Still unclear on superposition

In summary: But the thermal superposition has a particular form that dictates the interference pattern.In summary, the article discusses how the usual Von-Neumann measurement of a quantum system can actually become a POVM when the system is probed to observe it. This approach, starting from POVM's, is a better way to understand quantum mechanics and eliminates confusion about collapse, conscious observers, and other concepts. The double slit experiment proves that electrons must be thought of as being in a superposition of states at the same time, with the number of possible outcomes being infinite. This superposition state cannot be one of the real states of an observable, but is a mathematical abstraction used to calculate probabilities correctly. The quantum system in an eigenstate
mike1000
bhobba said:
Sort of.

See:
http://www.quantum.umb.edu/Jacobs/QMT/QMT_Chapter1.pdf

If you probe a system to observe it, it actually becomes a POVM rather than the usual Von-Neumann measurement described by an operator.

That's why my link that starts from POVM's in the actual axiom is a better approach and you see immediately collapse has nothing to do with anything, neither does a conscious observer or many of the other things people get confused about.

Thanks
Bill

Pages 20 and 21 of this article, http://www.quantum.umb.edu/Jacobs/QMT/QMT_Chapter1.pdf, appear to prove that electrons in the double slit experiment must be thought of as actually being in the superposition of two states at the same time. He uses the interference term in the probability distribution to justify his proof. I would be very much interested if someone(s) with more knowledge than me can read pages 20 and 21 and provide a technical review. (I have read other articles where it is stated that the interference in the double slit experiment comes from the fact that the electrons travel different path lengths when going through the different slits caused by the differing distance the electron is from each slit)

Physics news on Phys.org
mike1000 said:
appear to prove that electrons in the double slit experiment must be thought of as actually being in the superposition of two states at the same time.

They are in a superposition of an innumerable number of states in many many different ways at the same time. Do you actually know what a vector space is? How many ways can real numbers be summed to make 1? And that decomposition is all at the same time. Its exactly the same with superposition. In fact real numbers obey the axioms of a vector space which you should look up.

Thanks
Bill

Likes PeroK
mike1000 said:
I have read other articles where it is stated that the interference in the double slit experiment comes from the fact that the electrons travel different path lengths when going through the different slits caused by the differing distance the electron is from each slit

I have posted the correct analysis many many times. The above is sort of correct but only sort of.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
They are in a superposition of an innumerable number of states in many many different ways at the same time. Do you actually know what a vector space is? How many ways can real numbers be summed to make 1? And that decomposition is all at the same time. Its exactly the same with superposition. In fact real numbers obey the axioms of a vector space which you should look up.

Thanks
Bill

They are in a superposition in the same way that a die is in a superposition when you shaking it before the role. It is a mathematical abstraction that allows us to calculate the probabilities correctly. It is the way you calculate probabilities in n-dimensional vector space.

For each different orthonormal basis there is a corresponding decomposition of the probability amplitudes. I assume this is what you mean by they are in a superposition in many different ways. But this also tells you that this superposition is not an actual physical state of the particle.

The superposition state cannot be one of the real states of an observable. Why? Because it is not a possible outcome. There are only n possible outcomes given by the n eigenvalues for the operator matrix. If you consider a superposition state to also be an allowed outcome then the number of possible outcomes increases, infact the number of possible outcomes would be infinite for every obsevable.

Yes I know what is a vector space. Let me ask you a question. When you are shaking 1 six side die, do you consider the die to be in a superposition of all six possibilities?

mike1000 said:
The superposition state cannot be one of the real states of an observable. Why? Because it is not a possible outcome.
This is where the classical picture breaks down. A quantum system in an eigenstate of ##\hat{S}_x## is in a superposition of eigenstates of ##\hat{S}_z##.

Likes bhobba
mike1000 said:
They are in a superposition in the same way that a die is in a superposition when you shaking it before the role.

That's wrong.

And the answer to your question is no.

I can't get inside you head to know if you understand what a vector space is, but your response suggests not.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
That's wrong.

And the answer to your question is no.

I can't get inside you head to know if you understand what a vector space is, but your response suggests not.

Thanks
Bill

I am not sure that you understand what is a vector space. Frankly, I do not see why you are making such a big issue of this. I do not think that you are thinking about this correctly. Your answer suggests to me that you support the proposition that a particle can be in two, mutually exclusive states at the same time. I would like you to explain, simply why you believe that.

Likes zonde and Mentz114
mike1000 said:
I am not sure that you understand what is a vector space. Frankly, I do not see why you are making such a big issue of this. I do not think that you are thinking about this correctly. Your answer suggests to me that you support the proposition that a particle can be in two, mutually exclusive states at the same time. I would like you to explain, simply why you believe that.

I think what we are being told is that the same physical state may be described using different 'coordinates' - ie a change of basis. This requires that the state vector is in a vector space. So a state z-spin = 1 ( setting ##\hbar=1##) can also be described as a 'superposition' of thermal x and y spins.

Hence, I don't think any spin property has two values at once.

Regarding interference, you are right to be skeptical about the role of superposition and examine each case.

mike1000 said:
Your answer suggests to me that you support the proposition that a particle can be in two, mutually exclusive states at the same time. I would like you to explain, simply why you believe that.
Thousands of experiments lead to this conclusion. It is not a matter of belief, it is a scientific result.

You asked for help from people with more knowledge. You got replies from experts. Now you question the knowledge of these experts - and not even for something advanced, but very elementary mathematics?

Likes bhobba
mike1000 said:
I am not sure that you understand what is a vector space.
I'm sure he does.
Frankly, I do not see why you are making such a big issue of this.
Because it's the fundamental set structure in the definition of superposition.

Thread closed.

Likes vanhees71

Related to Still unclear on superposition

What is superposition?

Superposition is a principle in quantum mechanics that states that a physical system can exist in multiple states at the same time until it is observed or measured. This means that an object can exist in multiple locations or states simultaneously.

How does superposition impact our understanding of reality?

Superposition challenges our classical understanding of reality, where an object can only exist in one state at a time. It suggests that the true nature of reality may be more complex and mysterious than we previously thought.

What is the Schrödinger's cat thought experiment and how does it relate to superposition?

Schrödinger's cat is a thought experiment that illustrates the concept of superposition. It involves a hypothetical cat in a sealed box with a vial of poison and a radioactive substance that has a 50/50 chance of decaying. According to quantum mechanics, until the box is opened and observed, the cat can be both alive and dead at the same time, demonstrating the principle of superposition.

How is superposition used in practical applications?

Superposition has been successfully applied in technologies such as quantum computing and cryptography. It also plays a crucial role in technologies like MRI machines and GPS systems.

Is superposition a proven phenomenon?

Superposition has been repeatedly observed and verified in experiments, making it an accepted principle in quantum mechanics. However, the true nature of superposition and its implications for our understanding of reality are still being explored and debated by scientists.