Stupid Science Tricks: Improvising Toilet Shutoff Valve Repair

In summary, the conversation discusses various instances of improvising and finding unconventional solutions to plumbing issues. The speaker shares their experience of using a paper evaporator to fix a leaky valve and mentions the use of "ground seat onion" unions in their work. The conversation also touches upon the importance of proper fittings and the discovery of an AB Seaman's card in the speaker's home.
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Sometimes I just don't feel like doing it the right way and I 'improvise'. I can't be the only one who's done it so feel free to share your stories. Who knows - some of them might be useful to others.

A few weeks ago, I had to replace the shutoff valve for a toilet. Of course, this required shutting of the water for the whole house. Afterward, I noticed that it had a leak and tightened it up a bit more. However, it still leaks about one drop every 5 minutes or so. I didn't feel like shutting off the water again so I put together an evaporator. The paper dries as fast as it gets wet so it works perfect for me. I figure that the minerals in the water will eventually clog the leak. :oldeyes:

Catchandrelease.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In my work I found Ground Seat Unions in reactor plant auxiliary systems, brass unions with a hemispherical male part mating with a conical tail piece. The hemispherical part was expected to have been ground - lapped - to its mate. Never happened, so they were called 'ground seat onions' and came with an O-ring and back up ring to make them tight.

If a compression fitting (as illustrated) isn't leak free at <100 psi, then something is not right.

My home was built by a gentleman whose AB Seaman's card was issued when he was 16 y.o. when he sailed the Great Lakes. I found it when I was moving in. I also found three ground seat onion unions, all sealed by the mineral deposits.

Related to Stupid Science Tricks: Improvising Toilet Shutoff Valve Repair

1. Can I use any household items to fix a toilet shutoff valve?

Yes, there are several household items that can be used to temporarily fix a toilet shutoff valve. These include duct tape, rubber bands, and even a plastic bag and a hair tie.

2. How long will a temporary fix last?

This depends on the severity of the problem and the materials used for the temporary fix. In general, a temporary fix can last for a few days to a few weeks.

3. Is it safe to use a temporary fix for a toilet shutoff valve?

It is not recommended to use a temporary fix for an extended period of time as it may lead to further damage or leaks. It is best to replace the valve as soon as possible.

4. Can I use a permanent fix on my own or do I need a professional plumber?

In most cases, a toilet shutoff valve can be replaced using simple tools and instructions, making it a DIY project. However, if you are not comfortable or do not have the necessary tools, it is best to hire a professional plumber.

5. What should I do if a temporary fix does not work?

If a temporary fix does not work, it is recommended to replace the valve as soon as possible. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, contact a professional plumber for assistance.