Struggling to understand how I get this answer

• Thread starter PizzaWizza
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the answer to the equation W = 220∫ V^-1 dV by using the basic rule for a negative power and the properties of logarithms. The final answer is 152.49 Rad and can be obtained by taking the difference of ln 0.2 and ln 0.1, which is equal to ln 2. This method is clarified through examples and explanations.
PizzaWizza
Struggling to understand how this answer works.
This is just a worked example from a university paper.

W = 220∫ V^-1 dV...between the limits of 0.1 & 0.2...(Answer is 152.49 Rad)

I understand that the basic rule for a negative power would give us ln x, but from here I would say that the answer would be the difference of ln 0.2 and ln 0.1?
I need to get ln(2) for the answer to be correct, just not sure how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Surely ln(0.2) - ln(0.1) = ln(0.2/0.1) = ln(2)

Likes PizzaWizza
Merlin3189 said:
Surely ln(0.2) - ln(0.1) = ln(0.2/0.1) = ln(2)
I was deducting ln 0.1 from ln 0.2, thanks

PizzaWizza said:
I was deducting ln 0.1 from ln 0.2, thanks
Same difference:

ln (0.2) = -1.6094
ln (0.1) = -2.3026

ln (0.2) - ln (0.1) = -1.6094 - (-2.3026) = 0.6931 = ln (2)

Likes PizzaWizza
SteamKing said:
Same difference:

ln (0.2) = -1.6094
ln (0.1) = -2.3026

ln (0.2) - ln (0.1) = -1.6094 - (-2.3026) = 0.6931 = ln (2)
Ah. I see. That makes it clearer. Thanks

Related to Struggling to understand how I get this answer

1. How do I approach a problem if I am struggling to understand how to get the answer?

First, try breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Look for any patterns or key information that can help guide your solution. If you are still having trouble, don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher or classmate.

2. What should I do if I have tried multiple methods and still cannot get the correct answer?

If you have exhausted all your options and are still struggling, take a step back and try to approach the problem from a different angle. Consider using visual aids, such as diagrams or graphs, to help you understand the problem better. You can also seek help from a tutor or online resources.

3. I am struggling to understand a concept related to the problem. How can I better grasp it?

If you are having trouble understanding a concept, try finding additional resources such as videos, articles, or textbooks that explain the concept in a different way. You can also try practicing similar problems to gain a better understanding of the concept in action.

4. I keep making mistakes when solving the problem. What can I do to improve my accuracy?

Practice, practice, practice! The more you practice, the more familiar you will become with the problem-solving process and the less likely you are to make mistakes. Additionally, double-check your work and make sure you are following all steps correctly.

5. How can I stay motivated when struggling to understand how to get the answer?

It can be frustrating when you are struggling to understand a problem, but remember that it is a learning process and it is okay to make mistakes. Stay positive and don't be afraid to take breaks when needed. You can also try explaining the problem to someone else, as this can help solidify your understanding.