Stuck trying to integrate the surface area of a curve

In summary, the problem is to find the area of the surface generated by revolving the curve x=\frac{e^y + e^{-y} }{2}from 0 \leq y \leq ln(2) about the y-axis. I tried the normal route first, but got stuck when trying to integrate even e^{2y} . Next, I would expand the integrand, and then apply the given limits in the FTOC.
aleksbooker1
Here's the problem I was given:

Find the area of the surface generated by revolving the curve

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{e^y + e^{-y} }{2}\)

from 0 \(\displaystyle \leq\) y \(\displaystyle \leq\) ln(2) about the y-axis.

I tried the normal route first...

g(y) = x = \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2} (e^y + e^{-y})\)
g'(y) = dx/dy = \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2} (e^y - e^{-y}) \)

S = \(\displaystyle \int 2\pi \frac{1}{2} (e^y + e^{-y}) \sqrt{1+(e^y - e^{-y})^2} dy\)

S = \(\displaystyle \pi \int (e^y + e^{-y}) \sqrt{\frac{1}{4}e^{2y}+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{4}e^{-2y} } dy\)

S = \(\displaystyle \pi \int (e^y + e^{-y}) \sqrt{\frac{1}{4} (e^y+e^{-y})^2} dy\)

S = \(\displaystyle \pi \int (e^y + e^{-y}) \frac {1}{2} (e^y+e^{-y}) dy\)

But then I got stuck here...

S = \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2} \pi \int (e^y + e^{-y})^2 dy \)

How should I proceed? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB! :D

Next, I would expand the integrand, and then apply the given limits in the FTOC...

Hi @MarkFL,

Thanks for the response. When you say expand the integrand, do you mean like this?

S = \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\pi \int e^{2y} + 2 + e^{-2y}\)

If so, how do I use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. I know what FTOC stands for but I never learned it as a thing by itself. I was taught how to look at a problem and break it down, but the definitions weren't really a part of my curriculum. :(

I've also tried splitting it into its components after expanding it, like so:

S = \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\pi \int e^{2y} + \frac{1}{2}\pi \int 2 + \frac{1}{2}\pi \int e^{-2y} \)

But then I get stuck trying to integrate even \(\displaystyle e^{2y} \) by itself.

S = \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\pi \frac{1}{3y} e^{3y} \) ?

Last edited:
What you actually have is:

\(\displaystyle S=\frac{\pi}{2}\int_{0}^{\ln(2)} e^{2y}+2+e^{-2y}\,dy\)

The anti-derivative form of the FTOC states that if $f(x)$ is continuous on $[a.b]$:

\(\displaystyle \int_a^b f(x)\,dx=F(b)-F(a)\)

where \(\displaystyle F'(x)=f(x)\).

So, you need to find the anti-derivative and then evaluate it at the upper limit, and then subtract from this the evaluation at the lower limit.

MarkFL said:
So, you need to find the anti-derivative and then evaluate it at the upper limit, and then subtract from this the evaluation at the lower limit.

Oh, okay. I know how to do that. The trick is anti-deriving with a variable in the exponent. For example, if I expand it and then split it into three integrands and try tackle each one by itself, I trip up on the first one: \(\displaystyle e^{2y} \).

The best I can come up with is:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2 \ln{2} +1} e^{2 \ln{2} +1 } \)

Which I don't think is a "legal move" in calculus. Is it?

EDIT: Wait... now, I get it. I forgot how much I hate working with e, sometimes. The antiderivative of \(\displaystyle e^{2y} [/MATH} is \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2} e^{2y} \), not some twisted \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2y+1}e^{2y+1} \) like I was thinking...\)

Last edited:
There's really no need to break it up into three integrals (although you can).

If you have the indefinite integral:

\(\displaystyle \int e^{ax}\,dx\) where $a$ is a non-zero constant, use the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=ax\)

What do you need for your new differential to be and how can you get it?

Its not that difficult to remember the slightly more general formula
[tex]\int e^{ax}dx= \frac{1}{a}e^{ax}+ C[/tex]

Thanks @MarkFL and @HallsofIvy, I'll add that to my mental cheatsheet for antiderivatives. :)

Related to Stuck trying to integrate the surface area of a curve

1. What is surface area?

Surface area is the measure of the total area that the surface of a three-dimensional object occupies. It is typically measured in square units, such as square meters or square feet.

2. How do you calculate the surface area of a curve?

The surface area of a curve can be calculated by using a mathematical process called integration. Integration involves breaking down the curve into smaller, simpler shapes and summing up their surface areas to find the total.

3. What is the purpose of finding the surface area of a curve?

Finding the surface area of a curve can have various applications in different fields. In mathematics, it is useful for understanding and analyzing curved shapes. In science, it can be used to determine the amount of material needed to create a specific curved structure. In engineering, it can help with designing and constructing curved surfaces.

4. What are some common challenges when trying to integrate the surface area of a curve?

Some common challenges when integrating the surface area of a curve include dealing with complex or irregular shapes, choosing the correct integration method, and ensuring accuracy in the calculations.

5. Are there any helpful tips for successfully integrating the surface area of a curve?

Some tips for successfully integrating the surface area of a curve include breaking the curve into smaller, simpler shapes, using the appropriate integration method for the specific curve, and double-checking the calculations for accuracy. It can also be helpful to practice and familiarize oneself with the integration process to improve efficiency and accuracy.