Completing A Square and Trig Sub

• MHB
  • Thread starter Nick Cutaia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square Trig
In summary, Nick Cutaia has a problem with integrating $\int \sqrt{x^2 +4x +5} \,dx$. He suggests using a sinh substitution and using integration by parts.
Nick Cutaia
I have a problem with the integration of $\int \sqrt{x^2 +4x +5} \,dx$

I first started by completing the square ${x}^{2} +4x + 5 = {x}^{2} +4x +4 - 4 +5 $

After I completed the square the integral became $\int\sqrt{{x}^{2} +4x +4 - 4 +5}\, dx = \int\sqrt{{x+2}^{2}+1} \,dx$

Then I did a trig sub: $\tan\theta = x + 2 \qquad x = \tan\theta - 2 \qquad dx = \sec^2\theta \,d\theta$

Substituting we get: $\int\sqrt{\tan^2\theta+1} \,dx = \sec^3\theta \,d\theta$

And this is where I have been getting stuck. I have forgotten how to integrate $\sec^3\theta$

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Nick Cutaia! Welcome to MHB! (Wave)

Well, I don't remember a $\sec^3$ either...
Instead I suggest a $\sinh$ substitution.

I assumed an a*tan\theta would be the substitution for a \sqrt{x2 + a2} integral.

I'm not following how I would use a sinh substitution.

Hi Nick Cutaia,

To integrate $\sec^3x$, the trick is to use integration by parts, letting $u=\sec x$ and $dv=\sec^2x$, however, ILS's suggestion of a $\sinh x$ subustitution is most likely better.

The sinh substitution definitely leads to a "cleaner" re-substitution of variables.

After the sub you have

\(\displaystyle \int\cosh^2\theta\,\mathrm d\theta\)

Now use integration by parts with \(\displaystyle dv=\cosh\theta\,\mathrm d\theta\) and \(\displaystyle u=\cosh\theta\), and the identity \(\displaystyle \sinh^2\theta=\cosh^2\theta-1\).

Note that \(\displaystyle \dfrac{\mathrm d\cosh\theta}{\mathrm d\theta}=\sinh\theta\) and \(\displaystyle \dfrac{\mathrm d\sinh\theta}{\mathrm d\theta}=\cosh\theta\).

greg1313 said:
The sinh substitution definitely leads to a "cleaner" re-substitution of variables.

After the sub you have

\(\displaystyle \int\cosh^2\theta\,\mathrm d\theta\)

Now use integration by parts with \(\displaystyle dv=\cosh\theta\,\mathrm d\theta\) and \(\displaystyle u=\cosh\theta\), and the identity \(\displaystyle \sinh^2\theta=\cosh^2\theta-1\).

Note that \(\displaystyle \dfrac{\mathrm d\cosh\theta}{\mathrm d\theta}=\sinh\theta\) and \(\displaystyle \dfrac{\mathrm d\sinh\theta}{\mathrm d\theta}=\cosh\theta\).

Or even easier, make use of the double angle identities: $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \cosh{(2x)} \equiv 2\cosh^2{(x)} - 1 \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sinh{(2x)} \equiv 2\sinh{(x)}\cosh{(x)} \end{align*}$ :)

Nick Cutaia said:
I assumed an a*tan\theta would be the substitution for a \sqrt{x2 + a2} integral.

I'm not following how I would use a sinh substitution.

The way to substitute it is the same: $x+2=\sinh\theta$.
It works because we have $\cosh^2\theta-\sinh^2\theta=1$.

Similarly we should use the $\sin$ substitution when we have $\sqrt{1-x^2}$.

Related to Completing A Square and Trig Sub

1. What is the purpose of completing a square in algebra?

Completing the square is a technique used to rewrite a quadratic equation in a form that can be easily solved. It is helpful when solving for the roots of a quadratic equation or when graphing a quadratic function.

2. How do you complete the square in algebra?

To complete the square, follow these steps:1. Make sure the leading coefficient of the quadratic term is equal to 1.2. Group the x terms and the constant term together.3. Take half of the coefficient of the x term, square it, and add it to both sides of the equation.4. Factor the perfect square trinomial on the left side.5. Take the square root of both sides to solve for x.

3. What is the purpose of using a trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution is used to simplify integrals involving algebraic expressions with radicals. It is particularly useful when dealing with integrals that contain the square root of a quadratic expression or the product of two linear expressions.

4. How do you perform a trigonometric substitution?

To perform a trigonometric substitution, follow these steps:1. Identify which trigonometric substitution is needed based on the form of the integral.2. Substitute the appropriate trigonometric expression for the variable in the integral.3. Use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral.4. Solve the resulting integral using basic integration techniques.5. Substitute back in the original variable.

5. What are the most common trigonometric substitutions used in calculus?

The most common trigonometric substitutions used in calculus are:1. Substitution for √(a²-x²): x = a sinθ2. Substitution for √(a²+x²): x = a tanθ3. Substitution for √(x²-a²): x = a secθ4. Substitution for (a²-x²)^(3/2): x = a sinθ5. Substitution for (a²+x²)^(3/2): x = a tanθ6. Substitution for (x²-a²)^(3/2): x = a secθ