Stoke's Theorem Question with plane and sphere

In summary, the problem involves evaluating a surface integral using Stokes' Theorem. The first step is to find the equation of the intersection of the given plane and the sphere, which turns out to be a circle in the xz-plane. Then, using parametric equations, the integral can be evaluated over the surface of the sphere. The main challenge in this problem is finding the limits of integration, which can be done by using spherical coordinates.
mlb2358

Homework Statement

Let F =< yz + x, xz + 2x, xy + 3x >. Evaluate ∫F·dr where C is the intersection of the plane
2x + y − 3z = 0 and the sphere x2+ y2 + z2 = 4 oriented positively when viewed from above.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The main question I have about this problem regards the normal vector of the surface. Because the surface is just an isolated portion of the plane, I thought I could use the normal vector of the plane to calculate the surface integral. However, when I try this I don't get the right answer. Can someone explain why this shouldn't work and what the right way would be to find the normal vector?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have misunderstood the problem. You don't have a "normal vector to the surface" because you don't have a surface! You are asked to integrate around the intersection of the given plane and surface- and that is a curve, not a surface.

The simplest thing to do, I think, is to solve the equation of the plane for y: y= 3z- 2x. Putting that into the equation of the sphere we have [itex]x^2+ (3z- 2x)^3+ z^2= x^2+ 9z^2- 12xz+ 4x^2+ z^2= 5x^2- 12xz+ 10z^2= 4[/itex] which is the equation of a circle in the xz-plane. That can be written in parametric equations and then you can integrate around the circle.

I thought that by Stoke's Theorem ∫F·dr = ∫∫(∇xF)dS, which means that if I take the curl of F, I can use the surface instead of the boundary.

Yes! I just noticed that the title of your thread says "Stokes' theorem"! Sorry about that. You want to, then, integrate over the surface of the sphere. The differental of surface area on a sphere is [itex]\rho^2 sin(\phi)d\theta d\phi[/itex] and the "unit normal" will be [itex](1/\sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2})(\vec{i}+ \vec{j}+ \vec{k})[/itex]. The "hard part" of this problem, I think, will be finding the limits of integration. In spherical coordinates, [itex]x= \rho cos(\theta) sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]y= \rho sin(\theta) sin(\phi)[/itex], and [itex]z= \rho cos(\phi)[/itex]. On this sphere, of course, [itex]\rho= 2[/itex]. putting those into the equation of the plane give [itex]4cos(\theta)sin(\phi)+ 2sin(\theta)sin(\phi)- 6cos(\phi)= 0[/itex] so that [itex]6cos(\phi)= (4cos(\theta)+ 2sin(\theta))sin(\phi)[/itex] or [itex]tan(\phi)= (2/3)cos(\theta)+ (1/3)sin(\theta)[/itex]. Your integral should take [itex]\phi[/itex] from 0 to that and [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex].

Related to Stoke's Theorem Question with plane and sphere

1. What is Stoke's Theorem?

Stoke's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the line integral of the same vector field along the boundary of the surface.

2. How is Stoke's Theorem used in the context of a plane and a sphere?

In the context of a plane and a sphere, Stoke's Theorem can be used to calculate the circulation of a vector field over the surface of the sphere, by relating it to the line integral along the boundary of the sphere on the plane.

3. What is the equation for Stoke's Theorem for a plane and a sphere?

The equation for Stoke's Theorem for a plane and a sphere is:
∫∫S (curl F) · dS = ∫C F · dr
Where S is the surface of the sphere, C is the boundary of the sphere on the plane, F is the vector field, and dS and dr are the surface and line elements, respectively.

4. What are the conditions for Stoke's Theorem to be applicable to a plane and a sphere?

The conditions for Stoke's Theorem to be applicable to a plane and a sphere are:
1. The surface must be closed, meaning it has no boundary.
2. The vector field must be continuous and differentiable over the surface.
3. The boundary curve on the plane must be simple, meaning it does not cross itself.

5. How is Stoke's Theorem related to other fundamental theorems in calculus?

Stoke's Theorem is closely related to other fundamental theorems in calculus, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and Green's Theorem. In fact, Green's Theorem can be seen as a special case of Stoke's Theorem when the surface is a plane. Stoke's Theorem is also a higher-dimensional generalization of the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals.