Essential Math Topics for GR: Semi-Riemannian Geometry (Newman)

In summary: If you are studying Newman's book as a preliminary to learning SR followed by GR, then you are probably wasting much of your time. It doesn't necessarily help to get so far ahead in the mathematics department. You should aim to develop your physics and mathematics in parallel. For example, many people would say that classical electromagnetism is a pre-requisite for GR, because it's too big a step to tackle GR without having the experience of classical EM. The authors of graduate texts in GR will assume you...If you are studying Newman's book as a preliminary to learning SR followed by GR, then you are probably wasting much of your time. It doesn't necessarily help to get so far ahead in the
Shirish
I'm reading the book "Semi-Riemannian Geometry: The Mathematical Langauge of General Relativity" by Newman. There are definitely other questions on math background needed for GR, but my aim is to find which topics from that particular book aren't essential so that self study is more efficient.

The ToC for the book is here: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/semi-riemannian-geometry-stephen-c-newman/1133040658

My purpose is to get an idea about the mathematical underpinnings of intermediate-level GR. It would be incredibly helpful to me if people familiar with GR here can give me an idea on which topics I can skip and which ones are critical.

For example, I know that ch 1-6, ch 9, ch 10, ch 14-15, ch 18-19 are essential. And I think that ch 11-13 can be skipped since their purpose seems to be to give a concrete foundation for more abstract intrinsic differential geometry concepts, but I'm comfortable with starting out from abstract concepts. About the rest of the chapters, I'm not sure. Would appreciate your views on this!

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Shirish said:
I'm reading the book "Semi-Riemannian Geometry: The Mathematical Langauge of General Relativity" by Newman. There are definitely other questions on math background needed for GR, but my aim is to find which topics from that particular book aren't essential so that self study is more efficient.

The ToC for the book is here: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/semi-riemannian-geometry-stephen-c-newman/1133040658

My purpose is to get an idea about the mathematical underpinnings of intermediate-level GR. It would be incredibly helpful to me if people familiar with GR here can give me an idea on which topics I can skip and which ones are critical.

For example, I know that ch 1-6, ch 9, ch 10, ch 14-15, ch 18-19 are essential. And I think that ch 11-13 can be skipped since their purpose seems to be to give a concrete foundation for more abstract intrinsic differential geometry concepts, but I'm comfortable with starting out from abstract concepts. About the rest of the chapters, I'm not sure. Would appreciate your views on this!
If your objective is to get a undergraduate level understanding of GR, then you can try Hartle's Gravity: An Introduction to GR. It's only if you want to take things further that you need heavy differential geometry.

Altenatively, there is a series of largely self-contained graduate lectures from MIT:

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-962-general-relativity-spring-2020/video-lectures/index.htm

That said, before you start GR you need to know Special Relativity to the level that you can explain it fully to others. Hartle gives a brief revision of SR and the MIT lectures begin with a geometric treatment of SR.

Likes vanhees71 and Shirish
PeroK said:
If your objective is to get a undergraduate level understanding of GR, then you can try Hartle's Gravity: An Introduction to GR. It's only if you want to take things further that you need heavy differential geometry.

Altenatively, there is a series of largely self-contained graduate lectures from MIT:

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-962-general-relativity-spring-2020/video-lectures/index.htm

That said, before you start GR you need to know Special Relativity to the level that you can explain it fully to others. Hartle gives a brief revision of SR and the MIT lectures begin with a geometric treatment of SR.
Thank you! I'm aiming at a grad level understanding of GR. I completely agree with mastering SR first, but as of now my aim is only to get a good grasp on the math needed for grad-level GR. I won't touch GR and the physics behind it all without mastering SR. I hope that makes sense.

That said, the heavy DG that you mention for the same - that's the tricky bit. Because in the book there are all sorts of topics and I'm uncertain which ones aren't strictly necessary. Any kind of help in which ones are skippable and which ones aren't would be very useful.

Shirish said:
Thank you! I'm aiming at a grad level understanding of GR. I completely agree with mastering SR first, but as of now my aim is only to get a good grasp on the math needed for grad-level GR. I won't touch GR and the physics behind it all without mastering SR. I hope that makes sense.

