Stopping a Muon: Solving the Equations

• Thread starter lauriecherie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Muon
In summary, the muon travels a distance of -.0801818182 meters after entering the region with a speed of 4.20 106 meters per second.
lauriecherie

Homework Statement

A muon (an elementary particle) enters a region with a speed of 4.20 106 m/s and then is slowed at the rate of 1.10 1014 m/s2.
(a) How far does the muon take to stop?
________ m

Homework Equations

x(t)= initial position + final velocity * time

v(t)= (acceleration * time) + initial velocity

x(t)= .5 * (acceleration * (time^2)) + (initial velocity * time) + inital position

x= initial position * (average velocity * time)

average velocity= (final velocity - initial velocity) / (2)

(final velocity^2) - (initial velocity^2) = 2 * acceleration * change in position

The Attempt at a Solution

I came out with this as my seconds, t, .00000003818181818. Is this correct for the t value and where should I put this in at?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your time looks to be about correct. You can substitute it into your equation number three.

Alternatively, you can solve this one without time with another one of the equations you mentioned =)

Some of the equations you typed are wrong. Acceleration and initial velocity are given. What is the final velocity of the particle (hint: read the problem)? Which kinematical equation should be used to calculate the distance traveled when acceleration and the velocities are known?

By using the last equation I listed, I came out with -1.90909091 x 10^-8. This doesn't seem correct? Is this value correct and should it be a positive number?

Umm, no that is not correct. Perhaps you substituted something in wrong?

As far as signs are concerned remember acceleration opposes the velocity, so its sign is negative.

Hummm... this is what I did:

0^2 - (4.20 x 10^6)^2 = 2 * (-1.1 x 10^14)* change in X

{4200000/((-1.4 x 10^14) * 2)}

Change in X = -1.90909091 x 10^ -8.

Maybe I entered it into my calculator incorrectly?

Looks like you forgot to square the initial velocity. You have the ^2 written in your first step, but you drop it in the 2nd. Also, you dropped the - sign from steps 1 to 2.

Looks like those are your problems,
Cheers!

Let's try this again...

-.0801818182?

Again, you forgot the sign, but yes.

+.0801818182 m Thanks so much for your help!

Related to Stopping a Muon: Solving the Equations

1. How do you stop a muon?

Muons can be stopped through a process called ionization. This involves colliding the muon with atoms in a material, which causes it to lose energy and eventually come to a stop.

2. What equations are involved in stopping a muon?

The equations involved in stopping a muon depend on various factors such as the muon's initial energy, the type of material it is interacting with, and the distance it travels. Some key equations include the Bethe-Bloch equation, which describes the rate of energy loss due to ionization, and the Bragg-Kleeman rule, which predicts the depth at which a muon will stop in a material.

3. How does the stopping of a muon impact its decay?

When a muon is stopped, it can no longer travel at high speeds and its decay rate decreases. This is because the decay process for muons is affected by their velocity and energy. As a muon slows down, its decay rate also decreases.

4. Can muons be stopped completely?

It is not possible to stop a muon completely. Due to their high energy and small mass, muons can penetrate through even thick layers of material. However, by using dense materials and/or creating a thick barrier, the majority of muons can be stopped.

5. How is the stopping of muons used in scientific research?

The process of stopping muons is crucial in various areas of scientific research such as particle physics and nuclear physics. By studying the properties and interactions of muons, scientists can gain a better understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. Additionally, muons are also used in medical imaging techniques such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans.