String theory - no-ghost state - virasoro constraints

In summary: L_0 \alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>=0## for any state |k>. This implies that ##L_0=0##. Now, using the definition of the zero mode operators, we can write ##L_0=\alpha_0^2+2\alpha_0.\alpha_0+1##. Substituting this in the above equation, we get ##\alpha_0^2+2\alpha_0.\alpha_0+1=0##.Finally, using the definition of the zero mode operators, we can write ##\alpha_0^2=\frac{1}{2\alpha'}p^2## and ##2\alpha_
binbagsss
1. Homework Statement

Question (with the following definitions here):

vira.png

- Consider ##L_0|x>=0## to show that ##m^2=\frac{1}{\alpha'}##
- Consider ##L_1|x>=0 ## to conclude that ## 1+A-2B=0##

- where ##d## is the dimension of the space ##d=\eta^{uv}\eta_{uv}##

For the L1 operator I am able to get the correct expression of ##1+A-2B=0##
I am struggling with L0

Any help much appreciated.2. Homework Equations

##\alpha^u_0={p^u}\sqrt{2 \alpha'}##

##\alpha_{n>0}## annihilate

##\alpha_{n<0}## create

## [\alpha_n^u, \alpha_m^v]=n\delta_{n+m}\eta^{uv}## (*)

where ##\eta^{uv}## is the Minkowski metric

##p^u|k>=k^u|k>##3. The Attempt at a Solution Here is my L0 attempt- Consider ##L_0 |x>=0## to show that ##m^{2}=1/\alpha'##

##L_0=(\alpha_0^2+2\sum\limits_{n=1}\alpha_{-n}\alpha_{n}-1)##

So first of all looking at the first term of ##|x>## I need to consider:

##L_0 \alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k> =(\alpha_0^2+2\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{1}-1)\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}##

Considering the four product operator and using the commutators in the same way as done for ##L_1## I get from this:

##L_0\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k> =(\alpha_0^2+4-1)\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>## (**)

Here's how I got it:(dropped indices in places, but just to give idea, ##\eta^{uv}## the minkowksi metric)
##2\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{1}\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1} |k>
= 2(\alpha_{-1}(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_1+\eta)\alpha_{-1})|k>
= 2(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}\alpha_1\alpha_{-1}+\eta\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1})|k>
= 2(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{1}+\eta)+\eta\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1})|k>
=2(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}(0+\eta|k>)+\eta\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>)
= 2(2\alpha_{-1}.\alpha_{-1})##

so from (**) I have:

##L_0\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k> =(\alpha_0^2+3)\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>=0##
##=(2\alpha'p^2+3)\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>=0##
##\implies 2\alpha'p^2+3=0##
## \implies 2(-m^2)\alpha'=-3##

So I get ## m^{2}=3/\alpha'## and not ##1/\alpha'## :(

Any help much appreciated ( I see the mass is independent of ##A## and ##B## so I thought I'd deal with the first term before confusing my self to see why these terms vanish)

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving the problem. I appreciate the effort you have put into it. However, I believe there may be a few errors in your calculations.

Firstly, in your first line, you have written ##L_0=\alpha_0^2+2\sum\limits_{n=1}\alpha_{-n}\alpha_{n}-1##. This is incorrect as the correct expression is ##L_0=\alpha_0^2+2\sum\limits_{n=1}\alpha_{-n}\alpha_{n}+1##. The reason for this is that the zero mode term ##\alpha_0^2## should have a positive sign and not a negative sign. Additionally, the constant term in the expression should be a positive one, as we will see in the next steps.

Next, you have used the commutation relation ##[\alpha_n^u, \alpha_m^v]=n\delta_{n+m}\eta^{uv}## to calculate ##L_0 \alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>##. However, this relation holds only for ##n, m \neq 0##. For the zero modes, the commutation relation is ##[\alpha_0^u, \alpha_0^v]=\eta^{uv}##. Using this, we can write ##L_0 \alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>=(\alpha_0^2+2\alpha_0.\alpha_0+1)\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>##.

Now, using the definition of the zero mode operators and the momentum operator, we can write ##p^u|k>=k^u|k> \implies \alpha_0^u|k>=k^u/\sqrt{2\alpha'}|k>##. Substituting this in the above expression, we get ##L_0 \alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>= (2\alpha'p^2+3)\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>##. Now, using the fact that ##\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>=0##, we get ##L_0 \alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>=0##.

Therefore, we have

Related to String theory - no-ghost state - virasoro constraints

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to unify all the fundamental forces and particles in the universe by describing them as tiny, vibrating strings rather than point-like particles.

2. What is the no-ghost state in string theory?

The no-ghost state is a state in string theory that has no negative norm or negative probability, meaning it is a physically acceptable state. This state is necessary for the consistency of string theory and its ability to describe physical phenomena.

3. What are the virasoro constraints in string theory?

The virasoro constraints are mathematical equations in string theory that arise from the requirement that the theory be invariant under reparametrizations of the string worldsheet. They play a crucial role in the quantization of string theory and determining the spectrum of string states.

4. How do the virasoro constraints relate to the no-ghost state?

The virasoro constraints and the no-ghost state are closely related in string theory. The no-ghost state is a solution to the virasoro constraints, and without the constraints, the no-ghost state would not exist. The constraints ensure the physical consistency of the theory, including the existence of the no-ghost state.

5. What is the significance of the no-ghost state and virasoro constraints in string theory?

The no-ghost state and virasoro constraints are fundamental components of string theory that allow it to accurately describe the physical world. The existence of the no-ghost state ensures that the theory is free from any negative probabilities or inconsistencies, while the virasoro constraints help to determine the spectrum of string states and the behavior of the theory at the quantum level.