Stuart's question at Yahoo Answers regarding average value of a function

In summary: Hence, the average value of $f$ on the interval $[0,\pi]$ is $\displaystyle \boxed{\frac{2}{11\pi}}$.In summary, the average value of the function $f(x)=(\cos^{10}(x))(\sin(x))$ on the interval $[0,\pi]$ is $\displaystyle \boxed{\frac{2}{11\pi}}$.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Find the average value of the function f on the interval [0,π]. (Enter your answer in an exact form.)?

Find the average value of the function f on the interval [0,π]. (Enter your answer in an exact form.)

f(x)=(cos^10 (x))(sin (x))

Here is a link to the question:

Find the average value of the function f on the interval [0,π]. (Enter your answer in an exact form.)? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Stuart,

We are given the following theorem:

Let $f$ be continuous on $[a,b]$. The average value of $f$ on the interval is the number:

$\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{b-a}\int_a^b f(x)\,dx$

So, we identify that for our problem, we have:

$a=0,\,b=\pi,\,f(x)=\cos^{10}(x)\sin(x)$

and so we have:

$\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{\pi-0}\int_0^{\pi} \cos^{10}(x)\sin(x)\,dx$

Now, to evaluate the definite integral, we may choose the $u$-substitution:

$u=\cos(x)\,\therefore\,du=-\sin(x)\,dx$

and we now have:

$\displaystyle A=\frac{2}{\pi}\int_{0}^{1} u^{10}\,du$

Notes:
  • I changed the limits in accordance with the substitution
  • I used the rule $\displaystyle -\int_a^b f(x)\,dx=\int_b^a f(x)\,dx$
  • I used the even function rule, i.e, given an even integrand we may write $\displaystyle \int_{-a}^a f(x)\,dx=2\int_0^a f(x)\,dx$.

Now, we may find the average value:

$\displaystyle A=\frac{2}{11\pi}\left[u^{11} \right]_0^1=\frac{2}{11\pi}\left(1^{11}-0^{11} \right)=\frac{2}{11\pi}$

Related to Stuart's question at Yahoo Answers regarding average value of a function

1. What is the average value of a function?

The average value of a function is the average of all the values of the function over a given interval. It represents the "typical" or "average" output of the function over that interval.

2. How do you find the average value of a function?

To find the average value of a function, you need to take the integral of the function over the given interval and divide it by the length of the interval. This can be represented by the formula: Average value = (1/b-a) * ∫ab f(x)dx, where a and b are the endpoints of the interval.

3. Can you give an example of finding the average value of a function?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = 2x+3 and we want to find the average value over the interval [0,2]. We first take the integral of the function: ∫02 (2x+3)dx = x2+3x |02 = 4+6 = 10. Then, we divide this by the length of the interval (2-0 = 2) to get the average value of 10/2 = 5.

4. What is the significance of finding the average value of a function?

Finding the average value of a function is important because it gives us an overall understanding of the behavior of the function over a given interval. It can also be used to calculate other important values, such as the mean value theorem and the average rate of change of the function.

5. Are there any limitations to using the average value of a function?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the average value of a function. It can only be calculated for continuous functions and may not accurately represent the behavior of the function if there are extreme values or discontinuities within the given interval. Additionally, the average value may not be a value that actually exists in the function's range.