Studying after my BESc (Computer Engineering)?

In summary, the individual is considering their options after completing their BESc and is torn between pursuing a HBA or MEng degree. They express concern about the effectiveness of business studies in the field of computer engineering. They also mention that computer engineering is a sub-field of electrical engineering and that electronics is as relevant as mechanics in the industrial field. They suggest studying economics for business topics relevant to engineering.
Alann
Hello.
I'm wondering of possible avenues to look into when I finish my BESc.
I was leaning towards one of these two paths:
HBA, Bachelor of Business Administration or
MEng, Masters of Engineering.

The only problem I'm having is having in mind that Computer Engineering is not a traditional branch of engineering, therefore I don't think anything in business will be heavily effective with electronic design than for instance mechanical engineering.

Any tips would be appropriated.

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alann said:
Hello.
I'm wondering of possible avenues to look into when I finish my BESc.
I was leaning towards one of these two paths:
HBA, Bachelor of Business Administration or
MEng, Masters of Engineering.

The only problem I'm having is having in mind that Computer Engineering is not a traditional branch of engineering, therefore I don't think anything in business will be heavily effective with electronic design than for instance mechanical engineering.

Any tips would be appropriated.

Thank You.

What do you mean it's not a traditional branch of engineering? CE is a sub-field of electrical engineering and designing and building computer hardware is as much of engineering as other types of engineering, even though it doesn't carry as many risks as some other disciplines with bigger physical objects, moving parts or dangerous phenomena. Electronics is also as relevant industrial field as mechanics, they're just very different.

Business administration degrees are targeted to managers and directors (CEOs, MDs etc.) and people generally taking them have a considerable work background in managerial roles. The degree does not prepare for managerial roles, but it's more to offer existing managers and directors updating training and networking. If you want to study business topics relevant to engineering, I'd recommend studying economics.

Last edited:

Related to Studying after my BESc (Computer Engineering)?

1. What are the career opportunities after completing a BESc in Computer Engineering?

Completing a BESc in Computer Engineering can lead to various career opportunities such as software engineer, hardware engineer, systems analyst, data analyst, network administrator, and many more. These roles can be found in industries such as technology, telecommunications, healthcare, finance, and government.

2. Is a BESc in Computer Engineering a challenging degree?

Yes, a BESc in Computer Engineering can be a challenging degree as it combines both theoretical and practical aspects of computer science and engineering. Students will learn about programming languages, algorithms, computer architecture, and electronics. However, with dedication and hard work, it is a rewarding and fulfilling degree.

3. How long does it take to complete a BESc in Computer Engineering?

The duration of a BESc in Computer Engineering can vary depending on the university and the student's course load. Typically, it takes four years to complete the degree full-time. Some universities may offer accelerated programs or co-op options that may shorten the duration.

4. Do I need a strong background in math and science to pursue a BESc in Computer Engineering?

While having a strong foundation in math and science can be beneficial, it is not a requirement to pursue a BESc in Computer Engineering. The program will cover the necessary math and science concepts needed for the field. However, having an interest and aptitude for problem-solving and critical thinking is important.

5. How can I prepare for a BESc in Computer Engineering?

To prepare for a BESc in Computer Engineering, it is helpful to have a basic understanding of programming languages, math, and science concepts. You can also start learning about computer engineering through online resources, coding bootcamps, or summer programs. It is also important to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.