Strong form of the Urysohn lemma

• Thread starter radou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary, we are trying to prove the existence of a continuous function h : X --> [0, 1] such that h(A) = 0, h(B) = 1 and h(X\(AUB))\in<0, 1> iff A and B are disjoint closed Gδ sets in X. We have attempted to prove one direction, but there are some issues with the proof, such as the continuity of h(x) and the assumption that the sets A and Bm are disjoint. Further discussion and exploration is needed to find a valid proof.
Yes, you are correct. The stronger version basically has thesame proof. There are just some minor tweaks...

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a thought, is the characteristic function for a subset B of a topological space X continuous on X?

No, not in general. We even have the following equivalence:

"the characteristic function of B is continuous if and only if B is open and closed"

So, we could formulate this theorem:

Let X be normal, with A Gδ and B clopen. Then there exists a function f : X --> [0, 1] such that f(A) = 0, f(B) = 1 and 0 < f(x) < 1, for x in X\(AUB).

The proof follows by the "strong" version of ex.4., and if we define k(x) to be the characteristic function of the set B, then h(x) = 1/2 f(x) + 1/2 k(x) is the function we're looking for.

Yes, this would be correct

radou said:
h(x) = 1/2 f(x) + 1/2 k(x) is the function we're looking for.

Now, in the general case (thus if B is not necessarily open), you could essentially do the same thing. Except that you can not choose k the characteristic function. But maybe you can also derive a k from the "strong" version of ex. 4...

I'm thinking about this problem again. No hints yet, but just out of curiosity, is there a "trick" involved in this one too?

Uh, depends on what you call a trick. I think there might be a small trick involved...

You will actually have to use the "strong" version of exercise 4 twice:
1) you find a function which is 0 precisely on A, and which is 1 on B.
2) you find a function which is 0 precisely on B, and which is 1 on A.

Now you have to combine these functions. That might involve a small trick, but I think you can find it on yourself...

I smell Theorem 18.2.(f) (page 108 in Munkres) could resolve this situation somehow..

Here, finally:

if we use the "stronger" form of ex. 4, we have function f and g satisfying:

f(A) = 0, f(B) = 1, g(A) = 1, g(B) = 0.

Then h(x) = f(x)/(1 + g(x)) is the desired function!

Ah yes, you are correct!