Strain gauges - converting to parrallel binary word

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of converting the output of a strain gauge into an equivalent parallel binary word. The process involves converting ohms to volts, using an ADC analogue to digital converter, and potentially using filtering before the ADC. More details about the process can be found on wikipedia.org.
Bazconway

Homework Statement

I want to convert the output of a strain gauge into an equivalent parellel binary word

Homework Equations

i need to list the process blocks in correct sequence and starting at the strain gauge

The Attempt at a Solution

Strain gauge- convert ohms to volts- adc analogue to digital convertor-

No t sure have i gone wrong or what to do next

Physics news on Phys.org
Bazconway said:

Homework Statement

I want to convert the output of a strain gauge into an equivalent parellel binary word

Homework Equations

i need to list the process blocks in correct sequence and starting at the strain gauge

The Attempt at a Solution

Strain gauge- convert ohms to volts- adc analogue to digital convertor-

No t sure have i gone wrong or what to do next

That's pretty much it. You could fill in more details about how your make an accurate voltage from the strain gauge device, and what kind of filtering you should use before the ADC, and more details about the ADC circuit itself. You can use wikipedia.org to learn more about those kinds of devices and systems.

Related to Strain gauges - converting to parrallel binary word

What is a strain gauge?

A strain gauge is a type of sensor that measures the strain or deformation of an object by converting it into an electrical signal. It consists of a thin wire or foil attached to a backing material, which changes its electrical resistance when it is stretched or compressed.

How does a strain gauge work?

When a strain gauge is attached to an object, any change in the object's shape or size will cause a corresponding change in the gauge's resistance. This change in resistance is measured and converted into an electrical signal, which can then be interpreted and used for various applications such as stress analysis, load measurement, and material testing.

What is "converting to parallel binary word" in strain gauges?

Converting to parallel binary word refers to the process of converting the electrical signal from a strain gauge into a digital output in the form of a parallel binary code. This allows for easier processing and analysis of the data collected from the strain gauge.

Why is converting to parallel binary word important in strain gauges?

Converting to parallel binary word is important because it allows for a more precise and accurate measurement of strain in an object. It also makes it easier to store and analyze the data collected from the strain gauge, as digital outputs can be easily processed and manipulated using computers.

What are the benefits of using strain gauges for measurement?

Strain gauges offer numerous benefits for measurement, including high accuracy, sensitivity, and reliability. They are also non-intrusive, meaning they do not affect the object being measured. Additionally, they can be used in various applications and environments, making them a versatile tool for scientists and engineers.