Straightforward Binomial Coefficient Proof

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that 3 divides (3n n) or "3n choose n" using the definition of a binomial coefficient. The attempt at a solution involves simplifying the equation and showing that 2n! is an integer. Another approach using induction on n is also mentioned.
DonOMazzetti

Homework Statement

Let n be an element of the positive numbers (Z+). Prove that 3 divides (3n n) or "3n choose n". Use the definition of a binomial coefficient to solve.

Homework Equations

Definition of a Binomial Coefficient: (n k) := ( n! / k!(n - k)! )

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done the basics. I've replaced n and k with 3n and n, making the equation: (3n n) = ( 3n! / n!(3n - n)! ), then simplifying to ( 3n! / n!(2n)! ), which equals just ( 3 / 2n! ).

If it is divisible by 3, I suppose this can be expressed as: (( 3 / 2n! )) / 3 = k, and therefore, ( 3 / 2n! ) = 3k . It seems like the real proof here is in showing that 2n! is an integer.

How do I go forward?

Physics news on Phys.org
DonOMazzetti said:

Homework Statement

Let n be an element of the positive numbers (Z+). Prove that 3 divides (3n n) or "3n choose n". Use the definition of a binomial coefficient to solve.

Homework Equations

Definition of a Binomial Coefficient: (n k) := ( n! / k!(n - k)! )

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done the basics. I've replaced n and k with 3n and n, making the equation: (3n n) = ( 3n! / n!(3n - n)! ), then simplifying to ( 3n! / n!(2n)! ), which equals just ( 3 / 2n! ).

If it is divisible by 3, I suppose this can be expressed as: (( 3 / 2n! )) / 3 = k, and therefore, ( 3 / 2n! ) = 3k . It seems like the real proof here is in showing that 2n! is an integer.

How do I go forward?

See what happens when you are not careful to use brackets? You obtain the nonsensical "result" [tex] C(3n,n) = \frac{3}{2n!},[/tex]
which is just about as wrong as it can be. You need to write
[tex] C(3n,n) = \frac{(3n)!}{n! (2n)!} = \frac{3n (3n-1) \cdots (2n+1)}{n!}. [/tex]
So, you need to show that
[tex]N = \frac{n (3n-1) \cdots (2n+1)}{n!} [/tex]
is an integer.

Alternatively, you can use induction on n.

RGV

Last edited:
Thanks, Ray.

I've been trying to prove what you stated in N, and I realize that a factorial is a set of integers which are multiplied together and whose result is an integer. Because dividing an integer by another integer doesn't necessary yield an integer, my approach to this is removing the denominator. I can't seem to do this, however.

I'm stuck at N = ( n (3n-1) (3n-2) ... (2n+2) (2n+1) ) / n!

How do I get rid of the n! ? Any help is appreciated.

Related to Straightforward Binomial Coefficient Proof

1. What is a binomial coefficient?

A binomial coefficient is a mathematical term that represents the number of ways to choose a subset of k objects from a set of n objects, without regard to order.

2. What does a straightforward binomial coefficient proof involve?

A straightforward binomial coefficient proof involves using algebraic manipulation and the properties of binomial coefficients to show that a given equation is true for all values of n and k.

3. Why is it important to prove binomial coefficients?

Proving binomial coefficients is important because it allows us to understand and apply the properties of binomial coefficients in various fields, such as combinatorics, probability, and statistics.

4. Can you give an example of a straightforward binomial coefficient proof?

Sure, one example is proving the binomial theorem, which states that for any real numbers a and b and non-negative integer n, (a + b)^n = ∑(k=0 to n) (n choose k) * a^(n-k) * b^k. This can be proven using the properties of binomial coefficients.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to using a straightforward binomial coefficient proof?

One challenge is that some proofs may require advanced mathematical knowledge and techniques, making them difficult for beginners to understand. Additionally, there may be certain equations or scenarios where a straightforward proof is not sufficient and more complex techniques are needed.