Stochastic differential equations question. An over view

In summary, Oksendal discusses the use of Ito and Stratonovich calculus to solve differential equations involving random variables. This involves converting the differential equation into a recurrence relation, which can then be solved using Ito's lemma. However, for non-Markovian processes, this approach may not be applicable due to the presence of correlations with previous times. Other fields, such as biology, physics, finance, and electrical engineering, also deal with randomness and may have different techniques for solving stochastic differential equations.
rigetFrog
I've been reading Oksendal, and it's quite tedious. It want to see if my understanding of the motivation and process is correct.

1) Differential equations that have random variables need special techniques to be solved

2) Ito and Stratonovich extended calculus to apply to random variables.

3) Oksendal uses Ito/Stratonovch calculus to solve differential equations.

4) This method works by converting the differential equation into a recurrence relations (e.g. of the form x(t+1) = x(t)+dt*(a*x(t)+'noise'))

5) This sort of problem can be solved. I.e. The probability P(x(t+1)) can be solved by convolving P(x(t)) with the probability of everything in dt term.

What other nuggets of info should I be taking away from this book?

Are there other techniques for solving stochastic differential equations that don't require converting into recurrence relations?

For EE people, they're typically happy once they have the filter frequency response.

It would be cool to see an over view of how each field (bio, physics, finance, EE, etc...) deals with randomness.

Physics news on Phys.org
Typically, you solve the SDE by converting to the associated (Ito or Stratanovich) integral equation. Only the integral equation has a rigorous definition (calculated from the mean square limit) since random processes are very often nowhere differentiable.

Solving an Ito integral sometimes can be done by using Ito's lemma, which is basically the chain rule for Ito calculus. In this way, you can find, for example, that the Langevin equation's solution is the Orstein-Uhlenbeck process (sometimes the OU process itself is defined from the Langevin equation).

The recurrence relations you mention is valid for a Markov process and it looks to me like a regular Langevin equation (if I misspeak, please correct me). But for non-Markovian processes (processes which have "memory"), that equation might not be possible, you will get terms with correlations with previous times. Still, the Ito calculus is well defined for any adapted (non-anticipating) process over a semi-martingale.

Likes 1 person

Related to Stochastic differential equations question. An over view

1. What are stochastic differential equations (SDEs)?

Stochastic differential equations are mathematical models that describe the evolution of a system over time, taking into account both deterministic and random factors. They are used in various fields such as physics, finance, and biology to model complex systems.

2. How are SDEs different from regular differential equations?

SDEs incorporate a random element, usually represented by a Wiener process or Brownian motion, whereas regular differential equations only consider deterministic factors. This makes SDEs more suitable for modeling systems with inherent randomness and uncertainty.

3. What is the importance of SDEs in scientific research?

SDEs are important in scientific research as they provide a way to model and understand complex systems that exhibit both deterministic and stochastic behavior. They are also used extensively in data analysis and forecasting, particularly in fields such as finance and economics.

4. What are some applications of SDEs?

SDEs have a wide range of applications in various fields. In physics, they are used to model particle motion and diffusion processes. In finance, they are used to model stock prices and financial derivatives. In biology, they can be used to model population dynamics and genetic evolution.

5. What are some techniques for solving SDEs?

There are several techniques for solving SDEs, including the Euler-Maruyama method, the Milstein method, and the Runge-Kutta method. These methods involve discretizing the SDE and using numerical integration to approximate the solution. Monte Carlo simulations and finite difference methods are also commonly used for solving SDEs.