How to Calculate Energy and Work in a Stirling Cycle?

In summary: It should be: Q_H = n*C_v*(T_H-T_C) + n*NkT_H*ln(V_big/V_small) where n is the number of moles (282 in this case). This gives an answer of 4.34 x 10^8 J.For Question 3, I used Q_C = NkT_C*ln(Vsmall/Vbig) and got -1.76 x 10^8 JFor Question 3, I used Q_C = NkT_C*ln(Vsmall/Vbig) and got -1.76 x 10^8 J.You're on the right track with this equation, but again, you need to include the number of moles.
mathpialpha

Homework Statement

Suppose that 282 moles of a monatomic ideal gas is initially contained in a piston with a volume of 0.81 m^3 at a temperature of 574 K. The piston is connected to a hot reservoir with a temperature of 1365 K and a cold reservoir with a temperature of 574 K. The gas undergoes a quasi-static Stirling cycle with the following steps:

1. The temperature of the gas is increased to 1365 K while maintaining a constant volume.
2. The volume of the gas is increased to 3.13 m^3 while maintaining a constant temperature.
3. The temperature of the gas is decreased to 574 K while maintaining a constant volume.
4. The volume of the gas is decreased to 0.81 m^3 while maintaining a constant temperature.

It may help you to recall that C_V = 12.47 J/K/mole for a monatomic ideal gas, and that the number of gas molecules is equal to Avagadros number (6.022 × 10^23) times the number of moles of the gas.

1) What is the pressure of the gas under its initial conditions?
I got this question correct and it is 1661921.138 Pa

2) How much energy is transferred into the gas from the hot reservoir?

3) How much energy is transferred out of the gas into the cold reservoir?

4) How much work is done by the gas during this cycle?

5) What is the efficiency of this Stirling cycle?

6) What is the maximum (Carnot) efficiency of a heat engine running between these two reservoirs?
I got this question correct and it is 0.579487

I need help with questions #2-5

Homework Equations

Q_H = Q_C + W_(By Engine)
PV =NKT
work = NK*T_H*ln(Vbig/Vsmall)
Q_H = C_v(T_H - T_C) + work

The Attempt at a Solution

I got questions #1 and #6 correct. I tried using the equations above for the other problems but I cannot get the correct answer[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
You should write your attempts at solving the problem else it's difficult to understand your mistake and point you in the right direction. Also your equation for work in an isothermic is wrong. ##W=Q=nKTln\frac{V_f}{V_i}##, where ##V_f## and ##V_i## are final and initial volumes of the isothermic.

Gianmarco said:
You should write your attempts at solving the problem else it's difficult to understand your mistake and point you in the right direction. Also your equation for work in an isothermic is wrong. ##W=Q=nKTln\frac{V_f}{V_i}##, where ##V_f## and ##V_i## are final and initial volumes of the isothermic.

For Question 2, I used Q_H = C_v(T_H-T_C) + NkT_H*ln(Vbig/Vsmall) and got 4337132.48 J

mathpialpha said:
For Question 2, I used Q_H = C_v(T_H-T_C) +...
You're not accounting for the number of moles in your expression for the change of internal energy of the system

What is the Stirling Cycle Problem?

The Stirling Cycle Problem is a thermodynamic challenge that involves designing an engine that can convert heat energy into mechanical work.

What is the purpose of the Stirling Cycle Problem?

The purpose of the Stirling Cycle Problem is to create an efficient and reliable engine that can be used in various applications, such as power generation and transportation.

What are the main components of a Stirling engine?

A Stirling engine typically consists of a hot heat source, a cold heat sink, a working gas, and a mechanism for moving the gas between the hot and cold regions.

What are the advantages of Stirling engines?

Stirling engines have a high efficiency, low emissions, and can use a variety of fuels. They also have fewer moving parts compared to other types of engines, making them more reliable and requiring less maintenance.

What are some challenges in designing a Stirling engine?

Some challenges in designing a Stirling engine include finding the optimal ratio of hot to cold heat exchanger size, balancing the pressure and volume of the working gas, and preventing heat loss from the system.