Struggling with a trig indefinite integration

In summary, to find the anti-derivative of sec 3x(sec(3x) + tan(3x)), we can use substitution and integration by parts to arrive at the solution of (1/3)tan(3x) + (1/3)sec(3x) + C.
iadg87
So here is the problem: Find the anti-derivative of sec 3x(sec(3x) + tan(3x))

Now I have tried foiling it out, and I am stuck at the part where I need to anti-derive Sec(3x)Tan(3x).

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the derivative of sec(x)?

iadg87 said:
So here is the problem: Find the anti-derivative of sec 3x(sec(3x) + tan(3x))

Now I have tried foiling it out, and I am stuck at the part where I need to anti-derive Sec(3x)Tan(3x).

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \sec{(3x)} \left[ \sec{(3x)} + \tan{(3x)} \right] \, \mathrm{d}x} &= \int{ \sec^2{(3x)} + \sec{(3x)}\tan{(3x)} \,\mathrm{d}x} \\ &= \frac{1}{3}\tan{(3x)} + \int{\sec{(3x)}\tan{(3x)}\,\mathrm{d}x } \\ &= \frac{1}{3}\tan{(3x)} + \int{ \frac{\sin{(3x)}}{\cos^2{(3x)}}\,\mathrm{d}x} \\ &= \frac{1}{3}\tan{(3x)} - \frac{1}{3} \int{ -3\sin{(3x)}\cos^{-2}{(3x)}\,\mathrm{d}x } \\ &= \frac{1}{3}\tan{(3x)} - \frac{1}{3} \int{ u^{-2}\,\mathrm{d}u} \textrm{ if we let } u = \cos{(3x)} \implies \mathrm{d}u = -3\sin{(3x)}\,\mathrm{d}x \\ &= \frac{1}{3}\tan{(3x)} - \frac{1}{3} \left( \frac{u^{-1}}{-1} \right) + C \\ &= \frac{1}{3}\tan{(3x)} + \frac{1}{3} \left[ \frac{1}{\cos{(3x)}} \right] + C \\ &= \frac{1}{3} \tan{(3x)} + \frac{1}{3}\sec{(3x)} + C \end{align*}$

Related to Struggling with a trig indefinite integration

1. What is indefinite integration?

Indefinite integration is a mathematical process used to find the antiderivative of a function. It is the reverse of differentiation, and involves finding a function whose derivative is equal to the given function.

2. Why is trigonometry difficult to integrate?

Trigonometric functions are difficult to integrate because they can be complex and involve multiple variables. Additionally, there are no general rules for integrating all types of trigonometric functions, so different techniques must be used for each one.

3. How can I improve my skills in integrating trigonometric functions?

Practice is key when it comes to improving your skills in integrating trigonometric functions. It is also helpful to review the basic trigonometric identities and familiarize yourself with the various integration techniques, such as substitution and integration by parts.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve trigonometric integrals?

While calculators can be helpful in checking your work, they should not be relied upon to solve trigonometric integrals. These problems require a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques, and using a calculator can hinder the development of these skills.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when integrating trigonometric functions?

One common mistake is forgetting to use the correct trigonometric identities. It is also important to be careful with negative signs and make sure to fully simplify your answer. Additionally, be sure to check the bounds of integration and use the appropriate substitution if necessary.