Stress in a tube due to external radial temperature gradiant

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Roark's formula for calculating stresses on a pipe with an instantaneous temperature variation on the outer surface. The question is whether the same formula can be applied with a temperature variation on the outer surface instead of the inner surface. It is concluded that the formula can still be used, but the results may have different signs. Additionally, it is noted that the temperature distribution in the shell is a function of both time and position, and that the thermal expansion term should be included in the stress equilibrium equation.
LACAZE
Hi everyone,
To begin, sorry for my english...:S

I try to calcualte inner/outer surface stresses on a pipe submitted to instanatenous temperature variation on the OUTER SURFACE.

I know the Roark's formua giving the stresses but with an instantaneous temperature variation on the INNER SURFACE.
upload_2017-2-23_15-7-12.png

My question is: can i apply theses formulas to my case (but with a Delta T on the outer surface, not on the inner surface)?

For me, the Roark formulas is the combination result of the temperature formula on the thickness with the Hook formulas.
Temperature/thickness formula:
upload_2017-2-23_15-5-58.png
=>
upload_2017-2-23_15-6-15.png

Hook formula:
upload_2017-2-23_15-6-47.png
So, to my mind, i can apply it to my case, it is just the results sign which change (tension stresses in outer surface area and compression stresses in inner surface area for a outer negative tempeature variation).

Thanks a lot.

Bruno.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The temperature distribution in the shell is going to be a function of both time and position, not just position. For any given time you can solve for the temperature distribution within the shell by solving the transient heat conduction equation. Once you know that, you can solve the stress equilibrium equation for the stresses within the shell. You need to include the thermal expansion term in the stress equilibrium equation. The stresses will be changing as a function of time.

Related to Stress in a tube due to external radial temperature gradiant

What is "Stress in a tube due to external radial temperature gradiant"?

"Stress in a tube due to external radial temperature gradiant" refers to the physical phenomenon that occurs when there is a temperature difference between the inside and outside of a cylindrical tube, resulting in stress and strain on the material of the tube.

What causes stress in a tube due to external radial temperature gradiant?

The stress in a tube is caused by the difference in temperature between the inside and outside of the tube. This temperature difference creates a thermal gradient, which leads to thermal expansion or contraction of the material, resulting in stress and strain on the tube.

How does stress in a tube due to external radial temperature gradiant affect the material?

The stress and strain caused by the temperature gradient can have a significant impact on the material of the tube. It can lead to deformation, cracking, and even failure of the tube if the stress exceeds the material's strength. It can also affect the material's mechanical properties, such as stiffness and elasticity.

Can stress in a tube due to external radial temperature gradiant be prevented?

While it may not be possible to completely prevent stress in a tube due to external radial temperature gradiant, there are ways to minimize its effects. Using materials with low thermal expansion coefficients, applying insulation, and controlling the temperature difference can all help reduce the stress and strain on the tube.

Are there any applications of stress in a tube due to external radial temperature gradiant?

Yes, this phenomenon has various applications in industry, such as in the design of heat exchangers, pipes, and other cylindrical structures that are exposed to temperature gradients. Understanding and managing stress in a tube can help improve the durability and efficiency of these structures.