Stokes Theorem Problem: Evaluating Line Integral with Vector Field

In summary, Homework Statement states that C is the closed curve that goes along straight lines from (0,0,0) to (1,0,1) to (1,1,1) to (0,1,0) and back to (0,0,0). F is the vector field that goes from (x^2 + y^2 + z^2) i + (xy + xz + yz) j + (x + y + z)k. The equation of the plane that is described by z=f(x,y) is found by taking the dot product of F with the gradient of the plane z-x=0.
Simfish
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let C be the closed curve that goes along straight lines from (0,0,0) to (1,0,1) to (1,1,1) to (0,1,0) and back to (0,0,0). Let F be the vector field [tex]F = (x^2 + y^2 + z^2) i + (xy + xz + yz) j + (x + y + z)k. Find \int F \cdot dr[/tex]

By Stokes Theorem, I know that I can transform this into a curl (instructions say don't evaluate the line integral directly).

So I know I get a form of square that goes CCW. Projected on the xz-plane, it is simply a square (but the y-coordinate of the right end is 1).

I think the plane is described by x = z, since there is no dependence on y. So x-z = 0

Anyways, I take the curl of F to get

[tex]F \cdot dr = (1-x-y) i + (1-2z) j + (y+z-2y) k.[/tex]

I take the dot product of this with the plane z - x = 0 to get

[tex] \nabla f = -i + k [/tex]

and dot that with F to get
[tex]F \cdot \nabla f = x + y -1 + y + z - 2y = x + z -1 [/tex]

so then

[tex]\int_0^1 \int_0^1 (x + z -1) dx dy.[/tex] Since x = z...

[tex]\int_0^1 \int_0^1 dx dy = \int_0^1 x^2 - x dy = \frac{1}{3} - \frac{1}{2} = - \frac{1}{6}[/tex]

am I doing this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Part of your LaTex didn't come through. How do you take the dot product of a vector with a plane?

And what do you mean by "dot that with F"?

You have [tex]F \cdot \nabla f [/tex]

That confuses me greatly. You have a function "F" but say nothing about "f". If you meant [itex]F \cdot \nabla F[/itex], that is not at all what you want.
Stokes theorem has
[tex]\int\int \nabla \times \vec{F}\cdot \vec{n}dA[/tex]

Okay, here you have the dot product of a vector with the gradient of the plane:
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/classes/calcIII/stokestheorem.aspx
(example 2). But this could be confusing, and there is an alternative way to express Stokes Theorem after the dot product has been taking.

This is Stokes Theorem as a surface integral. (the gradient approach to the surface integral is at http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/SurfIntVectorField.aspx )

As we know,

[tex]\int\int \nabla \times \vec{F}\cdot \vec{n}dA = \int\int F \cdot dS = \int\int -P \frac{\partial g}{\partial x} - Q \frac{\partial g}{\partial y} + R[/tex]

where
[tex]\nabla \times F(x,y,z) = P i + Q j + R k[/tex] and [tex] g = f(x,y) = z[/tex]

The equation of my plane should be z = f(x,y) = x, right? (the plane is f, and determined by "Let C be the closed curve that goes along straight lines from (0,0,0) to (1,0,1) to (1,1,1) to (0,1,0) and back to (0,0,0).")

in that case, [tex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial x} = 1, \frac{\partial g}{\partial y} = 0[/tex]

So correcting my arithmetic..

[tex]F \cdot \nabla f = -(1 - x - y) + y + z - 2y dA[/tex]
= [tex]\int_0^1 \int_0^1 -1 + x + z [/tex]

We take z = x. Is this an appropriate choice? If so

[tex]\int_0^1 \int_0^1 2x - 1 dx dy = \int_0^1 x^2 - x (1,0) = \int_0^1 0 ...[/tex]

what am I doing wrong here?

Last edited:
You set [tex]g = f(x,y) = z[/tex], so your D will be the projection of graph g at x-y plane.
You can substitute [tex]z=x[/tex] at there. I got zero as well for this question.

Related to Stokes Theorem Problem: Evaluating Line Integral with Vector Field

1. What is Stokes theorem?

Stokes theorem, also known as the generalized Stokes theorem, is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a surface to the line integral of the same vector field over the boundary of the surface.

2. What is the purpose of Stokes theorem?

The purpose of Stokes theorem is to provide a convenient method for evaluating line integrals by converting them into surface integrals. It also allows for the calculation of surface integrals over curved surfaces, which are often difficult to evaluate directly.

3. What are the conditions for applying Stokes theorem?

In order to apply Stokes theorem, the surface must be smooth, orientable, and have a closed boundary curve. Additionally, the vector field must be continuous and differentiable on the surface and its boundary.

4. How do you use Stokes theorem to solve a problem?

To use Stokes theorem to solve a problem, you first need to determine if the given problem satisfies the conditions for application. Then, you can evaluate the line integral over the boundary of the surface and the surface integral over the surface itself. Finally, you can apply Stokes theorem to equate the two integrals and solve for the desired variable.

5. What are some real-life applications of Stokes theorem?

Stokes theorem has many practical applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the work done by a force on a moving object, determining the circulation of a fluid around a closed loop, and analyzing fluid flow over a curved surface. It is also used in the study of electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and other areas of science and engineering.