Struggling with Basic Integrals in Calculus?

In summary, the conversation is about someone struggling with calculus and needing help with understanding integrals. They ask for a link or thread that explains how to do simple integrals, and another person provides a helpful link for them to use.
Menziesii
I feel like I am hopeless when it comes to calculus! I am having a very hard time wrapping my head around it and it is affecting my physics mark right now because I need to be able to integrate things and I don't know where to start.

If someone could direct me to a link or another thread that explains integrals and how to do simple ones I would VERY much appreciate it. So far my searches on here haven't given me anything I can use.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Menziesii said:
I feel like I am hopeless when it comes to calculus! I am having a very hard time wrapping my head around it and it is affecting my physics mark right now because I need to be able to integrate things and I don't know where to start.

If someone could direct me to a link or another thread that explains integrals and how to do simple ones I would VERY much appreciate it. So far my searches on here haven't given me anything I can use.

Hi Menziesii! Welcome to PF! :smile:

hmm … I think it may be better if you show us some simple integrals you've had problems with, and what you tried, and then we can see where the difficulty is.

For example, can you do things like ∫cosx sin3x dx ? :smile:

That link is exactly what I wanted, thanks! Let's see if I can figure it out some then if I'm still having problems (which I expect I will be) I'll post some specific examples!

Related to Struggling with Basic Integrals in Calculus?

What is a integral in calculus?

An integral in calculus is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value or accumulation of a function over a certain interval.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral has no limits and gives a general solution with a constant of integration.

How do you solve integrals?

To solve an integral, you can use a variety of techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It is important to understand the fundamental rules and properties of integrals to solve them correctly.

Why is calculus important in integrals?

Calculus is important in integrals because it provides the necessary tools and methods for finding the solutions. It also helps us understand the relationship between the rate of change of a function and its total value over an interval.

Can integrals be used in real-life applications?

Yes, integrals have many real-life applications, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to calculate quantities such as distance, work, and profit, and to model real-world phenomena.