Recent paper on QED using finite-dimensional Hilbert space - validity?

In summary, Charles Francis introduces a lattice-based technique in his paper "A construction of full QED using finite dimensional Hilbert space" and argues that space is not a fundamental physical concept. He interprets measurement results as relationships between matter and reference matter, and states that Feynman diagrams have a natural interpretation in terms of interactions between particles. However, his interpretation of Feynman diagrams has been criticized as a major step backward from QFT and giving ontological status to individual diagrams. The paper has not gained much attention and is considered to be a crackpot work.
asimov42
TL;DR Summary
Seems to be opposite QFT - unclear about Feynman diagrams...
I've been struggling with a somewhat-recent paper by Charles Francis, "A construction of full QED using finite dimensional Hilbert space," available here: https://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0605127.pdf

But also published in https://www.researchgate.net/journal/1729-5254_Electronic_Journal_of_Theoretical_Physics 10(28):27–80 · May 2006.

Francis introduces a lattice-based technique of sorts, based on measurement limitations. Space is also not fundamental -> "In the present treatment quantum properties are understood to arise precisely because space does not appear as a fundamental physical concept. Measurement results are seen as relationships between the matter (or radiation) under study and reference matter 3 used to defined the measurement"

Note that: "The fundamental physical concepts are particles, and Feynman diagrams have a natural interpretation in terms of interactions between particles in the absence of spacetime background. The predictions of perturbative QED are unaltered."

I'm bothered by Section 7.4 of the paper (Finite quantum electrodynamics - Interpretation of Feynman diagrams), where the author states that: "In standard treatments of QED, Feynman diagrams are regarded merely as aids to calculation, not descriptions of underlying structure. By contrast, in this treatment the perturbation expansion is interpreted directly as a quantum-logical statement, meaning that any number of interactions might be found taking place at any time and any position if we were to do a measurement ... in a particle interpretation, Feynman diagrams also give a pictorial representation of the fundamental structure of matter."

The above to me seems like a major step back from QFT, and also like ontological status is given to individual Feynman diagrams (a no-no, I thought). I'm not sure at all what this says about virtual particles, etc. If anyone is will to have a look and chime in (@A. Neumaier perhaps in particular!) I'd be grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
asimov42 said:
Summary: Seems to be opposite QFT - unclear about Feynman diagrams...

I've been struggling with a somewhat-recent paper by Charles Francis, "A construction of full QED using finite dimensional Hilbert space," available here: https://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0605127.pdf

But also published in https://www.researchgate.net/journal/1729-5254_Electronic_Journal_of_Theoretical_Physics 10(28):27–80 · May 2006.

Francis introduces a lattice-based technique of sorts, based on measurement limitations. Space is also not fundamental -> "In the present treatment quantum properties are understood to arise precisely because space does not appear as a fundamental physical concept. Measurement results are seen as relationships between the matter (or radiation) under study and reference matter 3 used to defined the measurement"

Note that: "The fundamental physical concepts are particles, and Feynman diagrams have a natural interpretation in terms of interactions between particles in the absence of spacetime background. The predictions of perturbative QED are unaltered."

I'm bothered by Section 7.4 of the paper (Finite quantum electrodynamics - Interpretation of Feynman diagrams), where the author states that: "In standard treatments of QED, Feynman diagrams are regarded merely as aids to calculation, not descriptions of underlying structure. By contrast, in this treatment the perturbation expansion is interpreted directly as a quantum-logical statement, meaning that any number of interactions might be found taking place at any time and any position if we were to do a measurement ... in a particle interpretation, Feynman diagrams also give a pictorial representation of the fundamental structure of matter."

The above to me seems like a major step back from QFT, and also like ontological status is given to individual Feynman diagrams (a no-no, I thought). I'm not sure at all what this says about virtual particles, etc. If anyone is will to have a look and chime in (@A. Neumaier perhaps in particular!) I'd be grateful.
A 13 year old paper is not recent...
Its a crackpot paper that you may safely ignore . He does not construct full QED, in spite of the title of the paper.

Likes vanhees71
Thanks @A. Neumaier as usual for shedding some light on the validity of the work ... I suspected since it has almost no citations.

Is it possible to ask what (possibly obvious) parts of QED Francis has missed? (to help my own study)

asimov42 said:
Thanks @A. Neumaier as usual for shedding some light on the validity of the work ... I suspected since it has almost no citations.

Is it possible to ask what (possibly obvious) parts of QED Francis has missed? (to help my own study)
I'd need to reread the paper - wrote from memory, being on holidays. He had a long history of fighting established physics...

1. What is the main focus of the recent paper on QED using finite-dimensional Hilbert space?

The main focus of the recent paper is to explore the validity of using finite-dimensional Hilbert space in quantum electrodynamics (QED) calculations. This approach has been proposed as an alternative to the traditional infinite-dimensional Hilbert space used in QED.

2. How does using finite-dimensional Hilbert space impact QED calculations?

Using finite-dimensional Hilbert space can simplify QED calculations by reducing the number of degrees of freedom and making the calculations more tractable. It also has the potential to provide a better understanding of the physical processes involved in QED.

3. What are the potential limitations of using finite-dimensional Hilbert space in QED?

One potential limitation is that using finite-dimensional Hilbert space may not accurately capture the full complexity of QED phenomena. It may also lead to approximations and errors in calculations, particularly for highly precise measurements.

4. What evidence does the recent paper provide for the validity of using finite-dimensional Hilbert space in QED?

The recent paper presents theoretical arguments and mathematical proofs to support the use of finite-dimensional Hilbert space in QED calculations. It also provides comparisons with traditional QED calculations and experimental data to demonstrate the accuracy of the approach.

5. How does the use of finite-dimensional Hilbert space in QED impact current understanding of quantum mechanics?

The use of finite-dimensional Hilbert space in QED challenges traditional understandings of quantum mechanics, which have been based on infinite-dimensional Hilbert space. It opens up new possibilities for studying and interpreting quantum phenomena and may lead to further advancements in the field of quantum mechanics.