Stoichiometry with enzymes and temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving catalase and hydrogen peroxide, with a focus on the effects of temperature on the production of oxygen. The other variables being tested are the concentration of h2o2 and catalase. The theoretical yield was calculated and was found to be close to the actual yield. However, the time of reaction is not a reliable measure for enzymes and rates of reaction. It is expected that the rate of reaction will increase with temperature, but at higher temperatures, the enzyme may become denatured and the reaction may not be completed. Therefore, it is not meaningful to try to fit the data to a parabolic relationship.
thestudent101
I'm currently doing an EEI with catalase and hydrogen peroxide. I'm just wondering about the effects of increasing the temperature of the catalase and h2o2. For example, if I get 50mL of oxygen produced when both are at 40°C and the reaction occurs for 8 seconds. If I decrease the temperature to 30°C, 20°C and 10°C what should I expect to happen with the time and amount of oxygen produced? The same goes for if I increase it to 50°C and 60°C. Should the amount of oxygen being produced form a parabolic relationship, peaking at 40°C, or will there simply be no oxygen produced at certain temperatures?

Temperature is one of our three variables being tested, the other two being the concentration of h2o2 and catalase.

I have calculated the theoretical yield and our actual yields are very close. I was not able to calculate the time the reaction should occur for with the catalase concentrations increasing however I would like to have some calculations for the temperatures. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
thestudent101 said:
I'm currently doing an EEI with catalase and hydrogen peroxide. I'm just wondering about the effects of increasing the temperature of the catalase and h2o2. For example, if I get 50mL of oxygen produced when both are at 40°C and the reaction occurs for 8 seconds. If I decrease the temperature to 30°C, 20°C and 10°C what should I expect to happen with the time and amount of oxygen produced? The same goes for if I increase it to 50°C and 60°C. Should the amount of oxygen being produced form a parabolic relationship, peaking at 40°C, or will there simply be no oxygen produced at certain temperatures?

Temperature is one of our three variables being tested, the other two being the concentration of h2o2 and catalase.

I have calculated the theoretical yield and our actual yields are very close. I was not able to calculate the time the reaction should occur for with the catalase concentrations increasing however I would like to have some calculations for the temperatures. Thanks.

We really have to guess what you mean. E.g. by theoretical yield. I guess you mean the moles of O2 produced were half the number of moles of H2O2you put there. ?

I don't know what an EEI is and I don't know how youB are doing the experiments. It sounds like you are measuring the volume of O2 produced after 8 sec varying the other factors. ?

I don't like hearing of 'time of reaction' for an enzyme or any other reaction. RATES of reaction are the only thing that means anything. If you assume the rate is constant then you might hope you are estimating a rate from what you call the time of reaction (again guessing what you are really doing).

I would not bother to do calculations with experients as crude as these sound. They sound intended to give qualitative results only.

As a rule rates of reactions increase with temperature. But at higher temperatures the enzyme catalyst may be inactivated (denatured). If this happens at 60 deg within your 'reaction time' then you may see your 'reaction time' increase or the reaction not be' completed at the higher temperature/s. It doesn't mean anything to try and fit to a parabola or anything else.

Related to Stoichiometry with enzymes and temperature

1. What is stoichiometry and how is it related to enzymes and temperature?

Stoichiometry is the study of the quantitative relationships between the amounts of reactants and products in a chemical reaction. In the context of enzymes and temperature, stoichiometry refers to the precise balance of reactants and products in an enzymatic reaction, which can be affected by changes in temperature.

2. How does temperature affect enzyme activity?

Temperature affects enzyme activity by altering the rate at which enzymes catalyze reactions. As temperature increases, so does the rate of reaction, up to a certain point. However, if the temperature becomes too high, the enzyme may denature and lose its ability to function.

3. What is the optimal temperature for enzyme activity?

The optimal temperature for enzyme activity varies depending on the specific enzyme. Generally, enzymes have a temperature range of 35-40°C in which they function optimally. However, some enzymes may have optimal temperatures as low as 0°C or as high as 100°C.

4. How does stoichiometry change with temperature in an enzyme-catalyzed reaction?

Stoichiometry may change with temperature in an enzyme-catalyzed reaction due to differences in reaction rates. As temperature increases, the rate of reaction increases, potentially leading to a higher yield of product. However, if the temperature becomes too high, the enzyme may denature and the stoichiometry may be affected.

5. What is the role of enzymes in regulating temperature in living organisms?

Enzymes play a crucial role in regulating temperature in living organisms by acting as catalysts for biochemical reactions. They help to maintain a stable internal temperature, or homeostasis, by speeding up reactions that generate heat and slowing down reactions that release heat. Without enzymes, living organisms would have a much harder time maintaining a consistent body temperature.