Stress Tensor in Classical Field Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in classical field theory involving a Lagrangian density and an equation of motion for a scalar field. The problem then progresses to calculating and showing the conservation of the stress tensor, with a discussion on the use of the metric tensor and index manipulation. The final solution involves correcting mistakes in the calculation and showing the proportionality to the equation of motion.
Max Renn
Hi,

I have a problem in classical field theory.

I have a Lagrangian density [tex]\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}\partial_\lambda \phi \partial^\lambda \phi + \frac{1}{3}\sigma\phi^3 [/tex]. Upon solving the Euler-Lagrange equation for this density, I get an equation of motion for my scalar field [tex]\phi (x)[/tex], where [tex]x = x^\mu[/tex] is a space-time coordinate. I figured this is [tex]\Box \phi - \sigma \phi^2 = 0 [/tex]. Now, the problem begins.

I have to calculate the following stress tensor:

[tex]T^{\mu \nu} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)}\partial^\nu \phi - g^{\mu \nu}\mathcal{L} [/tex].

The metric tensor [tex]g^{\mu \nu}[/tex] is the "energy-momentum" type, [tex]\mathrm{diag}(1, -1, -1, -1)[/tex]. Then I have to find its 4-divergence [tex]\partial_\mu T^{\mu \nu}[/tex] and show that it's conserved when [tex]\phi(x)[/tex] obeys its equation of motion, i.e. that [tex]\partial_\mu T^{\mu \nu} = 0[/tex].

Now, if I didn't know any better, I'd say that

[tex]T^{\mu \nu} = \frac{1}{2}\partial^\mu \phi \partial^\nu \phi + \frac{1}{3} g^{\mu \nu} \sigma \phi^3[/tex].

I have some serious doubts, however. If this is correct, I have another problem in that I can't seem to find a zero 4-divergence.

I'm quite new to this sort of thing and I have a feeling it's just a lack of practice with tensors and indices.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a sign wrong and you didn't quite use that formula correctly: [tex]
T^{\mu \nu} =\partial^\mu \phi \partial^\nu \phi - g^{\mu \nu}\left( \frac{1}{2}\partial^\lambda \phi \partial_\lambda \phi +\frac{1}{3} \sigma \phi^3\right)
[/tex]

Oh! Is that the final form of the stress tensor? I wanted to clear up some things with the metric tensor, using some dubious manipulation of indices. That's ok (although the sign mistake is embarrassing). Thank you. This is my solution:

[tex]\partial_\mu T^{\mu \nu} = \partial_\mu ( \partial^\mu \phi \partial^\nu \phi ) - \partial_\mu g^{\mu \nu}\left( \frac{1}{2}\partial_\lambda \phi \partial^\lambda \phi +\frac{1}{3} \sigma \phi^3\right)[/tex]

[tex]= (\partial_\mu \partial^\mu \phi) \partial^\nu \phi + (\partial_\mu \partial^\nu \phi) \partial^\mu \phi - g^{\mu \nu} \left[ \frac{1}{2} (\partial_\mu \partial_\lambda \phi) \partial^\lambda \phi + \frac{1}{2} \partial_\lambda \phi (\partial_\mu \partial^\lambda \phi) + \frac{1}{3} \sigma \partial_\mu (\phi^3) \right]. [/tex]

Since [tex]\Box \phi - \sigma \phi^2 = 0[/tex],

[tex]\partial_\mu T^{\mu \nu} = 2 \sigma \phi^2 \partial^\mu \phi - g^{\mu \nu} \left[ \frac{1}{2} \sigma \phi^2 \delta_{\mu \lambda} \partial^\lambda \phi + \frac{1}{2} \sigma \phi^2 \delta^\lambda_\mu \partial_\lambda \phi + \frac{1}{3} \sigma \partial_\mu (\phi^3) \right][/tex]

[tex]= 2 \sigma \phi^2 \partial^\mu \phi - g^{\mu \nu} \left[ \sigma \phi^2 \partial_\mu \phi + \frac{1}{3} \sigma \partial_\mu (\phi^3) \right][/tex]

[tex] = 2 \sigma \phi^2 \partial^\mu \phi - \sigma \phi^2 \partial^\nu \phi - \frac{1}{3} \sigma \partial^\nu (\phi^3)[/tex]

[tex]= 2 \sigma \phi^2 \partial^\mu \phi - 2 \sigma \phi^2 \partial^\nu \phi [/tex]

[tex]=0[/tex]

I have a couple of questions, though. Specifically, I'm uneasy about the step where I say [tex]\sigma \phi^2 (\partial^\mu \phi + \partial^\nu \phi) = 2 \sigma \phi^2 \partial^\mu \phi[/tex], where [tex]\partial^\nu (\phi (x^\mu)^3 = 3 \partial^\nu \phi[/tex] and, on the last line, where [tex]\nu[/tex] goes to [tex] \mu[/tex] or vice versa to give zero.

