Study Tips for College Physics 101

In summary, the student is struggling with physics and has failed the first two tests. They are trying to figure out what they are doing wrong and have suggestions on how to study better. They mention that if they had more practice problems, they would be better prepared for the exams. They also mention that getting help from a tutor can help, but that there is a lot of material to cover in physics.
jcksn34
study suggestions??

Im taking college physics 101 right now and have failed the first 2 tests. I've tried studying by practicing problems a hundred times and took the second test answering every question and feeling like i knew what i was doing only to find out i got a 46 percent! he is a hard teacher the highest grade was an 87 and there are a lot of grades in the 30's and 40's ,but even the kid next to me was struggling during the lecture and i was helping him, he ended getting an 84. I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong if anyone has some suggestions on how to approach studying and maybe if i should go back and try to learn the topics from the previous test more. I have a tutor and it helps but it seems like there's a lot of times I am correcting him so i feel like i know what I am doing for the most part, any suggestions on how to study for a first time physics student?

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is that you're missing on your tests? Theory? Application? The math?

im fine with the actual math i think its setting up the equations or which ones to use after reading the situation

When you get your tests back, what kind of things are you finding out that you were doing wrong? Are you using the wrong approach to problems? Are you just going wrong in the math somewhere?

I would suggest making sure you understand the basics of the concepts being studied, and to do lots and lots of practice problems. And I don't mean doing the same ones over and over. If there isn't a lot of extra problems in your textbook, get some other books to work out of. This will help you see where your understanding is at and give you "experience" so you can recognize what to do when you find one of these problems on your exam.

If you can, get halliday for physics there's easily 100+ practice problems to work through for every chapter.

If you're having trouble setting up the right equations for certain problems then I would suggest writing out a list of everything you know and what the problem asks you for. Generally for most questions if a value is given in a problem you will need to use it at some point (MOST of the the time).

thanks ill try that i think my biggest problem is when doing homework in class ill know what type of problem we're doing but when it comes to the test and we get questions on different topics or ones that combine different aspect of what we learned i get confused and a lot of times have trouble seeing the big picture if that makes any sense

wow cool i just found a free companion website for that halliday book it looks like it has interactive tutoriols and other tools

Related to Study Tips for College Physics 101

What are some effective study tips for College Physics 101?

1. Start by understanding the fundamentals: Physics is a subject that builds upon basic principles and concepts. Make sure you have a strong grasp of the fundamentals before moving on to more complex topics.

2. Practice regularly: Physics is a subject that requires practice to fully understand and apply concepts. Make sure to regularly solve problems and practice equations to improve your understanding.

3. Create visual aids: Physics involves a lot of diagrams and visuals. Creating your own visual aids, such as mind maps or flashcards, can help you better understand and remember key concepts.

4. Use online resources: There are many online resources available for College Physics 101, such as video tutorials, practice quizzes, and study guides. Utilize these resources to supplement your learning and reinforce key concepts.

5. Ask for help: If you are struggling with a particular concept or topic, don't be afraid to ask for help. Your professor, teaching assistant, or classmates can offer valuable insights and explanations that can aid in your understanding of the subject.