Stolen radioactive material found.

In summary, the cobalt-60 was found, removed from its casing, in a rural area near the town of Hueypoxtla, about 25 miles from where the truck was stolen. Jimenez said he suspected that curiosity got the better of the thieves, and they opened the box. So far the carjackers have not been arrested, but authorities expect they will not live long.
nsaspook
Science Advisor
These guys made a stupid and 'fatal' mistake.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...2ef990-5d66-11e3-8d24-31c016b976b2_story.html

The cobalt-60 was found, removed from its casing, in a rural area near the town of Hueypoxtla, about 25 miles from where the truck was stolen. Jimenez said he suspected that curiosity got the better of the thieves, and they opened the box. So far the carjackers have not been arrested, but authorities expect they will not live long.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow. I almost feel sorry for these guys. Instant Karma's going to get you...

Darwin awards all around.

I seem to remember similar situation. Somewhere in the early eighties (or at least I think it was about that time) some guy in Poland have stolen some radioactive source and went home using a public transport (and these were crowded up at the time), with the source in his pocket.

It made me think of this:

Last edited by a moderator:
I read this morning that the amount of cobalt-60 was about 1.5 oz (about 40g). I figure its activity is about 40000 curies. Compare that to the tiny encapsulated cobalt-60 sources that are typically used in an undergraduate modern physics lab, which are 1 to 5 microcuries (and don't involve any major safety precautions).

Looks like they are being treated.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/police-block-mexico-hospital-6-may-have-radiation

PACHUCA, Mexico (AP) — Federal police blocked access Friday to a central Mexico hospital where six people were reported to have been admitted with radiation exposure.

An official familiar with the case confirmed Mexican media reports that the six have been admitted to the general hospital in the city of Pachuca and may have been exposed to a stolen source of cobalt-60.
Talk about karma
http://binaryapi.ap.org/011863a3625f496f8f4f7654d04f2810/460x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
edward said:
The scrap ended up in iron re-bar. No one knew about it until 1984 when a load of re-bar was stopped at los Alamos because it set off radiation detectors.
Off topic, but I was once prohibited from re-entering a lab until the next day after setting off radiation detectors from having Technetium-99m in my blood.

Sounds like the current suspects have only minor discomfort and no sign of radiation poisoning. Where is everyone getting this fatal prognosis from?

dipole said:
Sounds like the current suspects have only minor discomfort and no sign of radiation poisoning. Where is everyone getting this fatal prognosis from?
Sensationalism. No one could possibly know how big of a dose they got.

I figured it was meant to scare them.

From what I understood, the thieves removed the Co-60 from the shielding. In other sources, it is stated that some near-by residents pulled the equipment (still containing the source?) to their homes nearby by car and also got some radiation.
I fear to get an accurate description, we have to await the IAEA report.
At least nothing as tragic as Goiania:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goiânia_accident

So a mason carried the source to his home on his shoulders and has now radiation burnings and sickness.
He only attended a physician some days after and was the first time being sent home as he didn't mention having manipulated a radioactive source (which he probably didn't know himself).
As he apparently has carried a source of several thousand Ci for several kilometers on his shoulders I have strong doubts that he will survive.

Another family pulled the heavy shielding home by car.

So probably the robbers did remove the source from the shielding but then were clever enough to leave it back.

So does anyone know if they actually caught the robbers?

Also it really upsets me that these counties have access to these materials, when clearly their governments are too incompetent to control them properly.

dipole said:
So does anyone know if they actually caught the robbers?

Also it really upsets me that these counties have access to these materials, when clearly their governments are too incompetent to control them properly.

Yes, the five robbers were arrested after they showed up in a hospital but showed no signs of radiation sickness.

We just had a major catastrophes in Japan and Russia and the US contaminated the whole planet with it's nuclear test program.
Compared to that, what happened in Mexico is rather harmless.
What I wonder: These devices have warnings all over. Is analphabetism still so widespread in rural Mexico?

Related to Stolen radioactive material found.

1. What is radioactive material?

Radioactive material is any substance that contains unstable atoms, which emit radiation in the form of particles or energy. This radiation can be harmful to living organisms and the environment.

2. How is radioactive material used in scientific research?

Radioactive material is used in a variety of scientific research, including medical imaging, cancer treatment, and studying the properties and behaviors of atoms. It can also be used as a power source in nuclear reactors.

3. How is radioactive material monitored and controlled?

Radioactive material is strictly regulated and monitored by government agencies to ensure its safe handling and disposal. Facilities that handle radioactive material are required to have strict safety protocols and regular inspections.

4. What are the dangers of stolen radioactive material?

Stolen radioactive material poses a serious threat to public health and safety, as well as the environment. It can be used to make dirty bombs, which spread radioactive material and cause widespread contamination. Exposure to stolen radioactive material can also lead to serious health effects, including radiation sickness and cancer.

5. How can stolen radioactive material be prevented and recovered?

To prevent stolen radioactive material, strict security measures are in place at facilities that handle it. In the event of a theft, authorities work quickly to recover the material and secure it to prevent any harm. Public cooperation and awareness can also play a crucial role in identifying and recovering stolen radioactive material.

Back