How Long to Change an Asteroid’s Rotation Axis with a Tug Spacecraft?

In summary, a tug spaceship attaches itself to a spherical asteroid with radius r = 123 m and mass M = 2.10×1010 kg, which is rotating at a rate of four revolutions per day. The tug fires its engine with a force of F = 265 N tangentially to the asteroid's surface in order to rotate the asteroid's axis of rotation through an angle of 13.0 ∘. In order to solve this problem, one must consider the relation between torque and rate of change of angular momentum, taking into account the directions of both torque and angular momentum. It may also be helpful to review the concept of precession of a gyroscope. The correct answer is t=71.5 hrs.
deuce123

Homework Statement

A spherical asteroid with radius r = 123 m and mass M = 2.10×1010 kg rotates about an axis at four revolutions per day. A "tug" spaceship attaches itself to a vehicle which follows the asteroid's south pole (as defined by the axis of rotation) and fires its engine, applying a force tangentially to the asteroid's surface keeping the direction of the force in the same plane. The initial situation is shown in the figure. (Figure 1) .

If F = 265 N, how long will it take the tug to rotate the asteroid's axis of rotation through an angle of 13.0 ∘ by this method?

Homework Equations

GIANCOLI.ch11.p68.jpg

torque= Iα

The Attempt at a Solution

I went about this problem in a wrong way at first,i found torque and the angular acceleration , then used rotational kinematics to find t. But this way to the approach was wrong, since i did not realize the rotation of the asteroid was not in coalition with the force. Then i realized that for it too move 13degrees the only real thing that would slow is the moment of inertia of the asteroid. Also initially for this case the angular velocity would be 0. This also led to a wrong answer. I am completely stumped of how to go about this.

I looked up the answer and its t=71.5 hrs. Someone please help me with how to approach to actually get that answer. thank you,

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the relation between torque and rate of change of angular momentum. Keep in mind that both torque and angular momentum are vectors, so you'll need to consider their directions as well as magnitudes.

It might also help to review the concept of precession of a gyroscope.

Related to How Long to Change an Asteroid’s Rotation Axis with a Tug Spacecraft?

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of rotational motion an object has. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotating) by the angular velocity (the rate at which the object is rotating) of the object.

3. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is a vector quantity and is calculated by multiplying the applied force by the distance from the axis of rotation.

4. How is torque related to angular momentum?

Torque is directly related to angular momentum. The more torque that is applied to an object, the more the object's angular momentum will change. This is known as the principle of conservation of angular momentum.

5. What are some real-world applications of angular momentum and torque?

Angular momentum and torque have many practical applications in everyday life. They are important in understanding the motion of rotating objects like wheels, tops, and gyroscopes. They are also crucial in engineering and design, such as in the construction of engines and turbines.