Strange Trig Function solutions

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find all max and min values and concavity for v(x)=-cos(x)-Lx+1,0<L<1. The first solution is x=arcsin(L)+2pi, the second solution is x=arcsin(L) -2arcsin(L)+2pi, and the third solution is x=2n+1\pi-arcsin(L). If you don't understand, substitution of values for L into the solutions can give a clearer picture.
WolfOfTheSteps

Homework Statement

This is part of a problem for a nonlinear diff class... But it's the basic stuff that's tripping me up.

Find all the max/min and concavity for

[tex]v(x) = -cos(x)-Lx+1,\ \ \ 0<L<1 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I do:

[tex] v'(x) = sin(x)-L [/tex]
[tex]v''(x)=cos(x)[/tex]

Set the first derivative to 0:

[tex]sin(x)-L=0 \Rightarrow x = arcsin(L)[/tex]

Here's where I'm confused. I say

[tex]x = arcsin(L) + 2\pi n, \ \ \ \mbox{where }n \mbox{ is any integer}[/tex]

But Maple says:

[tex]x = arcsin(L)+2\pi n, \ \ \ \mbox{where }n \mbox{ is any integer, OR:}[/tex]
[tex]x = arcsin(L) - 2arcsin(L)+2\pi n+\pi \ \ \ \mbox{where }n \mbox{ is any integer}[/tex]

Where does the -2arcsin(L) and the +pi come from?

I really want to understand this once and for all... I never took a trig class, and while I get by fine 99% of the time, I hit a brick wall when I come across this kind of stuff.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I almost understand it... The second set of values of x are the ones where the arcsin is in the II quadrant. Correct?

And obviously it makes more sense to write:

[tex] x = \pi - arcsin(L) + 2\pi n[/tex]

for the 2nd set of x values.

Yeah, I think I get it now. I was just looking at the graph of arcsine, and it doesn't seem to make sense from that.

Is there a way to see that those are the solutions by looking at the arcsine graph?

Thanks.

I hope you understand the first solution.
The second part of the solution is better understood if you manipulate the terms a bit , it can be written as [itex]x = (2n+1)\pi-arcsin(L)[/itex].
Noting that [itex]sin(n\pi-x)=sin(x) [/itex] for all odd n, you can now see how this is also part of the solution.

If you still don't follow, perhaps substitution of values for L into the solutions can give a clearer picture.
For the graphical picture, you should use the sin(x) graph. Fix some L value, find arcsin(L), and see what other values of x, do you get sin(x)=L, that's all.

Last edited:

Related to Strange Trig Function solutions

1. What are "Strange Trig Function solutions"?

"Strange Trig Function solutions" are solutions to trigonometric equations that are not commonly seen or expected. These solutions can involve complex numbers, infinite values, or unusual patterns.

2. How do you solve for "Strange Trig Function solutions"?

Solving for "Strange Trig Function solutions" requires a thorough understanding of trigonometric identities and properties. It also involves using complex numbers and understanding how they interact with trigonometric functions.

3. Are "Strange Trig Function solutions" useful in real-world applications?

While "Strange Trig Function solutions" may not have direct applications in everyday life, they are important in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. They help us understand the behavior of complex systems and phenomena.

4. What are some common types of "Strange Trig Function solutions"?

Some common types of "Strange Trig Function solutions" include asymptotes, discontinuities, and infinite solutions. These can occur when the inputs to trigonometric functions create unusual patterns or values.

5. Can "Strange Trig Function solutions" be graphed?

Yes, "Strange Trig Function solutions" can be graphed using graphing calculators or computer software. However, they may not always be easy to interpret visually due to their complex nature.