation rules for Bessel functions and obtained the following:

-x J0(x) + 1/4 J0(x) = 0

Again I have hit a wall and am not sure how I should proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
jborcher said:

Homework Statement

x d2y(x)/dx2 + dy(x)/dx + 1/4 y(x)

Show that the solution can be obtained in terms of Bessel functions J0.

Homework Equations

Hint: set u = xa where a is not necessarily an integer. Judiciously select a to get y(u).

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried just straight pluggin in x=u1/a and ended up with the following form for the diff eq:

u2 d2y(u)/du2 + (1-a)/a u1-a-1 dy(u)/du + (1-a)/4a2 y(u) = 0

I've hit a wall here, this doesn't match the Bessel Equation (though I am pretty sure it is not supposed to). I am unsure how to select a in order to get a solution with J0.

I tried another approach where I followed the various differentiation rules for Bessel functions and obtained the following:

-x J0(x) + 1/4 J0(x) = 0

Again I have hit a wall and am not sure how I should proceed.

Best way to learn this in my opinion is to just get the answer first and then work towards it so that you have practice for the next one. So the Bessel DE is:

[tex]v^2 \frac{d^2y}{dv^2}+v \frac{dy}{dv}+(v^2+a^2)y=0[/tex]

and Mathematica gives the solution in terms of [itex]J(0,\sqrt{x})[/itex]. So then let's just let [itex]u=x^{1/2}[/itex]. No that's not cheating. Do you want to just eat fish or learn how to fish? Ok, can we just get the solution with that substitution and then if you want to, solve it using [itex]u=x^{n/m}[/itex] to see why 1/2 works for more practice.

You can do all those chained-derivatives right?

[tex]\frac{dy}{du}=2u\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{du^2}=\frac{1}{u}\frac{dy}{du}+4u^2 \frac{d^2 y}{dx^2}[/tex]

and you can finish it to arrive at the Bessel form of the DE.

Related to Sturm Liouville ODE Bessel Functions

1. What is the Sturm-Liouville ODE?

The Sturm-Liouville ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) is a type of second-order linear differential equation that is commonly used in mathematical physics. It is named after the mathematicians Jacques Charles François Sturm and Joseph Liouville.

2. What are Bessel functions?

Bessel functions are a class of special functions that are used to solve certain types of differential equations, including the Sturm-Liouville ODE. They were first introduced by the mathematician Daniel Bernoulli and later studied extensively by the mathematician Friedrich Bessel.

3. How are Bessel functions related to the Sturm-Liouville ODE?

The Sturm-Liouville ODE can be solved using Bessel functions as the general solution. This is because the Bessel functions satisfy the differential equation, making them a suitable solution for the Sturm-Liouville ODE.

4. What is the importance of the Sturm-Liouville ODE and Bessel functions?

The Sturm-Liouville ODE and Bessel functions have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to solve problems involving heat transfer, vibration analysis, and electrostatics, among others. They also have a wide range of applications in quantum mechanics and signal processing.

5. What are some examples of problems that can be solved using the Sturm-Liouville ODE and Bessel functions?

Some examples include the vibrating membrane problem, the heat conduction problem, and the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics. Bessel functions are also used to model the behavior of circular membranes, cylindrical pipes, and spherical waves.