Struggling with relativistic mechanics questions, need a textbook recommended

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggle of catching up on relativity material due to a lack of understanding from the professor and difficulty finding suitable resources. The individual is seeking recommendations for textbooks or videos to help them catch up and mentions an example of the type of coursework they are dealing with. Several resources are suggested, including books on introductory modern physics and a classic book solely focused on relativity. The individual later updates that they were able to ace the test with the help of these resources.
alexis12
I have never done relativity before, my uni professor isn't good enough and I can't understand a word he says, he's all over the place.

Anyway I missed a week due to being sick, and I just can't catch up, I am struggling to find any textbooks that have similar notation or help me solve problems. They all assume I understand things like length contraction, time dilation, proper length, etc.

This is an example of the simplest questions we have been asked: http://i.imgur.com/lHtbXPU.jpg

What textbook, youtube video series, or whatever can I watch to catch up and learn about relativity? This is second year undergraduate physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
alexis12 said:
This is an example of the simplest questions we have been asked: http://i.imgur.com/lHtbXPU.jpg
It's OK to post that as an example of the sort of coursework that you're dealng with, but if you actually want help solving those particular problems, you'll get more support and help from the homework forums.

The level of material in those questions corresponds to a second-year "introductory modern physics" course such as is commonly taught at universities in the US. Books for these courses have a chapter or two about special relativity: length contraction, time dilation, relativistic energy and momentum. Examples:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471828726/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0072448482/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0534417817/?tag=pfamazon01-20

A classic book that's just about relativity:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0716723271/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, I aced the test, it all seems to easy to me now.

I understand your frustration and difficulty in finding proper resources to understand relativistic mechanics. Relativity is a complex and abstract concept and it can be challenging to grasp without proper guidance. However, there are many excellent textbooks and online resources available to help you understand and solve problems related to relativistic mechanics.

Some recommended textbooks for relativistic mechanics are "Introduction to Special Relativity" by Robert Resnick and "Spacetime and Geometry: An Introduction to General Relativity" by Sean Carroll. These textbooks provide clear explanations and examples for concepts such as length contraction, time dilation, and proper length.

In addition, there are many online resources available for learning about relativity. Some popular options include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. These resources offer video lectures, interactive tutorials, and comprehensive articles on various topics related to relativity.

I would also recommend seeking help from your university's physics department or joining a study group with other students who are also studying relativity. This can provide a supportive environment for you to ask questions and work through problems together.

Lastly, don't be afraid to reach out to your professor for additional help and clarification. They may have additional resources or tips to help you understand the material better. Remember, it's important to keep practicing and working through problems to solidify your understanding of relativity.

I hope these recommendations will help you catch up and excel in your studies of relativistic mechanics. Don't give up, with determination and the right resources, you can overcome this challenge. Good luck!

Related to Struggling with relativistic mechanics questions, need a textbook recommended

What is relativistic mechanics?

Relativistic mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects at high speeds, close to the speed of light. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all inertial observers.

Why is it important to study relativistic mechanics?

Relativistic mechanics is important because it allows us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, such as particles in a particle accelerator or objects in space. It also helps us to understand the fundamental principles of the universe, as described by Einstein's theory of relativity.

What are some common difficulties when studying relativistic mechanics?

Some common difficulties when studying relativistic mechanics include understanding the concept of time dilation, mastering the use of Lorentz transformations, and comprehending the implications of the relativity of simultaneity.

What are some recommended textbooks for learning about relativistic mechanics?

Some recommended textbooks for learning about relativistic mechanics include "Introduction to Special Relativity" by Robert Resnick, "The Geometry of Spacetime" by James J. Callahan, and "Introduction to Relativity" by John B. Kogut.

How can I improve my understanding of relativistic mechanics?

One way to improve your understanding of relativistic mechanics is to practice solving problems and working through examples. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as online lectures or study guides, and to discuss concepts with peers or a tutor.