Studying Physics at Age 14: Where to Start?

In summary: It will definitely help in understanding physics concepts. :smile: Hello. I want to study Physics. I'm 14(15 next month). I know Newton's Laws of Motion. I want to know in what order should I study Physics. I know 9th grade Algebra.If you're just starting out, I would recommend working your way through basic math concepts first. This will help you better understand physics concepts and allow you to move on to more complex topics more easily.
Demoniac
Hello. I want to study Physics. I'm 14(15 next month). I know Newton's Laws of Motion. I want to know in what order should I study Physics. I know 9th grade Algebra. No books please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you plan on sorting through the relevant wikipedia pages yourself (or have someone help you do that), get a textbook. Giancoli's physics text is probably appropriate for your level.

Demoniac said:
No books please.

Almost all texts are pretty much in the same order anyways. :smile: So if I were you, I'd start where I was interested... and I personally think that creating your own project designed around your interest is a great place to start.

This could take the form of a building project (like making your own robot.. say one that moves around on it's own, doing some simple task like a "Roomba"... or one that is stationary but perhaps throws a ball for your dog once you train your dog to place the ball in the right spot). b The fun with robots is that there's mechanical, electrical and programming aspects.

A project could also take the form of some programming task (there's tons of real data out there just waiting for someone to do something cool with it... I had a friend who took spelunking data from a geology site and wrote a program to create a 3-D model of cave systems from this data). Or if you're musical, maybe figure out how to digitally record your instrument and signal process the recording.

Demoniac said:
Hello. I want to study Physics. I'm 14(15 next month). I know Newton's Laws of Motion. I want to know in what order should I study Physics. I know 9th grade Algebra.
For what it's worth, I would recommend working ahead in math first.
No books please.
If this is because of price, I understand completely. If you just don't like books, I recommend learning to read. Look at the following site (this is for physics, regardless of whether you have the math background):

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-01LFall-2005/LectureNotes/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
colonelcrayon said:
If this is because of price, I understand completely.

Note however that used textbooks are a lot cheaper than new ones, especially for old editions that are no longer currently sold and used in classes. The actual physics doesn't change from one edition to another. Publishers come out with new editions every few years because they want to keep on making money.

jtbell said:
Note however that used textbooks are a lot cheaper than new ones, especially for old editions that are no longer currently sold and used in classes. The actual physics doesn't change from one edition to another. Publishers come out with new editions every few years because they want to keep on making money.
libraries also stock old textbooks you can check out...

Why no books?

Check out what your school offers. Are there science or math societies? Do they do additional courses? Do they provide books and resources in the library?

And don't forget to just talk to some of the teachers. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to give some good advice on where you should be looking to go and at what level. It's what they're there for and all.

It's probably best to follow the general curricula at your school - introductory physics modules all build on the basic ideas and principles that everything else will work on and around.

No books is not because of the price and I love books. It's just that I don't want to have to keep turning pages >.>.

My school offers Living Environment which I finished. This year I'm taking Earth Science. If I do horrible in Mathematics this year I'll get Planetary Science,if I do O.K in Mathematics I'll get Chemistry and if I do excellent in Mathematics I'll get Physics.

My local library is currently closed for renovations.

Do any of you know any websitse I can go to so I can learn Physics because I came to this website looking for Physics Lessons. Turns out it's actually Physics help and discussions.

Demoniac said:
My school offers Living Environment which I finished. This year I'm taking Earth Science. If I do horrible in Mathematics this year I'll get Planetary Science,if I do O.K in Mathematics I'll get Chemistry and if I do excellent in Mathematics I'll get Physics.

Do you know what type of math you will be doing? I think I was doing Geometry in 9th grade, but it could have also been Algebra I or II.

Regardless, I would definitely focus on getting the most out of your math class. A decent foundation in math will make your life much happier now and later on.

EDIT:

MIT has a high school link in the OCW. I have no idea if it has actual content or just general guidlines and such.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/hs/home/home/index.htm

Demoniac said:
No books is not because of the price and I love books. It's just that I don't want to have to keep turning pages >.>.

