Nikki's question at Yahoo Answers regarding the Mean Value Theorem

In summary, the question is asking for help with the Mean Value Theorem in Calculus 1, specifically finding the average slope of a given function on a given interval and the value of c that satisfies the theorem. The solution involves computing the slope and equating it to the derivative of the function at c. A link to the original question has been provided for the OP to find the response.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Calculus 1 Help on Mean Value Theorem?

I don't know how to do this. :(

Consider the function f(x)=7-8x^2 on the interval [-3,6]. Find the average or mean slope of the function on this interval, i.e. ((f(6)-f(-3))/(6-(-3)))=

By the Mean Value Theorem, we know there exists a c in the open interval (-3,6) such that f'(c) is equal to this mean slope. For this problem, there is only one c that works. Find it.

If someone could help, that would be great! Thanks!

Here is a link to the question:

Calculus 1 Help on Mean Value Theorem? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: nikki's question at Yahoo! Answers regarding the Mean value Theorem

Hello nikki,

First, let's compute the slope $m$ of the secant line:

\(\displaystyle m=\frac{f(6)-f(-3)}{6-(-3)}=\frac{\left(7-8(6)^2 \right)-\left(7-8(-3)^2 \right)}{6+3}=\frac{8\left(-6^2+3^2 \right)}{9}=\frac{8\cdot9\left(1-2^2 \right)}{9}=8(-3)=-24\)

Now, let's compute the derivative of the given function at $x=c$ and equate this to $m$:

\(\displaystyle f'(c)=m\)

\(\displaystyle -16c=-24\)

\(\displaystyle c=\frac{24}{16}=\frac{3\cdot8}{2\cdot8}=\frac{3}{2}\)

To nikki and any other guest viewing this topic, I invite and encourage you to register and post other calculus problems in our http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f10/ forum.

Best Regards,

Mark.

Related to Nikki's question at Yahoo Answers regarding the Mean Value Theorem

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists a point within that interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function over that interval.

2. How is the Mean Value Theorem used in calculus?

The Mean Value Theorem is used to prove important results in calculus such as the existence of critical points, the relationship between a function and its derivative, and the existence of extrema.

3. Why is the Mean Value Theorem important?

The Mean Value Theorem is important because it is the foundation for many other theorems and concepts in calculus. It allows us to make important conclusions about a function based on its derivative, and it is essential for understanding the behavior of functions.

4. What are the requirements for the Mean Value Theorem to hold?

The Mean Value Theorem requires that the function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval. Additionally, the function must not have any breaks or sharp turns within the interval.

5. Can the Mean Value Theorem be used for all functions?

No, the Mean Value Theorem only applies to certain types of functions that meet the requirements mentioned above. For example, it cannot be used for functions with discontinuities or functions that are not differentiable on the open interval.