Study for Feynman Diagrams: Beyond Shankar, etc?

• I
  • Thread starter kent davidge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagrams
In summary, Feynman diagrams are pictorial representations used in perturbation theory to solve systems. While they can be applied in standard quantum mechanics, they are more commonly used in quantum field theory, which requires a deeper understanding than introductory textbooks provide.
kent davidge
What I would have to study before reaching the subject treated by Feynamn Diagrams? Is it too beyond the subjects treated in books like Shankar, Mc Intyre, Griffiths, etc? (I'm sorry for my poor English.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Feynman diagrams are pictorial representations of terms in a perturbation series. A priori, you could use them to solve any system perturbatively as long as perturbation theory holds. As such you could a priori use them in standard quantum mechanics, but this is rarely done.

In practice, what you are looking for is likely how to use Feynman diagrams in quantum field theory. This requires more background than your introductory quantum mechanics textbook.

Likes kent davidge
Orodruin said:
Feynman diagrams are pictorial representations of terms in a perturbation series. A priori, you could use them to solve any system perturbatively as long as perturbation theory holds. As such you could a priori use them in standard quantum mechanics, but this is rarely done.

In practice, what you are looking for is likely how to use Feynman diagrams in quantum field theory. This requires more background than your introductory quantum mechanics textbook.
Thank you!

Related to Study for Feynman Diagrams: Beyond Shankar, etc?

1. What is the purpose of studying Feynman diagrams?

Feynman diagrams are a visual representation of mathematical equations that describe the interactions between particles in quantum field theory. They are used to better understand and predict the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

2. Do I need to have a strong background in physics to study Feynman diagrams?

While a basic understanding of physics is helpful, studying Feynman diagrams requires a deep understanding of quantum field theory, which is a complex topic. It is recommended to have a solid foundation in physics and mathematics before delving into the study of Feynman diagrams.

3. What makes studying Feynman diagrams beyond Shankar different?

Shankar's approach to Feynman diagrams is based on a simplified version of quantum field theory, known as the "old-fashioned" approach. Beyond Shankar, there are more advanced techniques and concepts that are used to analyze and interpret Feynman diagrams, allowing for a deeper understanding of quantum field theory.

4. Are there practical applications of studying Feynman diagrams?

Yes, Feynman diagrams have many practical applications in the field of particle physics. They are used to calculate and predict the outcomes of particle interactions, and have played a crucial role in the development of the Standard Model, which is the most widely accepted theory of particle physics.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Feynman diagrams?

To improve your understanding of Feynman diagrams, it is important to have a strong foundation in quantum field theory, and to practice drawing and interpreting different types of diagrams. It can also be helpful to consult with experts in the field and attend lectures or workshops on the topic.