Turning pages will not be a problem when you get to higher material texts.On some pages it may take you over 10-15 minutes before turning the next page. Reading a math/physics book is different than reading a novel; you have to think much more and is much slower.

Example: Most kids can read a Harry Potter book in a week. In a mathematical text, using even twice as much work, you may be done with a chapter.

I will be doing Geometery since I took Algerba I and the Algebra Regents.

I would focus on your math class and work through some of the OpenCourseWare notes on the link I posted.

Demoniac said:
I will be doing Geometery since I took Algerba I and the Algebra Regents.

HS Geometry is not a very useful subject(in fact, is is almost useless).
Refresh on your Algebra and study Calculus on your own.

Pinu7 said:
HS Geometry is not a very useful subject(in fact, is is almost useless).
Refresh on your Algebra and study Calculus on your own.

This is certainly not true.A good understanding of basic euclidean geometry is as essential as basic algebra. Both subject might appear to be useless when you have studied calculus and other more advanced mathematics, but this is because by this time you do them almost without thinking.

Thanks for all the help. Anyone know a good website to hone my Algebra?

bp_psy said:
This is certainly not true.A good understanding of basic euclidean geometry is as essential as basic algebra. Both subject might appear to be useless when you have studied calculus and other more advanced mathematics, but this is because by this time you do them almost without thinking.

Somewhat true. However, it is only a few basic facts(e.g. on a circle, the radius line is perpendicular to the tangent line) that you get from experience. However, a formal geometry course is superfluous.

Knowledge of Geometry= Useful.
Geometry Course=Can be skipped.

EDIT: http://hk.geocities.com/mathphyweb/puremath.htm#1e

Pinu7 (from post #25),
I mostly agree with you. I would say the same thing, or very close to it. In fact, Geometry, the college preparatory high school course, is good for a student's general mathematical development. It leads to many important and applicable facts and relations, and is a study of the reasons for their truth. Be aware, Euclidean College Preparatory Geometry is one of the "Foundation Level" courses.
As impractical a course as it may be, at least try to understand how it contributes to other more directly applicable Mathematics and how it may help students in their own knowledge and skill.

Thanks. I'll look at a couple of those websites tomorrow. This forum rocks :d.

Bump...?

Bumpity Bump Bump.

I want to thank whoever posted http://www.khanacademy.org/. It is a great site for learning many things. I learned the lesson on motion and level 1,2 and 3 linear equations.

Bump and thanks for all the advice and help.

Related to Studying Physics at Age 14: Where to Start?

1. What is the best way to start studying physics at age 14?

The best way to start studying physics at age 14 is to first develop a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly algebra and geometry. These skills are essential for understanding the concepts and equations used in physics. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with the basic principles of physics and the scientific method.

2. Is it necessary to take a formal physics course at this age?

No, it is not necessary to take a formal physics course at age 14. However, if you have the opportunity to take a physics course, it can be beneficial in providing a structured learning environment and access to resources such as textbooks and laboratory equipment.

3. What are some good resources for studying physics at this age?

There are many resources available for studying physics at age 14. Some good options include online tutorials and videos, textbooks, and interactive simulations. Your local library or school may also have resources available for borrowing. It can also be helpful to join a study group or seek guidance from a teacher or mentor.

4. How can I apply what I learn in physics to real-life situations?

Physics is a fundamental science that explains the natural world around us. By studying physics, you will gain a better understanding of how things work and be able to apply this knowledge to real-life situations. For example, knowledge of physics can help you understand the principles behind everyday technologies such as smartphones and cars.

5. What are some potential career paths in physics for someone starting at age 14?

There are many potential career paths in physics for someone starting at age 14. Some common options include becoming a physicist, engineer, or science educator. Other fields that require a strong foundation in physics include astronomy, geology, and computer science. It is important to continue exploring your interests and strengths in physics to determine the best career path for you.