Stuck on a Power Set Problem - What's the Lacking Set?

In summary, while practicing power set problems, the individual came across a set with 5 elements and determined that it cannot be the power set of any set since 5 is not a power of 2. The problem then asked for the lacking set, but the individual was unsure how to answer since there were no similar problems in their resources. With the assistance of another person, they were able to determine that the missing sets were {∅}, {∅, a}, and {∅, a, b}.
nicnicman
While practicing power set problems I came across one that has me stumped.

The problem asks: Is the following set is a power set of of a set?
{∅, {b, ∅}, {a}, {a, b}, {b}}

My answer: This set has 5 elements. Since 5 is not a power of 2, this cannot be the power set of any set.

The problem then asks: If the set is not a power set of a set, then what is the lacking set?

This is where I'm stuck. There are no similar problems in the book or on the Internet (that I can find), and I'm not sure how to answer this.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Physics news on Phys.org
nicnicman said:
While practicing power set problems I came across one that has me stumped.

The problem asks: Is the following set is a power set of of a set?
{∅, {b, ∅}, {a}, {a, b}, {b}}

My answer: This set has 5 elements. Since 5 is not a power of 2, this cannot be the power set of any set.

The problem then asks: If the set is not a power set of a set, then what is the lacking set?

This is where I'm stuck. There are no similar problems in the book or on the Internet (that I can find), and I'm not sure how to answer this.

Thank you for any suggestions!

If these are elements of the power set of some set, S, start my making a list of the elements of set S.

Okay if S = {∅, a, b},
then P(S) = [{∅, {∅}, {a}, {b}, {∅, a}, {∅, b}, {a, b}, {∅, a, b}]
Thus, the missing sets are {∅}, {∅, a}, and {∅, a, b}.

Is this correct?

Last edited:
nicnicman said:
Okay if S = {∅, a, b},
then P(S) = [{∅, {∅}, {a}, {b}, {∅, a}, {∅, b}, {a, b}, {a, b}, {∅, a, b}]
Thus, the missing sets are {∅}, {∅, a}, and {∅, a, b}.

Is this correct?

Yes.

Great! Thanks for the help.

Related to Stuck on a Power Set Problem - What's the Lacking Set?

1. What is a power set?

A power set is a set that contains all the possible subsets of a given set. For example, the power set of the set {1,2} would be {{1},{2},{1,2}, {}} where {} represents the empty set.

2. What does it mean to be stuck on a power set problem?

Being stuck on a power set problem means that you are unable to find the solution or answer to a problem that involves the use of power sets, such as finding the lacking set or determining the number of elements in a power set.

3. What is the lacking set in a power set problem?

The lacking set in a power set problem is the set that is missing from the given set of subsets. For example, if the power set of a set contains subsets {A,B,C}, {A,B}, and {C}, then the lacking set would be {A}.

4. How do you find the lacking set?

To find the lacking set, you would need to first list out all the subsets of the given set. Then, you would need to compare them to see which element is missing from all the subsets. That element would be the lacking set.

5. What is the significance of power sets in mathematics?

Power sets are important in mathematics because they allow us to examine and analyze the structure and properties of sets. They are also used in various mathematical concepts and theories, such as combinatorics and set theory.