Stochastic Differential Equation using Ito's Lemma

In summary: Sure, let's start with this. Suppose you have a process $dY_t = \mu_t dt + \sigma_t\, dX_t$ where $X_t$ is a Brownian motion. If $T > 0$ and $f(t, x)$ is a function that is in $C^{1,2}_{t, x}([0, T] ;(0,\infty))$, that is, continuously differentiable with respect to $t$ on $[0, T]$ and continuously twice-differentiable with respect to $x$ on $\Bbb (0,\infty)$, then $f(t, Y
cdbsmith
I am new to SDE, and especially Ito's Lemma. I have a question that I simply cannot answer. It attached.

Can someone please help?

Attachments

• Q1 - Itos Lemma.png
    Q1 - Itos Lemma.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 62
Physics news on Phys.org
cdbsmith said:
I am new to SDE, and especially Ito's Lemma. I have a question that I simply cannot answer. It attached.

Can someone please help?

Hi cdbsmith,

Let $u = \log y $, $\mu_t = \alpha - \beta u$, and $\sigma_t = \delta$. Then $du = \mu_t dt + \sigma_t dX_t$. Let $g(u) = e^u$. We have by Ito's lemma

$\displaystyle dg = \left(g'(u)\mu_t + \frac{g"(u)}{2}\sigma_t^2\right) dt + g'(u)\sigma_t\, dX_t $,

$\displaystyle dg = \left[e^u(\alpha -\beta u) + \frac{e^u}{2}\delta^2\right] dt + e^u\delta\, dX_t$,

$\displaystyle \frac{d(e^u)}{e^u} =(\alpha - \beta u + \frac{1}{2}\delta^2) dt + \delta\, dX_t$,

$\displaystyle \frac{dy}{y} = (\alpha - \beta\log y + \frac{1}{2}\delta^2) dt + \delta\, dX_t$.

Euge said:
Hi cdbsmith,

Let $u = \log y $, $\mu_t = \alpha - \beta u$, and $\sigma_t = \delta$. Then $du = \mu_t dt + \sigma_t dX_t$. Let $g(u) = e^u$. We have by Ito's lemma

$\displaystyle dg = \left(g'(u)\mu_t + \frac{g"(u)}{2}\sigma_t^2\right) dt + g'(u)\sigma_t\, dX_t $,

$\displaystyle dg = \left[e^u(\alpha -\beta u) + \frac{e^u}{2}\delta^2\right] dt + e^u\delta\, dX_t$,

$\displaystyle \frac{d(e^u)}{e^u} =(\alpha - \beta u + \frac{1}{2}\delta^2) dt + \delta\, dX_t$,

$\displaystyle \frac{dy}{y} = (\alpha - \beta\log y + \frac{1}{2}\delta^2) dt + \delta\, dX_t$.

Thanks, Euge!

But, can you explain to me the steps? Ito's Lemma is confusing for me and I'm having a hard time understanding it.

Thanks again!

cdbsmith said:
Thanks, Euge!

But, can you explain to me the steps? Ito's Lemma is confusing for me and I'm having a hard time understanding it.

Thanks again!

Sure, let's start with this. Suppose you have a process $dY_t = \mu_t dt + \sigma_t\, dX_t$ where $X_t$ is a Brownian motion. If $T > 0$ and $f(t, x)$ is a function that is in $C^{1,2}_{t, x}([0, T] ;(0,\infty))$, that is, continuously differentiable with respect to $t$ on $[0, T]$ and continuously twice-differentiable with respect to $x$ on $\Bbb (0,\infty)$, then $f(t, Y_t)$ satisfies the SDE

$\displaystyle df(t, Y_t) = \left(f_t + \mu_t f_x + \frac{\sigma_t^2}{2} f_{xx}\right) dt + \sigma_t f_x \, dX_t$.

This is a version of Ito's lemma which is applicable to several SDE. Now there are more general versions of the lemma which deal with cases where $X_t$ is a semi-martingale, but for your problem the above formula will do.

In your SDE, I let $u = \log y$ so that $y = e^u := g(u)$. Then I can find $dy$ by using Ito's formula with $g$. Note that $g$ is independent of $t$, so $g_t = 0$. That's how I got

$\displaystyle dg = \left(g'(u)\mu_t + \frac{g''(u)}{2}\sigma_t^2\right) dt + g'(u)\sigma_t$.

I hope this helps.

Hello there,

I understand that you are new to Stochastic Differential Equations (SDE) and Ito's Lemma. I would be happy to provide some clarification for you.

SDE is a type of differential equation that involves randomness or uncertainty. It is often used in mathematical models to describe systems that are subject to random fluctuations, such as stock prices or weather patterns.

Ito's Lemma is a mathematical tool used to solve SDEs. It allows us to calculate the expected value of a function of a stochastic process, which is a key component in solving SDEs.

Now, for your question, I would need more context to provide a specific answer. However, I can explain the general process of using Ito's Lemma to solve an SDE.

First, we need to define the stochastic process in question, which is typically denoted by dX(t). Then, we apply Ito's Lemma to find the differential of the function we are interested in, denoted by dF(X(t)). This differential can then be used to solve the SDE.

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding of SDE and Ito's Lemma. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Stochastic Differential Equation using Ito's Lemma

1. What is a Stochastic Differential Equation (SDE)?

A Stochastic Differential Equation (SDE) is a mathematical equation used to model systems that involve random or uncertain factors. These equations take into account both deterministic and stochastic (random) components, making them useful for modeling real-world systems that are affected by both known and unknown variables.

2. What is Ito's Lemma?

Ito's Lemma is a mathematical theorem used to solve Stochastic Differential Equations. It allows for the calculation of the derivative of a function with respect to a stochastic variable, which is necessary for solving SDEs.

3. How is Ito's Lemma used in SDEs?

Ito's Lemma is used to find the solution to SDEs by taking the derivative of a function with respect to a stochastic variable and then using this in the SDE equation. It is often used in finance to model the evolution of stock prices over time.

4. What are some real-world applications of SDEs?

SDEs are commonly used in various fields such as finance, physics, biology, and engineering. In finance, they are used to model stock prices, interest rates, and exchange rates. In physics, SDEs are used to model the movement of particles in a fluid. In biology, they are used to model population growth and the spread of diseases. In engineering, SDEs are used to model the evolution of systems affected by random factors, such as traffic flow or weather patterns.

5. What are the limitations of using SDEs?

One of the main limitations of SDEs is that they are based on assumptions and simplifications of real-world systems, so the results may not always accurately reflect the true behavior of the system. Additionally, SDEs require a significant amount of computational power and can be challenging to solve analytically, leading to the need for numerical methods. They also rely on the accuracy of the input data and assumptions made, which can lead to inaccurate results if they are incorrect.