Studying Abroad at Arizona State

In summary, my university has a partnership with Arizona State university, whereby i can study there for one semester in my third year. I need to pick a suitable program and I'm not really sure what i'll be qualified to take. I'm only interested in doing pure physics, so I'm guessing i'll need to do all the stuff listed in the semester 5 major1 (semester 5 = 1st semester in the 3rd year, right?):-Take a course in physics-Complete your degree requirements-Remember that third year in the UK system (I'm guessing you're from Britain) is essentially fourth year in the US system.
mrausum
My university has a partnership with Arizona State university, whereby i can study there for one semester in my third year. I need to pick a suitable program and I'm not really sure what i'll be qualified to take. I'm only interested in doing pure physics, so I'm guessing i'll need to do all the stuff listed in the semester 5 major1 (semester 5 = 1st semester in the 3rd year, right?):

http://physics.asu.edu/undergraduate/programs/major1 ,

although I'm not sure how the system works over in the US in terms of having to do extra options (minors?) etc. I'd also like to know how mathematical the courses are? A full on quantum Physics course with very little maths training doesn't sound all that fun. There really isn't all that much course information on the website :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would imagine that the courses you need to take are those that complete your degree, and not the degree programmes that are in place at the foreign university. Your university will have rules on what will/won't be transferable, but I imagine you should be able to take courses out of the list for semester 5 or semester 7. Remember that third year in the UK system (I'm guessing you're from Britain) is essentially fourth year in the US system.

cristo said:
I would imagine that the courses you need to take are those that complete your degree, and not the degree programmes that are in place at the foreign university. Your university will have rules on what will/won't be transferable, but I imagine you should be able to take courses out of the list for semester 5 or semester 7. Remember that third year in the UK system (I'm guessing you're from Britain) is essentially fourth year in the US system.

I spoke to my head of department on the phone and he seems fairly clueless. He just told me to 'pick a course you'd find interesting'. I don't think I need to necessarily take the same courses that I would have taken if I had stayed in the UK. Although i'd want to make sure I take all the necessary courses so that I have all the prerequesites for my 4th and 3rd year semester two courses.

Related to Studying Abroad at Arizona State

1. What are the benefits of studying abroad at Arizona State?

Studying abroad at Arizona State offers numerous benefits, including experiencing a new culture, improving language skills, gaining independence and self-confidence, and expanding one's global network. Additionally, students can take advantage of unique academic programs and research opportunities at ASU.

2. How much does it cost to study abroad at Arizona State?

The cost of studying abroad at Arizona State varies depending on the program and length of stay. However, ASU offers financial aid and scholarships specifically for study abroad students, and many students find that the cost is comparable to or even less than studying on their home campus.

3. What types of study abroad programs are available at Arizona State?

Arizona State offers a wide range of study abroad programs, including semester and year-long programs, summer and winter sessions, and faculty-led programs. Students can also choose to study at one of ASU's partner universities or participate in an internship or research program abroad.

4. How does studying abroad at Arizona State impact my academic progress?

Studying abroad at Arizona State can enhance your academic progress by providing unique opportunities for learning and personal growth. Many programs offer courses that fulfill major or general education requirements, and ASU has a team of academic advisors and support services to assist students with their academic plans.

5. What resources and support are available for international students at Arizona State?

Arizona State has a dedicated International Students and Scholars Center that provides resources and support for international students. This includes assistance with visas and immigration, cultural adaptation, and academic and career guidance. ASU also has a strong international community and numerous student organizations for students to connect with others from around the world.