Last edited:
Max Renn said:
Oh! Is that the final form of the stress tensor? I wanted to clear up some things with the metric tensor, using some dubious manipulation of indices. That's ok (although the sign mistake is embarrassing). Thank you. This is my solution:

[tex]\partial_\mu T^{\mu \nu} = \partial_\mu ( \partial^\mu \phi \partial^\nu \phi ) - \partial_\mu g^{\mu \nu}\left( \frac{1}{2}\partial_\lambda \phi \partial^\lambda \phi +\frac{1}{3} \sigma \phi^3\right)[/tex]

[tex]= (\partial_\mu \partial^\mu \phi) \partial^\nu \phi + (\partial_\mu \partial^\nu \phi) \partial^\mu \phi - g^{\mu \nu} \left[ \frac{1}{2} (\partial_\mu \partial_\lambda \phi) \partial^\lambda \phi + \frac{1}{2} \partial_\lambda \phi (\partial_\mu \partial^\lambda \phi) + \frac{1}{3} \sigma \partial_\mu (\phi^3) \right]. ~~(*) [/tex]

Since [tex]\Box \phi - \sigma \phi^2 = 0[/tex],

[tex]\partial_\mu T^{\mu \nu} = 2 \sigma \phi^2 \partial^\mu \phi - g^{\mu \nu} \left[ \frac{1}{2} \sigma \phi^2 \delta_{\mu \lambda} \partial^\lambda \phi + \frac{1}{2} \sigma \phi^2 \delta^\lambda_\mu \partial_\lambda \phi + \frac{1}{3} \sigma \partial_\mu (\phi^3) \right][/tex]

You've got several mistakes here. The free index is [tex]\nu[/tex], so you should use the metric to raise the index in the second part of (*):

[tex] (\partial_\mu \partial^\mu \phi) \partial^\nu \phi + (\partial_\mu \partial^\nu \phi) \partial^\mu \phi - \left[ \frac{1}{2} (\partial^\nu \partial_\lambda \phi) \partial^\lambda \phi + \frac{1}{2} \partial_\lambda \phi (\partial^\nu \partial^\lambda \phi) + \frac{1}{3} \sigma \partial^\nu (\phi^3) \right]. ~~(**)[/tex]

You also seemed to try to claim that [tex]\partial_\mu \partial_\lambda \phi=\delta_{\mu\lambda} \phi[/tex], which is completely unjustified.

Instead, you should note that the 2nd, 3rd and 4th terms of (**) are all of the same type, and adding up their coefficients gives zero. Then you want to show that the sum of the 1st and 5th terms is proportional to the equation of motion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your question regarding the stress tensor in classical field theory. I understand your confusion and would be happy to provide some clarification.

First, let me assure you that your expression for the stress tensor T^{\mu \nu} is correct. The form you have written is known as the canonical stress tensor and is commonly used in classical field theory.

To show that the 4-divergence of the stress tensor is zero, we can use the equation of motion for \phi (x) that you have derived, \Box \phi - \sigma \phi^2 = 0. By substituting this into the expression for \partial_\mu T^{\mu \nu}, we can see that all terms containing \Box \phi will cancel out, leaving us with \partial_\mu T^{\mu \nu} = -\sigma \partial^\nu \phi^3. However, since \phi^3 is a scalar field, its 4-divergence is zero, and therefore \partial_\mu T^{\mu \nu} = 0.

I hope this helps to clear up any doubts you may have had. Keep up the good work in your studies of classical field theory!

Related to Stress Tensor in Classical Field Theory

1. What is a stress tensor in classical field theory?

A stress tensor is a mathematical object that describes the distribution of forces within a physical system. In classical field theory, it is used to describe the stress and strain within a continuous medium, such as a fluid or solid.

2. How is the stress tensor calculated in classical field theory?

The stress tensor is calculated by taking the derivative of the energy density with respect to the components of the displacement field. This can be done using a variety of mathematical methods, such as the Euler-Lagrange equations or the Navier-Stokes equations.

3. What are the components of the stress tensor in classical field theory?

The stress tensor has nine components, which can be organized into a 3x3 matrix. The diagonal components represent the normal stresses, while the off-diagonal components represent the shear stresses. These components describe how the forces are distributed in different directions within the system.

4. How is the stress tensor used in classical field theory?

The stress tensor is used to determine the equations of motion for a system, by relating the stress and strain within the system to the external forces acting on it. It is also used to calculate physical quantities such as pressure, viscosity, and elasticity.

5. What are some real-world applications of the stress tensor in classical field theory?

The stress tensor is used in a wide range of fields, including fluid mechanics, solid mechanics, and electromagnetism. It is essential for understanding the behavior of materials under stress, designing structures and machines, and predicting the behavior of fluids in various situations.