Studying GR from a mathematical point of view

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of studying general relativity (GR) from a mathematical point of view without a strong background in physics. It is suggested that while there are textbooks geared towards mathematicians, it may be more beneficial to learn physics in order to fully understand GR. Some recommended textbooks and online lectures are mentioned, along with the suggestion of having knowledge of classical mechanics and E&M before delving into GR.
JG89
I want to study GR from a mathematical point of view but I know almost no physics. Is this possible? And what textbook would be more geared towards this?

Also, what are the math prerequisites that I need? I have studied up to analysis on manifolds, some linear algebra and multi-linear algebra, topology, and a tiny bit of ODE's. I don't think that this is enough, so what else should I pick up before I start studying GR?

Physics news on Phys.org
GR can be studied at a variety of mathematical levels. There are presentations of GR using only simple algebra, and others using much more sophisticated math.

What does "almost no physics" mean? Does it mean that you don't know Newton's laws? That you haven't taken a freshman survey course?

I doubt that it's possible to understand GR mathematically if it's completely divorced from its physical context. It would be like learning arithmetic without knowing about money or counting apples.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/038790218X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0125267401/?tag=pfamazon01-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0199230722/?tag=pfamazon01-20

All three are textbooks on GR for mathematicians. That being said, I personally think it's a pointless venture. You should just learn physics. You would easily be able to understand the mathematical foundations of GR but you won't really acquire much if any of a deep understanding of GR if you don't know physics so I don't see the point. Regardless, in the end it's your call and the above three textbooks are well-regarded.

bcrowell said:
GR can be studied at a variety of mathematical levels. There are presentations of GR using only simple algebra, and others using much more sophisticated math.

What does "almost no physics" mean? Does it mean that you don't know Newton's laws? That you haven't taken a freshman survey course?

I doubt that it's possible to understand GR mathematically if it's completely divorced from its physical context. It would be like learning arithmetic without knowing about money or counting apples.
I have just taken a first year course in physics. But it wasn't a course that the physics majors were taking. It was an easier course, a level below. I guess I should just learn the physics then. I want to learn it, if possible, in such a way that it is a direct path to GR. I don't want to learn other things that aren't required to learn GR. Like if a first year math major wanted to learn about manifolds, a course in number theory doesn't matter. Something like that.

Also, should I learn more about ODE's and PDE's as well?

I have not had a course in GR, but if you want to learn it you should learn some classical mechanics first. I think you should be able to do this if you have had a university physics course, but it will be hard. ^^

This is a good book:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201657023/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Online lectures:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUHTGp7T4Zn_FU64InC0C8ZsejaxMtO3s

The lectures on special relativity contains some of Einsteins notation which is also used in GR.

EDIT: Don't know about those GR for mathematicians books mentioned by WannabeNewton though, they may be an easier route...

Last edited by a moderator:
You probably have more than enough math. For the Physics end, I think a sort of signifier of "enough knowledge" would be knowing what solutions to the wave equation look like. One would typically learn that in the second semester of an E&M course. Some Lagrangian mechanics is very helpful, though not absolutely necessary, but you need enough mechanics to understand the stress-energy tensor.

So I'd say, Mechanics on the level of Fowles or Symon and E&M on the level of Schwartz.

E&M and general relativity are the two classical field theories in physics. E&M is a lot easier. If you want to understand GR, it helps if you know your E&M first.

Related to Studying GR from a mathematical point of view

1. What is the mathematical foundation of General Relativity (GR)?

The mathematical foundation of GR is based on the theory of curved spacetime, which is described by the mathematical framework of differential geometry. This theory was developed by mathematician Bernhard Riemann in the 19th century and is essential for understanding the concept of gravity in GR.

2. How is Einstein's field equations used in GR?

Einstein's field equations are a set of 10 nonlinear partial differential equations that describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the matter and energy present in it. These equations are the cornerstone of GR and are used to make predictions about the behavior of objects in the presence of gravity.

3. What are the mathematical tools used to study GR?

The main mathematical tools used to study GR are tensor calculus, differential geometry, and variational methods. Tensor calculus is used to describe the curvature of spacetime, while differential geometry provides the necessary tools to understand the geometric properties of curved space. Variational methods are used to find the equations of motion for particles and fields in curved spacetime.

4. What are the main challenges of studying GR from a mathematical point of view?

One of the main challenges of studying GR from a mathematical point of view is the complexity of the equations involved. Einstein's field equations are highly nonlinear and difficult to solve, making it challenging to make precise predictions about the behavior of objects in the presence of strong gravitational fields. Another challenge is the need for advanced mathematical knowledge, particularly in differential geometry and tensor calculus.

5. How is GR related to other branches of mathematics and physics?

GR has close connections to other branches of mathematics and physics, such as differential equations, topology, and particle physics. The theory of differential equations is used to solve Einstein's field equations, while topology is used to understand the global properties of spacetime. GR also has implications for particle physics, as it is used in the study of black holes and the early universe.