Stopping Rotation of Space Capsule: How Long Do the Jets Need to Run?

In summary: One ejects 13.7 grams/second of gas with a nozzle speed of 712 meters per second. The other ejects .0137 kilograms/second of gas with a nozzle speed of 3.11 meters per second. The time needed to stop the rotation is 454 seconds.
Vanessa23

Homework Statement

A space capsule was left rotating rapidly about its axis at N = 34.0 rev/min after a collision with another capsule.

You are the flight controller and have just moments to tell the crew how to stop this rotation before they become ill from the rotation and the situation becomes dangerous. You know that they have access to two small jets mounted tangentially at a distance R = 3.11 m from the axis, as indicated in the figure. These jets can each eject 13.7 g/s of gas with a nozzle speed of v = 712 m/s. Determine the length of time these jets must run to stop the rotation? In flight, the moment of inertia of the ship about its axis (assumed constant) is known to be 3872 kg·m2.

Homework Equations

rotational momentum of station = angular momentum of the jets
--> rotational momentum of station = (moment of intertia)*(angular velocity)
--> angular momentum of jets = (mass)(speed)(radius)

The Attempt at a Solution

--> therefore (momentum of inertia)*(angular velocity) = (mass)*(speed of gas ejected)*(distance from axis)

--> mass divided by the grams/second of gas = seconds needed
--> then divide that answer by 2 because there are 2 jets

(3872*3.56rad/s)/(.0137*3.11)= 3.24x10^5 kg
3.24x10^5 /.0137= 2.36x10^7 sec
divided by 2 jets= 1.18x10^7 seconds

I used N for the angular velocity because I couldn't figure out a way to get it from the velocity given since I didn't know the mass yet. Maybe that is why I can't get it right? Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are descriptions of variables and equations for rotational motion, and their corresponding linear motion ones.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html

Knowing "13.7 g/s of gas with a nozzle speed of v = 712 m/s" gives a force and applied at R gives a torque.

Having I and [itex]\omega_0[/itex], one wants to know the deceleration and use the appropriate equation of motion to determine the time required to stop the rotation.

Vanessa23 said:
(3872*3.56rad/s)/(.0137*3.11)= 3.24x10^5 kg

The quantity on the right-hand side does not have units of mass. When you get a goofy answer it often helps to write down all of the units. In this case,

3872 kg-m2*3.56 r/s / (0.137 kg/s * 3.11 m) = 3.24x105 meters, not kilograms.

Okay, I'm confused here.
Torque=ma*l=I(alpha)
So... Torque=(0.0137 kg/s)(712 m/s)(3.11 m)=30.34 Nm
(alpha) = Torque/I = 30.34N*m / 3872 kg*m^2 = 0.00783 rad/s^2 is the angular acceleration

so (omega)=(intial omega)-(alpha)T
because it reaches a stop, (omega)=0, and initial omega is 3.56 rad/s.
so (-3.56 rad/s) / (-0.00783 rad/s^2) = 454 s

Where did I go wrong?

There are two jets.

Related to Stopping Rotation of Space Capsule: How Long Do the Jets Need to Run?

1. What caused the space station to become out of control?

The most likely cause of an out of control space station is a malfunction in the control systems or propulsion systems. This could be due to a technical issue, human error, or external factors such as a collision with space debris or severe weather conditions.

2. How do scientists plan to regain control of the space station?

Scientists and engineers will first try to diagnose the specific cause of the malfunction and then develop a plan to address it. This may involve sending up a repair mission or using remote control methods to fix the issue. In some cases, the space station may need to be abandoned if it cannot be safely brought back under control.

3. What are the potential dangers of an out of control space station?

An out of control space station can pose a threat to both the astronauts on board and to other spacecraft or satellites in orbit. It can also lead to the loss of valuable scientific equipment and data. In extreme cases, an out of control space station may reenter Earth's atmosphere and cause damage or injury on the ground.

4. Has this happened before and how was it resolved?

There have been several incidents in the past where space stations have experienced malfunctions or unexpected movements. In most cases, scientists and engineers were able to regain control and safely bring the space station back to its intended orbit. However, there have been a few instances where a space station had to be abandoned due to irreparable damage or loss of control.

5. What measures are being taken to prevent future out of control space stations?

Scientists and engineers are constantly working to improve the safety and reliability of space station systems. This includes rigorous testing before launch, regular maintenance and repairs, and implementing redundant systems to prevent single points of failure. Additionally, there are protocols in place for monitoring and responding to potential malfunctions in real-time to prevent the space station from becoming out of control.