Stuck for 2hrs on this frequency question

In summary, the two cars have identical horns emitting a frequency of 410 Hz. One car is moving at a speed of 8.0 m/s towards a bystander waiting at a corner, while the other car is parked. The speed of sound is 343 m/s, and the beat frequency heard by the bystander can be calculated using the formula f'= ((c+v)/c)*f, where c is the speed of sound and v is the speed of the moving car.
icecubz
The two cars have identical horns, each emitting a frequency of fs = 410 Hz. One of the cars is moving with a speed of 8.0 m/s toward a bystander waiting at a corner and the other car is parked. The speed of sound is 343 m/s. What is the beat frequency heard by the bystander? my attempt at the solution:

fo = 410(343)/(343 - 8.0) = 419.791 Hz

fb = f2 - f1
= 419.791 - 410
= 9.791 Hz

i keep getting 9.79 Hz as my answer. i keep getting it wrong (thats what CAPA is telling me). can some one lead me in the right direction or tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
icecubz said:
The two cars have identical horns, each emitting a frequency of fs = 410 Hz. One of the cars is moving with a speed of 8.0 m/s toward a bystander waiting at a corner and the other car is parked. The speed of sound is 343 m/s. What is the beat frequency heard by the bystander?

my attempt at the solution:

fo = 410(343)/(343 - 8.0) = 419.791 Hz

fb = f2 - f1
= 419.791 - 410
= 9.791 Hz

i keep getting 9.79 Hz as my answer. i keep getting it wrong (that's what CAPA is telling me). can some one lead me in the right direction or tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you.
Hello icecubz. Welcome to PF !

Does "CAPA" care about significant digits?

SammyS said:
Hello icecubz. Welcome to PF !

Does "CAPA" care about significant digits?

yes it does, but if i do use the incorrect amount of sig figs, it tells me to use more or less digits. doesn't penalize for incorrect sig figs.

nevertheless, I've tried entering 9.79, 9.791, and 9.80 and its come up as incorrect.

Try

f'= ((c+v)/c)*f

this gives a different frequency, and thus a different beat frequency

Hello,

It's great to see that you are working hard on this frequency question. I understand that you have been stuck for 2 hours and are still struggling to find the correct answer. I can provide some guidance to help you find the right solution.

Firstly, let's review the information given in the question. We know that both cars have identical horns with a frequency of 410 Hz. One car is moving towards a bystander at a speed of 8.0 m/s and the other car is parked. We also know that the speed of sound is 343 m/s.

To find the beat frequency heard by the bystander, we need to use the formula for beat frequency: fb = |f2 - f1|. In this case, f2 is the frequency of the approaching car (fo) and f1 is the frequency of the parked car (fs).

So, let's start by finding the frequency of the approaching car (fo). We can use the formula fo = fs (v + vo)/v, where v is the speed of sound and vo is the speed of the approaching car. Plugging in the values, we get:

fo = 410 (343 + 8.0)/343 = 419.791 Hz

Now, we can plug this value into the formula for beat frequency:

fb = 419.791 - 410 = 9.791 Hz

Therefore, the beat frequency heard by the bystander is 9.791 Hz. I noticed that you were getting the same answer, so it's possible that there might be a rounding error. Make sure to use the correct number of significant figures in your calculations.

I hope this helps you find the correct answer. Keep up the good work and don't give up. Science can be challenging, but with persistence and determination, you will find the right solution. Good luck!

Related to Stuck for 2hrs on this frequency question

1. What is "Stuck for 2hrs on this frequency question"?

"Stuck for 2hrs on this frequency question" is a phrase that refers to a situation in which a person is unable to find a solution to a problem related to frequency, and has been working on it for two hours.

2. Why might someone be stuck on a frequency question for two hours?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be a complex problem that requires a lot of time and effort to solve. It could also be that the person lacks the necessary knowledge or skills to solve the problem. Additionally, external factors such as distractions or interruptions can also contribute to being stuck on a frequency question for an extended period of time.

3. How can I get "unstuck" on a frequency question?

The first step is to take a break and have a fresh perspective. Sometimes, stepping away from the problem for a while can help clear your mind and allow for new ideas to come. It can also be helpful to consult with others who may have more experience or knowledge in the subject. Additionally, trying different approaches or techniques can also lead to a solution.

4. Is there a specific method or strategy for solving frequency questions?

Yes, there are various methods and strategies that can be used to solve frequency questions, such as creating a frequency table, using the formula for calculating frequency, or using graphical representations such as histograms or pie charts. The most effective method will depend on the specific problem and the individual's strengths and preferences.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving frequency questions?

One common mistake is misinterpreting the question or data, which can lead to incorrect calculations and solutions. It is also important to double-check all calculations and ensure that the correct formula or method is being used. Additionally, not paying attention to units and labels can also result in errors. Lastly, it is crucial to understand the concepts and principles behind frequency questions rather than just memorizing formulas or steps.