Struggling with Stokes' Theorem? Need Help Solving?

In summary: Instead the integral will give you the area directly.In summary, the conversation discusses using Stokes' theorem to solve a problem involving a triangle with given vertices. The solution involves finding the curl of F and the normal vector of the triangle, which is used to find the equation of the plane. Using the "fundamental vector product," the integral of the dot product of the normal vector and curl F is taken over the area of the triangle in the xy-plane. The question of whether to normalize the normal vector is also addressed.
asi123

Homework Statement

I got stuck using the Stokes' theorem, the problem is at the bottom of the pic.
I found the Curl of F, and also the normal of the Triangle. As you can see, I ended up with an area integer with 3 variables, how do I solve this? did I do it right?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 378
Physics news on Phys.org
The area over which you now need to integrate is the interior of the triangle with vertices A= (0,0,1), B= (2,0,9), and C= (2,2,11). The vector from A to B is <2, 0, 8> and from A to C is <2, 2, 10>. A normal to that plane is given by the cross product: <-16, -2, 4> or, dividing by 2 to simplify, <8, -1, 2>. The equation of the plane is 8x- y+ 2(z-1)= 0 or 8x- y+ 2z= 2 which we can finally write as z= 1- 4x+ (1/2)y. Writing that as a vector equation, using x and y as parameters, [itex]\vec{r}(x,y)= x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ (1- 4x+ y/2)\vec{i}[/itex]. Then [itex]\vec{r}_x= \vec{i}- 4\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r}_y= \vec{j}+ 1/2\vec{k}[/itex]. The "fundamental vector product for the surface is the cross product of those, [itex]2\vec{i}- (1/2)\vec{j}+ \vec{k}[/itex]. You need to integrate the dot product of that with curl F with respect to x and y, over the area in the xy-plane with vertices (0,0), (2,0), and (2,2), the projection of the points given to the xy-plane.

HallsofIvy said:
The area over which you now need to integrate is the interior of the triangle with vertices A= (0,0,1), B= (2,0,9), and C= (2,2,11). The vector from A to B is <2, 0, 8> and from A to C is <2, 2, 10>. A normal to that plane is given by the cross product: <-16, -2, 4> or, dividing by 2 to simplify, <8, -1, 2>. The equation of the plane is 8x- y+ 2(z-1)= 0 or 8x- y+ 2z= 2 which we can finally write as z= 1- 4x+ (1/2)y. Writing that as a vector equation, using x and y as parameters, [itex]\vec{r}(x,y)= x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ (1- 4x+ y/2)\vec{i}[/itex]. Then [itex]\vec{r}_x= \vec{i}- 4\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r}_y= \vec{j}+ 1/2\vec{k}[/itex]. The "fundamental vector product for the surface is the cross product of those, [itex]2\vec{i}- (1/2)\vec{j}+ \vec{k}[/itex]. You need to integrate the dot product of that with curl F with respect to x and y, over the area in the xy-plane with vertices (0,0), (2,0), and (2,2), the projection of the points given to the xy-plane.
Thanks a lot HallsofIvy.

I think the first cross product should be (-16, -4, 4), right?

Another thing.
I marked everything in the pic.
Shouldn't I normalize the normal vector?
Did I write the boundaries right?

10x again.

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 338
Whether you should normalize the normal vector depends upon exactly how you are calculating the differential of area. I prefer to use the "fundamental vector product" as above. That is both normal to the plane and its length is the correct differential of area. That you do NOT want to normalize.

Related to Struggling with Stokes' Theorem? Need Help Solving?

1. What is Stokes' Theorem and what is its significance?

Stokes' Theorem is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates a surface integral over a closed surface to a line integral along the boundary of that surface. Its significance lies in its usefulness in solving problems related to fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and other areas of physics and engineering.

2. How do I know when to use Stokes' Theorem?

Stokes' Theorem is typically used when you need to evaluate a surface integral over a closed surface, and you have the option of converting it to a line integral along the boundary of that surface. This can be helpful when the surface is difficult to parameterize or when the surface is defined by a vector field.

3. What are the steps for solving a problem using Stokes' Theorem?

The steps for solving a problem using Stokes' Theorem are as follows: 1) Identify the surface and its boundary, 2) Parameterize the boundary curve, 3) Find the appropriate vector field, 4) Compute the line integral along the boundary, 5) Use Stokes' Theorem to convert the surface integral to the line integral, and 6) Evaluate the line integral to find the final answer.

4. How do I handle difficult surfaces or vector fields when using Stokes' Theorem?

If the surface or vector field is difficult to work with, you may need to use other techniques such as Green's Theorem, the Divergence Theorem, or the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. These theorems can be used to simplify the problem or reduce it to a more manageable form before applying Stokes' Theorem.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when using Stokes' Theorem?

One common mistake is forgetting to check that the surface is closed and the boundary is a simple, closed curve. Another mistake is not properly parameterizing the boundary curve, which can lead to incorrect results. It's also important to pay attention to the orientation of the surface and boundary, as this can affect the sign of the integral. Finally, make sure to carefully evaluate the line integral along the boundary to avoid computational errors.