Studying Calculus-Some help, please?

• Thread starter jobsism
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary: Overall, self-studying in Mathematics and Physics during the gap between high school and college is a great idea and will help you in your academic journey.
jobsism
Hello everyone! :)

I've just finished high school, and have got about 3 months before college begins. So, during this time, I was thinking of doing some self-study in Mathematics and Physics, as I realized that pop-sci books only give me a superficial understanding, and reading them although is fun, is actually quite a waste of time.

So, after looking around a lot of similar threads on here, and researching some study resources, I've come to the decision that I need to gain more skills in Math, to truly understand Physics. So, after having completed a review of high school algebra and trigonometry (which I think I'm pretty good at now), I was thinking of starting MIT Opencourseware's Scholar course on Single Variable Calculus (And also Paul's Online Math Notes for more practice problems). The course claims to be self-contained, both in terms of Theory and Problem Sets. So, is this a good choice, or do you guys think textbooks would serve better in gaining skill? Of course, I do realize that in order to truly master Calculus, one has to beat the legendary Spivak, but I don't think I'm ready for that level yet. So, would the OCW course suffice for a first (yet rigorous)exposure?

Also, is it necessary to be proficient in Complex Numbers or Statistics (just to be sure! :D) before starting Calculus? I'm kinda weak on those two topics.

Any help is deeply appreciated! Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
</code>Yes, the MIT Opencourseware course is a great choice for a first exposure to Calculus. It's an excellent resource that covers all the basics of calculus and provides plenty of practice problems as well. As for Complex Numbers and Statistics, these are not required for starting a Calculus course, but they will certainly help with understanding certain concepts and ideas in more depth. If you feel like you need more help with these topics, you can always review the material from high school or look for free online resources.

Related to Studying Calculus-Some help, please?

What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of rates of change and accumulation, and is used to solve problems involving continuous change.

Why is Calculus important?

Calculus is important because it provides a framework for understanding and solving complex problems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

What are the main topics covered in Calculus?

The main topics covered in Calculus include limits, derivatives, integrals, and applications of these concepts to real-world problems. Other topics may include sequences, series, and multivariable calculus.

How can I improve my understanding of Calculus?

To improve your understanding of Calculus, it is important to practice regularly and seek help when needed. Utilizing online resources, attending study groups, and seeking assistance from a tutor or teacher can also be helpful.

What careers require knowledge of Calculus?

Careers that require knowledge of Calculus include but are not limited to, mathematicians, physicists, engineers, economists, and data analysts. It is also beneficial for those pursuing degrees in fields such as medicine, computer science, and business.