Stoke's Theorem around a closed circle

In summary: On the left, with the circle in the xy-plane, dx and dy are just the counterclockwise arc length so what you have is the line integral around the circle of ydx- xdy.
ejs12006

Homework Statement

What is the line Integral of the function f = yi-xj+zk (where i,j,k, are cartesian unit vectors) around a circle with radius R centered at the origin?

Homework Equations

Stokes Theorem: i.e. the integreal of some function between a and b is equal to the difference in the values of the antiderivitive of that function evaluated at a and b.

The Attempt at a Solution

As I understand it, the answer should be zero; since the integral is over a closed circle (and since it is a continuous function with no sigularities). In this case, a=b, so the antiderivitive of f at a minus the anti-derivitive of f at b = 0.

antiderivitive of f: F= .5(y^2)i-.5(x^2)j+.5(z^2)k

Limits of integration: a=b

Apply Stokes Theorem:F(a)-F(b) =0

However, apparently the answer is 2*pi*(R^2) (the area of a circle). No explenation is given except that stokes theorem should be used . Any Ideas? I am almost certain there is an error in the solutiuons, but I would appreciate a second opinion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you integrate in a clockwise direction or the usual anti-clockwise manner?
If the questions asks you to do it clockwise then I found the answer to be 2*pi*(R^2).

---

Last edited by a moderator:
NO NO NO

Help stamp out this error. You refer to a theorem by somebody called Stoke. That is NOT what you want. The poor man's name was Stokes. Sir George Stokes. So...

correct: Stokes' Theorem ... or ... Stokes's Theorem

incorrect: Stoke's Theorem

Give Sir George his due!

What you state as Stoke's theorem is NOT- it is just the fundamental theorem of Calculus.

The Stokes' theorem as given in Calculus is
[itex]\oint_C \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r}= \int\int_S \nabla\times \vec{F} d\vec{S}[/itex]
where C is the boundary of the surface S.

What is sometimes called Stokes' theorem in advanced itexematics, or the "generalized" Stokes' theorem is
[itex]\int_{d\sigma} \omega= \int_\sigma d\omega[/itex]
where [itex]\sigma[/itex] is a simply connected manifold with boundary [itex]d\sigma[/itex] and [itex]\omega[/itex] is a differential form with differential [itex]d\omega[/itex].

Since this is in 3 dimensions, there are an infinite number of "circle with radius R centered at the origin". Is any information given as to which is intended?

Last edited by a moderator:
The circle is in the x-y plane, Sorry about that.

Ok it makes sense that what I've written above is just the fundamental theorem of calculus, but shouldn't it still apply? i.e. the answer of 0 is still valid?

OK so I actually did it out and I get the right answer. But if anyone can explain how Stokes' theorem applies here, that would be much appreciated.

Well you probably couldn't read what HallsofIvy said because his/her LaTeX wasn't in the form this forum could read.

Stokes' Theorem:

[tex]\int\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r}=\int(\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{F})\cdot d\vec{S}[/tex]

It says that instead of taking the line integral, you can change it into a flux integral of the curl(F) through the area bounded by the circle or, more generally, a curve C.

Also, the fundamental theorem does not say that F(b) - F(a) = 0. A line integral is 0 only when you integrate through a conservative vector field around a closed path. The field you provided is not conservative, so despite being a closed path, that line integral will not be 0. (To verify that, take the curl of that vector field. It is conservative if and only if the curl(F) is 0, which it is not.)

EDIT: You might want to look up the definition of a conservative vector field. I realized that I brought that up without explaining what it meant. Go to Paul's Online Math Notes. That site has a lot of answers to questions from students in maths ranging from Calcs 1 to 3, DE, and Linear Algebra.

Last edited:
Because this circle is in the xy-plane, z= 0 and "Stokes' Theorem" reduces to "Green's Theorem" applied to the function [itex]y\vec{i}- x\vec{j}[/itex].

Greens theorem says
[tex]\oint P(x,y)dx+ Q(x,y)dy= \int\int \left(\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial P}{\partial y}\right) dxdy[/tex].

For this problem, P(x,y)= y and Q(x,y)= -x so the integral on the right is just -2 times the area of the circle.

Related to Stoke's Theorem around a closed circle

1. What is Stoke's Theorem around a closed circle?

Stoke's Theorem is a mathematical formula that relates the surface integral of a vector field to the line integral of the same vector field along the boundary of the surface. When applied to a closed circle, it states that the line integral of a vector field around the circle is equal to the surface integral of the curl of the vector field over the region enclosed by the circle.

2. How is Stoke's Theorem used in physics?

In physics, Stoke's Theorem is used to calculate the circulation of a vector field around a closed loop, which is a measure of the fluid flow or electric current around that loop. It is also used to determine the flux of a vector field through a closed surface, which is a measure of the flow of a fluid or electric charge through that surface.

3. Can Stoke's Theorem be applied to any closed curve?

No, Stoke's Theorem can only be applied to closed curves that lie on a plane. This means that the curve must be two-dimensional and cannot intersect itself. Additionally, the curve must have a consistent orientation, meaning that the direction of travel must be the same along the entire curve.

4. What is the relationship between Stoke's Theorem and Green's Theorem?

Stoke's Theorem is a generalization of Green's Theorem, which relates the line integral of a vector field to the double integral of the curl of the vector field over a region in the plane. Green's Theorem can be thought of as the special case of Stoke's Theorem for a closed curve in a two-dimensional space.

5. What are some real-world applications of Stoke's Theorem around a closed circle?

Stoke's Theorem has many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the flow of fluids or electric currents in closed systems. It is also used in fields like meteorology to study the circulation of winds and ocean currents. In addition, Stoke's Theorem is used in computer graphics to simulate fluid flow and in electromagnetics to analyze the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.