That said, the heavy DG that you mention for the same - that's the tricky bit. Because in the book there are all sorts of topics and I'm uncertain which ones aren't strictly necessary. Any kind of help in which ones are skippable and which ones aren't would be very useful.
If you are studying Newman's book as a preliminary to learning SR followed by GR, then you are probably wasting much of your time. It doesn't necessarily help to get so far ahead in the mathematics department. You should aim to develop your physics and mathematics in parallel. For example, many people would say that classical electromagnetism is a pre-requisite for GR, because it's too big a step to tackle GR without having the experience of classical EM. The authors of graduate texts in GR will assume you have a working knowldege of classical EM in any case.

The sooner you start SR the better (the mathematical prerequisites are minimal). The first chapter of Morin's book is free online:

https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/david-morin/files/relativity_chap_1.pdf

Also, I particularly like Helliwell's book:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6453378-special-relativity

That said, Newman's book looks excellent for grad students.

Likes vanhees71
PeroK said:
@ergospherical do you have any thoughts on Newman's book? Looks good?
Haven’t read it, sorry! Looks awfully expensive, though.

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
PeroK said:
@ergospherical do you have any thoughts on Newman's book? Looks good?
It looks good, but it is a geometry book first, and not aimed at just the parts relevant for physics. It is similar in spirit to O'Neill or Sternberg's books. If one wants to study geometry first and then GR, it is perhaps easier and faster to just look at a differential/riemannian geometry books. Say Lee's Introduction to Riemannian Manifolds.

edit: Sorry didn't realize this was not addressed to everyone.

martinbn said:
It looks good, but it is a geometry book first, and not aimed at just the parts relevant for physics. It is similar in spirit to O'Neill or Sternberg's books. If one wants to study geometry first and then GR, it is perhaps easier and faster to just look at a differential/riemannian geometry books. Say Lee's Introduction to Riemannian Manifolds.

edit: Sorry didn't realize this was not addressed to everyone.
Looking at the ToC, could you give some advice on which chapters can be potentially skipped (in the context of grad level GR prerequisites) if possible?

e.g. as I said in the OP I know that ch 1-6, ch 9, ch 10, ch 14-15, ch 18-19 are essential. And I think that ch 11-13 can be skipped. But not sure about the rest.

Sorry for the bother :oldshy:

Shirish said:
Looking at the ToC, could you give some advice on which chapters can be potentially skipped (in the context of grad level GR prerequisites) if possible?

e.g. as I said in the OP I know that ch 1-6, ch 9, ch 10, ch 14-15, ch 18-19 are essential. And I think that ch 11-13 can be skipped. But not sure about the rest.

Sorry for the bother :oldshy:
You can skip the rest on first reading.

1. What is Semi-Riemannian Geometry?

Semi-Riemannian Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the geometric properties of spaces that have both positive and negative curvature, such as spacetime in general relativity. It combines elements of both Riemannian Geometry and Lorentzian Geometry, and is essential for understanding the mathematical foundations of general relativity.

2. Why is Semi-Riemannian Geometry important in General Relativity?

Semi-Riemannian Geometry provides the mathematical framework for understanding the curvature of spacetime in general relativity. It allows us to describe the effects of gravity on the motion of objects and the behavior of light, and is crucial for making precise predictions and calculations in this theory.

3. What are some key concepts in Semi-Riemannian Geometry?

Some key concepts in Semi-Riemannian Geometry include the metric tensor, which measures the distance and angle between vectors in a curved space, and the curvature tensor, which describes the curvature of a space at a given point. Other important concepts include geodesics, which are the paths of least resistance in a curved space, and the Einstein field equations, which relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy.

4. How does Semi-Riemannian Geometry differ from Euclidean Geometry?

The main difference between Semi-Riemannian Geometry and Euclidean Geometry is the inclusion of negative curvature in the former. In Euclidean Geometry, the curvature is always positive, while in Semi-Riemannian Geometry, it can be positive, negative, or zero. This allows for a more flexible and realistic description of curved spaces, such as those found in general relativity.

5. What are some real-world applications of Semi-Riemannian Geometry?

Semi-Riemannian Geometry has numerous applications in physics, particularly in general relativity. It is also used in other areas of mathematics, such as differential geometry and topology, and has practical applications in fields such as computer graphics and computer vision. Additionally, understanding the concepts of Semi-Riemannian Geometry can help us better understand the structure and behavior of the universe.