Stuck on Math Problem: Finding the Derivative

I'll add the hint in the post. In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving L'Hopital's rule and the question of whether the derivative of 0 is 0 and how that applies to the problem. The person has attempted a solution but is unsure if it is correct.
KF33

Homework Statement

I have been working on the problem below and I am stuck. I am stuck primarily because of the part where is says x=0. If x-0, it should cancel everything out. The derivative of 0 is 0 so will cancel everything out I think, so I am not sure if that is the reasoning and the proof behind it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I should start this way, but I am not 100% sure.[/B]
upload_2016-6-26_20-51-50.png

Attachments

• cap 2.PNG
    cap 2.PNG
    3.3 KB · Views: 545
Physics news on Phys.org
KF33 said:

Homework Statement

I have been working on the problem below and I am stuck. I am stuck primarily because of the part where is says x=0. If x-0, it should cancel everything out. The derivative of 0 is 0 so will cancel everything out I think, so I am not sure if that is the reasoning and the proof behind it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I should start this way, but I am not 100% sure.[/B]
View attachment 102534
It's a good idea to have the problem statement visible in the OP.

cap-2-png.102533.png

L'Hopital's rule?

James R said:
L'Hopital's rule?

Not necessary with the hint in the OP, the definition of a derivative is enough.

Related to Stuck on Math Problem: Finding the Derivative

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It can also be thought of as the slope of a tangent line to the graph of a function at that point.

2. Why is finding derivatives important?

Derivatives are important because they allow us to analyze how a function is changing at a specific point. This is crucial in many fields of science, including physics, economics, and engineering.

3. How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. These rules provide a step-by-step process for finding the derivative of a function.

4. What are some real-world applications of finding derivatives?

Finding derivatives is used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as calculating velocity and acceleration in physics, determining marginal cost and revenue in economics, and optimizing processes in engineering.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when finding derivatives?

Some common mistakes when finding derivatives include forgetting to use the chain rule, making errors in algebraic simplification, and forgetting to apply the derivative to each term in a function. It's important to carefully follow the rules of differentiation and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.