Stokes Thm - don't undestand this question fully

• Thread starter FrogPad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stokes
In summary, the question asks to compute the line integral -\int_C y\,\,\,dx along an ellipse and compare it to the double integral \int \int_S curl \vec v\,\,\, dx\,dy with the given conditions. The calculations should result in the same answer, which is the area of an ellipse.
FrogPad
Stokes Thm - I don't undestand this question fully

Question:
In Stoke's law, let [itex] v_1 = -y [/itex] and [itex] v_2 = 0 [/itex] to show that the area of S equals the line integral [itex] -\int_C y\,\,\,dx [/itex] . Find the area of an ellipse ([itex] x = a \cos t [/itex], [itex] y = b \sin t [/itex], [itex] x^2/a^2+y^2/b^2 = 1 [/itex], [itex] 0 \leq t \leq 2\pi [/itex]).

It's asking me to do the following:
1) Compute the line integral [itex] -\int_C y\,\,\,dx [/itex] along an ellipse.
2) Compute [itex] \int \int_S curl \vec v\,\,\, dx\,dy [/itex] with the conditions: [itex] v_1 = -y [/itex] and [itex] v_2 = 0 [/itex] along an ellipse.

And (1) should equal (2)?

This is how I'm interpretting the question, but my calculations are not agreeing. If my idea of how to interpret the question is correct I'll post my work. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's what it says. And it works out.

Show us your calculations.

Shoot. I was hoping I didn't understand the question :)
Ok.

So:

[tex] -\int_C y\,\,dx = -\int_C \vec F \cdot d\vec r [/tex]

[tex] \vec F = (y,0,0) [/tex]

[tex] \vec r = (a \cos t , b \sin t , 0 ) [/tex]

[tex] 0 \leq t \leq 2 \pi [/tex]

[tex] d\vec r = (-a \sin t , b \cos t , 0 ) dt [/tex]

-[tex] \int_0^{2\pi} (y)(-a \sin t )\,\, dt = \int_0^{2\pi}(b \sin t)(a \sin t)\,\, dt[/tex]

Damn. I should stop right there :( !
Last time I substituted [itex] y = a \sin t [/itex] so I was getting [itex] a^2 \pi [/itex] from the integral. Now it should come out to [itex] a b \pi [/itex] which IS the area of an ellipse, and is the same answer I'm geting for the double integral using Stoke's Thm...

well thanks for looking the question over for me :)

Last edited:

Related to Stokes Thm - don't undestand this question fully

1. What is Stokes' Theorem?

Stokes' Theorem is a fundamental theorem in multivariable calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field to the line integral of its curl along the boundary of the surface. It is named after Irish mathematician George Gabriel Stokes.

2. How is Stokes' Theorem used in science?

Stokes' Theorem is used extensively in physics and engineering to calculate the flow of fluids, magnetic fields, and other vector quantities. It is also used in differential geometry to study manifolds and their properties.

3. What is the difference between Stokes' Theorem and Green's Theorem?

Stokes' Theorem is a generalization of Green's Theorem in two dimensions. While Green's Theorem relates a line integral to a double integral over a region in the plane, Stokes' Theorem relates a surface integral to a line integral along the boundary of a surface in three dimensions.

4. Can you provide an example of using Stokes' Theorem?

One example of using Stokes' Theorem is to calculate the circulation of a vector field around a closed loop. This can be done by evaluating the line integral of the curl of the vector field along the boundary of the loop, which is equivalent to calculating the surface integral of the vector field over any surface bounded by the loop.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Stokes' Theorem?

To improve your understanding of Stokes' Theorem, it is important to have a strong foundation in vector calculus and multivariable calculus. It may also be helpful to work through practice problems and visualize the concept with diagrams or animations. Seeking guidance from a tutor or professor can also be beneficial in clarifying any confusion.